PDA

View Full Version : Steve and the bean stalk

sshaffr812
07-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Hello, my name is Steve and i am addicted to surf fishing. I love this forum and although this is my first report, i find myself drooling on my keyboard everyday because of everyones pancake counts. I am a active duty marine and naturally my main fishing spot is Delmar beach on base. Its a beautiful beach, but it leaves me wanting more. I have pulled shovel nose, stingray, beans, and yfc from here, but never on the same day. On a day to day basis you are only guaranteed to catch bsp. Which, if they were 16" pigs wouldnt matter. Instead they run around 7":Evil: I have tried dropshotting, LC's, Bighammer rigs... and nothing. So, when i go fishing, i go for corbina. Thus begins my story:

I got off work around 1 and headed to the only fishing spot i know. It was about 2 hours before low tide and i figured the beans would be cruisin. I get to the water and see a few to my right. So i try sight catching for about an hout but no luck. So i cast into deeper water hoping to get them on they returning tide. Bump.Bump.Bump.Bump and i set the hook. Its a fat one. Immediately i can see the bean thrashing around. I turn down my drag and let her run. We fight for about 3-4 min and i get the feeling shes tired. So i tighten up the drag to start bringing her in. As soon as i tighten the drag. The bean gets a second wind and takes off...nothing. My clinch knot must not have been improved enough. I have never lost a fish due to knot failure so this was devastating to my confidence. I fished for about 3 hours but ended up with a stripe on my back.

Delmar Beach
Pros:
surf, jetty and harbor fishing within walking distance
fish variety

Cons:
Too many people
little structure

fishfinder
07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the board, and Thanks for serving.

Which Way Out
07-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Great 1st report Steve.

Keep at it. Also keep an eye out for Robert aka Murrieta Angler. He prowls around down that way from time to time. Be nice to him and he might show you a few good spots to try out. I heard he likes Cookies :Cool:

Looking forward to seeing some photos and reading more fishing stories.
Stay Safe Always

WWO

keepemlo
07-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Welcome,welcome, the more times you shoot the more chances you have to hit the target!,,,nice report

bachiboy
07-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the addiction! Don't feel too bad about the knot failure. I don't know that it was so much the person tying it as the knot choice. You might want to use a Palomar or Uni. Certain knots work better than others depending on the line weight. I'm assuming you were using a lighter line (4-10lb.). Those two knots I mentioned should work a little better in the future, but everyone has their favorites. As far as the tightening of the drag. I'm somewhat of the local expert here on buttoning down drags and losing fish.:Rolls Eyes: Best advice...don't do it. Especially when there's a surge, even if the fish is tired, the retreat of the wave is enough to cause failures. If you really have to at the VERY end of a fight and you're dragging the fish onto the sand, palm the spool (thumb if you're using a baitcaster), but I'd really avoid buttoning down...that works for tuna fishing when they're doin their death circles but causes heartache in the surf. My 2¢.:My Two Cents::Wink: Hope it helps.

Congrats on your first post and looking forward to hearing more about your outings soon! And a BIG thanks for your service to all of us!!!:Applause:
Don

sshaffr812
07-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the advice Don. I use 8 lbs mono to fluoro on a spinning reel. I currently use a swivel between my mono and fluoro to make the switch between dropshot and Carolina rig faster. Should I lose the swivel and go line-to-line?

PTN
07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the report Steve and welcome to the forums. We all get the skunk at some point but that's what makes those great days even more appreciated.

-Peter

bachiboy
07-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the advice Don. I use 8 lbs mono to fluoro on a spinning reel. I currently use a swivel between my mono and fluoro to make the switch between dropshot and Carolina rig faster. Should I lose the swivel and go line-to-line?

I'm assuming, without seeing your setup, that you have an egg sinker above the swivel, attach the flouro below that for your c-rig, then, when you want to switch to a dropshot, you just cut off the flouro leader and tie the hook above the sinker to your mainline mono? If so, that should be fine, but you end up not using flouro when you dropshot...not that there's anything wrong with that. If you do want flouro for your dropshot then, yes you'll need to do a connection knot. Be careful to use a good connection. I like the uni to uni, but one thing to keep in mind is that you should retire it if you hang up hard or catch a big fish. Flouro does stretch, though not as much as mono. The problem is that is doesn't recoil. When that knot is stressed, the mono tightens like a python around the flouro, making the flouro diameter smaller the more it gets stressed...eventually POP! Just remember to retire your knots with flouro a little more frequently than you might with mono. Hope that helps!

Good luck out there!
Don

DockRat
07-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Yup, Biggest mistake is guys with the drag too tight. Right on Don.
I have seen this so many times when guys hook up, adrenaline kicks in, then it is a race to get that fish in. Doing the Tuna Pump. Lol. Rods too stiff ?
Get that fish in less than 60 seconds. Why ?

Drag burners is so much fun. A 3 - 5 minute fight has more lasting memories.
Leave your waders at home when targeting Beans. Stay out of the water, you'll scare the fish.
Welcome to FNN;
DR

Viejo
07-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Sometime, try fishing along the stretch of beach on board Pendleton (Basilone exit) at the camp grounds near the old EM beach club near San Onofre. There's a lot of beach between the Church surfing area and San Onofre State surfing beach.

bloox8
07-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the forum, Steve! Sorry to hear about your "lost one", but I am sure you'll forget about it in no time if you keep at it. Just give it a year and you'll probably lose track of your fish count :Big Grin:. As far as your A.O. goes, it's tough tracking these darn fish. Sometimes they're there and most of the time they're not. I've seen (personally and through other posts) quantity and quality on almost all the beaches along the coast. But its like a fellow S.W.A.T. member once told me, "its all about being at the right place, at the right time". One of my favorite A.Os last year easily became my worst A.Os this year :Crying:.

Anywho! Thanks for the report. I'll be looking forward to your future reports.

Thien

Bobber Boy
07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Semper Fi Marine! Welcome to the board!

SP Dan
07-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi ya sshaffr812,

It's my honor to welcome you Steve to our FNN Family site!

I enjoyed reading your first report ...... very well written Sir! Keep those reports coming! :Thumbs Up:

You've already received some excellent advice by a few good men... you just need to relax a little bit and enjoy the hook up! Squeeze it off don't pull!
Like DR said .... a "3 - 5 minute fight has more lasting memories" ...... and a lot more fun!

Thanx Steve for the fish report but most importantly my fellow Marine .... thank you for your duty Sir!
God Bless you and all our brothers and sisters who are not forgotten! ...... Semper Fidelis!

I look forward to shaking your hand at HG-5 Sir! :Cool:

MOS 0300, 0331, 8541, 8651 Viet Nam

SP Dan <"))><

sshaffr812
07-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Thanks everyone, for the advice and the warm welcome.