PDA

View Full Version : Skinner mid-week 7/22-23 some boils!

P.A.W.
07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Monday was cloudy and still and the stripers were jumping into the boat. Played catch and release all day. Hit like 4 double hookups on the rig. So I had a friend wanting to go out and I told him it was wide open. Tues. we hit the water and things were not the same. Bright blue skies had them running all over. We did manage some fish but not nearly the numbers I saw just the day before.

One thing of note were the boils. Saw the first around 9:00. Short lived and they weren't taking our offerings. Went back to trolling and ran into more boils near the main buoy line in open water. We chased that thing around for over 1/2 an hour and finally got 1 fish out of it. It disappeared for a while the it came back, this time headed right for us. I was amazed to see in the still clear water a pod of well over 100 1-2 pound stripers. I mean this thing was huge. I am sure now the population is in goooood shape.

LMB was slow today and stripey was around but a grind compared to just 24 hours before. That's Skinner for 'ya.

Hardcor
07-23-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm glad you had a good day P.A.W. You earned it ! Great report ! It's good to know you got some Stripers to be slayed !

Monday at Silverwood was just the opposite. The lake was green and at full pool. Weeds everywhere and it was a dinkfest !

Thank you for the report ! Boils at Skinner or Biggen's at Castaic ! I better call Bob !

Harley51
07-24-2013, 03:11 PM
It was nice to finally meet you. Thanks for the tips.

JAG107
07-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Man, you're slaying them while I'm stuck at work! Maybe I'll swing by Saturday if I can come to terms with parting with my Silverwood band!

P.A.W.
07-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Hey Jag! As you see from the post it has been on and off. Monday it was nice and cloudy so they were turned on while Tuesday got tough. I'll let you know how the week progresses. I have a few more days of vacation so I'll be there Thursday and Friday for sure. We'll see about the weekend. I'm getting spoiled out there with 6 boats on the lake.

TroutOnly
07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
cloud cover pat thats the deal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

P.A.W.
07-25-2013, 02:00 PM
42092I'll just keep this thread going for the week instead of a separate one for each trip. Stayed home Wednesday but out again Thursday. Like clockwork the boil came up at 9:00 but didn't last long. However the lake is teeming with bait and the wildlife is all over it. Ducks, coots, birds of all kinds, and fish are feeding too. Just cruise around and find a bait ball, there will be fish on it. Check out this screen shot on my finder. This was typical.

P.A.W.
07-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Friday 7-26.... cloudy, still, warm, humid.... perfect topwater conditions so I went straight to LMB fishing. Got hit on my Excaliber (like a Sammy) right out of the gate. Went a little deeper with a LC pointer... another hit. After a while things slowed a little so I grabbed my creature bait. A couple 4+lbers. Around 9:30 I took a break and put out the Urig, sat down and had doughnuts and coffee while trolling. Stripers were on the chew too. Just a good day all around for those who know the lake somewhat.

fishinone
07-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks for reporting.

I love having striper running straight toward the boat when I can see them. I've had them trap the shad right against the bottom of my boat and watched them grab the lures.