PDA

View Full Version : surf fishing questions

DynoDan
07-23-2013, 10:44 AM
okay guys I want to start to surf fish and I need to know what size test and what kind of tackle I need. Just want to stay local so seal beach or bolsa chica for any spots. Please pm also bait, how far I need to cast out etc. Thanks for your help.

ErikAllen17
07-23-2013, 12:11 PM
I've never been surf fishing, but have been reading a TON of information about it. I actually read Bill Varney's Surf Fishing book in less than 24 hours. I'm going to give it a try on Friday this week... I can't wait. So, to answer your questions, this is what I've learned so far (and will be doing myself on Friday). This info will change depending on what type of fish you're going for... but I'll write down a "general fishing" guide.

Rod: Anything will work, but 7' and above seem to be the best choices. Medium to heavy action.
Reel: 2000 or 2500 series or above, should have minimum 200 yard capacity
Line: Mono backing; 6-12lb test; pink or red preferred. Use a flouro leader about 20% heavier than the mono you've chosen (ex: if you chose an 8lb mono, pair it with a 10lb flouro leader)
Tackle: Light to medium tackle... egg sinkers in the 1/4oz to 1oz flavor depending on wave action. If ocean is relatively calm = lighter weight, choppy = heavier weight.
Bait: This is a WIDE spectrum, but sand crabs, sidewinder crabs, ghost shrimp, anchovies, squid are all great live bait. You can also use artificial or lures if you please. Just try it and see what works.
Casting: This is up to you as well and determined by what fish you're targeting. Most people say just PAST where the waves are and reel it in slow and steady. But the book says go for places where murky turbulent water meet calm water (eddies). Rip currents and inlets are also desirable.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Take lots of photos and share with us any success or failures you encounter to help the next person in your shoes!

LbcLakers
07-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Bill Varney's book is great for beginners, easy to read and it has a lot of information.

skunked4life
07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Hello DynoDan.

First, I know that others will direct you to the following links and I know that some people are just looking for straight up answers, but please-please read these. They are what got me started and I always go back and read them for continual reference.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Surf-Fishing-for-Halibut-101

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

Now, here are some of my personal tips:
1. Start small. Use basic gear and target perch. People hate it when I tell them this but trust me, it builds confidence and it helps you understand what direction you want to go with surf fishing in the future. I started targetting perch. Some people only target perch. Some want to go after the beans, halibut, etc. Trust me, you will figure out what direction once you start catching.
2. Try, try and try some more. You will get skunked. You will catch dinks. You will catch big ones. Just keep at it and get experience. There are two ways of learning IMO: 1) becoming knowledgeable through research and 2) learning through application. On one hand, you can read everything there is to know and you get out there with the best gear money can buy and all the knowledge in the world -- then SKUNK! Or, you read a little, get familiar, and then try it. You will learn where the holes are by practicing more so than trying to figure out the mechanics. I prefer a combination of methods and learn best that way.
3. Experiment. There are times that I listen to the S.W.A.T. guys like they are preaching the Bible. There are times when I just go against the grain. There is no "one" best method. Before some of the pioneers in hardbait lure fishing in the surf, no one would have imagined using an LC let alone an LC in 110 size. Try whatever you think might work and you will be surprised.
4. Fish for fun. Expecting to be a record holder or trying to bring home that trophy fish for dinner may lead you to give up. Have fun and the rewards will come.

Specifically, I would recommend a 7 foot or longer rod and a spinning reel at first. I would also try and start out with Crack and grubs. If that gets too expensive, sand crabs are plentiful right now. Go out when you can but I prefer grey light and sometimes evening. Eventually, you will want to learn about tide swings, swells, timing of the sets, structure, etc...I said eventually. Perch are easy to find and they will guide your learning experience.

Now go get em!

Ken

City Dad
07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Ditto on "Surf Fishing 101 - The Basics"

also, please consider C&R sometimes. We've found out the hard way that inshore stocks are not infinite.

and don't look a guitar fish in the eye... it only enrages them.

DynoDan
07-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Ditto on "Surf Fishing 101 - The Basics"

also, please consider C&R sometimes. We've found out the hard way that inshore stocks are not infinite.

and don't look a guitar fish in the eye... it only enrages them.

will do City Dad!

DynoDan
07-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks i will read and reread all the above! thanks again.

Hello DynoDan.

First, I know that others will direct you to the following links and I know that some people are just looking for straight up answers, but please-please read these. They are what got me started and I always go back and read them for continual reference.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Surf-Fishing-for-Halibut-101

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

Now, here are some of my personal tips:
1. Start small. Use basic gear and target perch. People hate it when I tell them this but trust me, it builds confidence and it helps you understand what direction you want to go with surf fishing in the future. I started targetting perch. Some people only target perch. Some want to go after the beans, halibut, etc. Trust me, you will figure out what direction once you start catching.
2. Try, try and try some more. You will get skunked. You will catch dinks. You will catch big ones. Just keep at it and get experience. There are two ways of learning IMO: 1) becoming knowledgeable through research and 2) learning through application. On one hand, you can read everything there is to know and you get out there with the best gear money can buy and all the knowledge in the world -- then SKUNK! Or, you read a little, get familiar, and then try it. You will learn where the holes are by practicing more so than trying to figure out the mechanics. I prefer a combination of methods and learn best that way.
3. Experiment. There are times that I listen to the S.W.A.T. guys like they are preaching the Bible. There are times when I just go against the grain. There is no "one" best method. Before some of the pioneers in hardbait lure fishing in the surf, no one would have imagined using an LC let alone an LC in 110 size. Try whatever you think might work and you will be surprised.
4. Fish for fun. Expecting to be a record holder or trying to bring home that trophy fish for dinner may lead you to give up. Have fun and the rewards will come.

Specifically, I would recommend a 7 foot or longer rod and a spinning reel at first. I would also try and start out with Crack and grubs. If that gets too expensive, sand crabs are plentiful right now. Go out when you can but I prefer grey light and sometimes evening. Eventually, you will want to learn about tide swings, swells, timing of the sets, structure, etc...I said eventually. Perch are easy to find and they will guide your learning experience.

Now go get em!

Ken

DynoDan
07-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info.

I've never been surf fishing, but have been reading a TON of information about it. I actually read Bill Varney's Surf Fishing book in less than 24 hours. I'm going to give it a try on Friday this week... I can't wait. So, to answer your questions, this is what I've learned so far (and will be doing myself on Friday). This info will change depending on what type of fish you're going for... but I'll write down a "general fishing" guide.

Rod: Anything will work, but 7' and above seem to be the best choices. Medium to heavy action.
Reel: 2000 or 2500 series or above, should have minimum 200 yard capacity
Line: Mono backing; 6-12lb test; pink or red preferred. Use a flouro leader about 20% heavier than the mono you've chosen (ex: if you chose an 8lb mono, pair it with a 10lb flouro leader)
Tackle: Light to medium tackle... egg sinkers in the 1/4oz to 1oz flavor depending on wave action. If ocean is relatively calm = lighter weight, choppy = heavier weight.
Bait: This is a WIDE spectrum, but sand crabs, sidewinder crabs, ghost shrimp, anchovies, squid are all great live bait. You can also use artificial or lures if you please. Just try it and see what works.
Casting: This is up to you as well and determined by what fish you're targeting. Most people say just PAST where the waves are and reel it in slow and steady. But the book says go for places where murky turbulent water meet calm water (eddies). Rip currents and inlets are also desirable.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Take lots of photos and share with us any success or failures you encounter to help the next person in your shoes!