PDA

View Full Version : summer time dvl

Matt_Magnone
07-18-2013, 10:11 PM
this time of year, every year, we start seeing a lot of people come into the tackle shop struggling with catching fish on diamond. the easiest answer for most is "the lake is on a downward spiral" "the lake sucks" or many cover the fact that its tough by saying "i could go out and throw a senko and get bit, but who wants to do that".

ive been working pretty heavy at the shop this past month not having the ability to get out fishin but have had the opportunity to fish 2 of the night events this year. i will totally admit that its tough right now. the last event i only got 10 bites and smacked myself in the face with a swimbait. it is what it is.

dont let this time of year discourage your decision on hitting the lake though. the fish are still there, they still have to eat and this winter you'll still see pictures of double digit fish from random guys. if these fish are still in the lake ; where did they go?

the way the lake acts in the summer is textbook year after year. once the night tournaments start you'll start seeing daytime fish between 15 and 40'. fish will be up high in the water column in the low light then once the sun starts baking the water you'll see fish relating to the shade of tree lines and working their way out off the bank to main lake points, humps, and otherwise edge spots. wind picks up; bite picks up and fish will move up again. this time of year i'm real active in my efforts. there are plenty of fish that stay high and tight to the bank. all you gotta do is follow the predator and prey scenario.

what are you fishing for?
what are those fish eating?
where is the most optimal part of the water column to find both species?

go cath em!

all species favor the most oxygen rich part of the water column. bait will move first then the bass will follow suit. this level changes everywhere but this time of year i always notice the 30' zone being the most productive. i'll start on wind blown banks and then expand from there.

if i were to reccomend a few baits for you guys to play with right now it would be:

swimbait:
this time of year you'll start seeing the fingerling bass growing. you'll start seeing them reach the 5 to 7" size. you'll also see the bluegill swarming whatever piece of shallow cover available. with all the life up on the bank, you'll most definitely see big momma lurking near. there's no reason for bait to be high in the water column and no predator fish around them. what i would do is pick your moment. dont go down the bank blind casting or limit yourself to the first hour of the morning for the big bait. if you got a shade line coinciding with a brush line; throw it. if you have a grass edge that seperates shallow water to deep water; throw it. if the winds howling; throw it. know when to throw and when to put it down. i was given the other day off when megan and dan came back from their trip and took advantage to dust the cobwebs off the boat. hit up skinner and found the fish were eating baby bass and i was able to find a good batch of quality fish. fish would only eat on the shady side of every grass patch i could throw on. once locating the fish i matched the hatch by throwing a bait in the same shape and size of the baby bass. bingo. game over. while still hard to figure out, when you break it down its very simple.

what are you fishing for?
what are those fish eating?
where is the most optimal part of the water column to find both species?

big worm:
the big worm always shines in the summertime for me. i always go with the lightest weight i can possibly get away with. let that bait get down to the right depth and shake away. shake it like you mean it. ha! i tend to focus my efforts on main lake points and deeper structure. when those fish move off the bank they're relating to something. they're relating to cover on top of structure. find the structure, locate that key piece of cover holding the fish and bingo you've got it. keep your color choices simple. dont be throwing 50 different colors or 50 different shades. pick your 3 basic tried and true colors. a starting point for me this year is a 9" upton or bass chow worm in anything purple.. throw it on the lightest weight you can get away with, the smallest hook you can get away with and the lightest line you can get away with. think a lethargic big fish wary as all hell that has been around long enough to know motor noise and know fishing pressure. the big worm shaking helpless down deep isnt abrasive to the fish but still offers a big high calorie meal without that fish needing to expend a lot of energy.

drop shot
well, as lame as it is, everyone needs this rod this time of year. when fishing gets tough, pick this baby up. it will ALWAYS save your butt.

hope this helps out a little.

-matt

riverside_angler
07-18-2013, 10:20 PM
glad to see you back on here. Thanks for the report...much appreciated.

skatino
07-19-2013, 09:01 AM
drop shot
well, as lame as it is, everyone needs this rod this time of year. when fishing gets tough, pick this baby up. it will ALWAYS save your butt.

+1, my least favorite technique....but when fish need to land in the boat, my #1.

I have been missing DVL, but I will be out there Sunday. Matt, how is the water levels out there? Are they still dropping. I will be in the shop some time Saturday mid-day, hopefully we can catch up.

Steven

ezfishn
07-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Hey Matt try the natural shad color senko....LOL Great tips in your writeup but wondering how many of those 5-7" fingerlins are left after the stripers munch them

HawgZWylde
07-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Hey Matt try the natural shad color senko....LOL Great tips in your writeup but wondering how many of those 5-7" fingerlins are left after the stripers munch them

Was there Tuesday, there are boatloads of em. But you're right, they are getting chowed by Stripey...

Brent
07-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Why is it that drop shotting and senkos are lame? Isn't the idea to catch bass? It's a technique, just like swimbaits, c-rig, t-rig,etc, etc etc.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If pink Thomas Bouyants are working then that's what I'm throwing. I'm there to catch fish, not tell everyone how bad ***** I am because I caught 1 on a c-rig when I could have caught 15 on a dropshot. Now if you're going for big fish and have the muscle and fortitude to huck swimbaits all day. Props to you. I'm too old and worn out for that.
Go with what works people and quit worrying about what's "cool" or not.

Brent

EL JEFE
07-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Nice to hear from you Matt! Thanks for the tips.

Matt_Magnone
07-20-2013, 12:10 AM
i appreciate it guys. anytime. i just cant wait to get back out to go rip around. with the light fishing pressure and all those cannibalistic bass; things should be GOOOOOD!!!! high and tight on the wind blown banks baby!!!

water level looks good still. its low but getting to the right spots. fished some points on the north shore on one of the night events that was setting up at a water level that would be good for the afternoon west winds. we'll start seeing some GREAT mudlines soon!!!!!

Why is it that drop shotting and senkos are lame? Isn't the idea to catch bass? It's a technique, just like swimbaits, c-rig, t-rig,etc, etc etc.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If pink Thomas Bouyants are working then that's what I'm throwing. I'm there to catch fish, not tell everyone how bad ***** I am because I caught 1 on a c-rig when I could have caught 15 on a dropshot. Now if you're going for big fish and have the muscle and fortitude to huck swimbaits all day. Props to you. I'm too old and worn out for that.
Go with what works people and quit worrying about what's "cool" or not.

Brent

haha man...

maybe i should have said "my personal opinion" i cant stand the drop shot. its a technique i will resort to if things get brutal and im in a position where i need to put fish in the boat, but isn't something i personally reach for on a daily basis. if im in a tournament, rarely if ever, i'll most definitely keep this rod handy. its a great technique to throw when you need to cull through a series of fish to get good ones. being that i have the ability to fish often ive retrained the way i fish to match what my logs have shown me to be high percentage big fish baits. the drop shot to me hasn't produced near the amount of quality fish than that of a swimbait, jig or big worm has. the big worm on the drop shot does work extremely well but in my logs, i dont show the amount of big fish than that of a texas rig. the swimbait in my logs take center stage and thats why i preach it so much. on the other hand the senko is something that flat out gets em. there are a few key months throughout the year where it really shines for quality fish and you better not be caught dead without it. ive caught one in the 10-12# range on it but have caught a lot more 1-6's with a higher percentage of 1-3's. its great but to me personally, it doesnt fit into my way of fishing. this is purely my choice though. im really content going out for one bite if i know im putting myself in a position to land a very large fish. i still go out for numbers to keep myself on the bite but really try to stay with the big ones.

each person goes out to battle for the day with their own agendas. mine just happens to be a little different.

bazzfisher47
07-22-2013, 11:18 AM
As always, Matt, your post are GREAT to read! But, I need some help in locating the Bluegill at the Jewel! I have a five year old son that just NEEDS to catch some fish! Will you please help with promising locations?
Rich

HawgZWylde
07-22-2013, 11:22 AM
As always, Matt, your post are GREAT to read! But, I need some help in locating the Bluegill at the Jewel! I have a five year old son that just NEEDS to catch some fish! Will you please help with promising locations?
Rich

I saw them all over the West dam last week. Saw a bunch around one of the humps at the west end as well...

bazzfisher47
07-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Thank you much, "HawgZ"! I'm sure that Evan will appreciate your help immensely! We'll be lookin' for the little slabs real soon!
Rich

sumodnb
07-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Good lookin out on the tips mah man! Great to see a non A hole on this board lol!

jeepnkal
07-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Fisherman 1: Catch anything today?
Fisherman 2: Just got a couple.
Fisherman 1: Whatcha using?
Fisherman 2: Dropshot. You get anything today?
Fisherman 1: No, but im going for size.

jeepnkal
07-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Tourney Fisherman 1: You getting any today?
Tourney Fisherman 2: Just got a couple keepers. You?
Tourney Fisherman 1: No, nothing yet. What are you using?
Tourney Fisherman 2: Dropshot
Tourney Fisherman 1: Dropshot?!
Tourney Fisherman 2: Yeah, but I only use it when there is money involved.

jeepnkal
07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
DVL guide with two clients passes another boat with three fisherman. The two clients witness the passing boat pull a couple of fish

Client 1: Did you see that? They got a couple! Looks fun!
Client 2: Yeah, looks like they are on 'em!
Guide: Yeah, bet they are throwing the dropshot. We only wanna throw that as a last resort.

HawgZWylde
07-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Bwahaha, that fairy wand has saved my arse from a skunking more times than I care to admit...

justice11
07-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Rich

Ladders dude. Drop a crawler or cricket at the ladders.