PDA

View Full Version : Late Sierra Post from early May and early July

FSHNLIC
07-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I wasn't going to post as I did not take many pic's these trips but I will share what I have. Went up for my "opener" the first weekend in May with POM and my friend John (his 1st opener). Overall fishing was fair, nothing really big with the exception of John's 3 plus lb brown on the EW. POM and myself have been spending more time on the fly rod so we're definitely going through a learning curve to say the least. I did hook into a nice bow on the fly at PVR that was a blast. Lost him before we could net.. a good 3lbr at least.

My eldest son and I made a quick 2 day trip around the 4th of July. Boy was it hot!! Absolutely no snow on the mountains and water conditions much warmer than ideal. We really need a good winter!! I've attached a pic of Lake Sabrina as it was extremely LOW! Fishing was overall good with a mix of bow's, brown's, and brook's. Fished several spots from Lone Pine to June.. largest brown went 16 and largest bow was 14-15, nothing exceptionally large... with one exception.. I hooked into a fish that absolutely took off like a freight train peeling 30-40 yards of line downstream.. thought it was a carp for sure.. after about 10 minutes I was finally making some head way in getting this fish up through the current and got a good look... HUGE BASS!!! I've caught several bass in the Sierra's in the 3-4lb range but this one was Mammoth.. after a 15 minute battle I landed the beast... I estimated it about 7lbs, my son said it was 8-10lbs... either way, a true trophy for up there... The pic doesn't do it justice as I just had my camera phone but this thing was huge! My son also lost a 4-5lb bow in this area that broke him off. Tight Lines and Full Tails all!!

The Fishing Queen
07-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Good looking fish and congrats to everyone. Very nice bass indeed and it must have felt great on the fly.

billy b
07-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Not looking to expose your spots ... but can you share anything about what body of water the bass was in ... the Owens?

FSHNLIC
07-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Good looking fish and congrats to everyone. Very nice bass indeed and it must have felt great on the fly.

Thanks Fishing Queen... wish I could say it was on the fly but I can't ... broke down and was fishing a worm.. haha

Billy B - Can't give specifics but it's part of the Owens

billy b
07-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks Fishing Queen... wish I could say it was on the fly but I can't ... broke down and was fishing a worm.. haha

Billy B - Can't give specifics but it's part of the Owens
<That's totally cool - thanks for the 411> ... I just couldn't' believe there's bass in the Owens ... and in a great trout fishing spot also
Never heard of it in all my fishing years. Those are sweet lookin browns and the brook ... and a HUGE bass

Hate to hear there might be carp in there ...thinking they spoil the fishing at BBLake some

trout masterson
07-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Great trip! Always love reading your reports. That bass was a monster!! Great job.

Bobber Boy
07-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Great report and pics! Thx for sharing!