PDA

View Full Version : Alabama rig set up questions

Fishingkid97
07-23-2013, 12:15 PM
I returned a rod to wright and McGill under warranty a worm rod and got a Alabama rod I've only fished a Alabama rig a hand full of times. I usaully just fished it on my big swim bait setup. We'll now that I have this rod if like to find a reel to match it so I can learn to fish the Alabama rig any suggestions on reels recommended for this application? The rod is the skeet Reese series Alabama rig rod thanks for the input.

DarkShadow
07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
I returned a rod to wright and McGill under warranty a worm rod and got a Alabama rod I've only fished a Alabama rig a hand full of times. I usaully just fished it on my big swim bait setup. We'll now that I have this rod if like to find a reel to match it so I can learn to fish the Alabama rig any suggestions on reels recommended for this application? The rod is the skeet Reese series Alabama rig rod thanks for the input.

I guess the only input I can give is not to get a reel with a high gear ratio, since you'll need some type of torque to handle the weight of the A-rig.

Budget?

Fishingkid97
07-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Thank you for the input I didn't think of it that way I was looking at it backwards I guess.

DarkShadow
07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Thank you for the input I didn't think of it that way I was looking at it backwards I guess.

Yeah, theoretically, a lower gear ratio = more torque.*

You don't want to tow a huge boat with a Ferrari.

*NOW HAVING SAID THAT....

I really can't tell the difference between my Core with 7.0 gear ratio and my Core with the 6.2. It almost seems like Shimano's HEG gearing makes the torque thing a moot point.

Fishingkid97
07-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Ok thank you ill take sine time looking around online for a reel to match with this rod. I have not thrown a umbrella rig enough I picked up a cheap one at Walmart last year and have only thrown it a few times I'm Hopeing to learn to fish this rig effectively.

planb
07-27-2013, 05:43 PM
We fish for freshwater stripers between 10-15 lbs. and I've been throwing a Bama rig with 6 inch arms with 3/8 oz. jig heads w/ 4" swim shads on a 7'6" MH rod with an Ambassadeur 6500 spooled with 50# Suffix 832 w/ 30# mono leader and I'm real happy with the performance. I used a lighter rod previously and felt like it was making me and the reel work to hard. It's a workhorse and does the job with ease. Good luck.

dockboy
08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
The reel isnt important, the rod is. You need a bit of tip....not much, but enough that you can feel when the rig is running correctly. There are plenty of good A-rig rods out there. I've fished lighter setups (5 arm poly head with 1/8 & 1/4 oz heads) on something like a 7'3" MH just fine. I like a 6:2:1 reel in case you fish shallower. You can change up the head weights to match the depth, but in 5' of water no 5:1 reel can really keeping the rig up off the bottom. It helps to have multiple rigs. I like the one made by Black Dog under the B&D name at TW. Its strong, light, and pretty easy to balance. The Flash Mob Jr from Yum is good, it has a lead head which keeps it down deeper for a smaller rig with blades.