PDA

View Full Version : Rod and Reel for redondo sportfishing boat?

socal310
07-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Im new to boat fishing, pretty new to fishing but really enjoy it and want to learn more. I want to go on a 1/2 day boat but not sure what to bring? I would like to buy a rod/reel that would work for boat and general saltwater fishing.

So what size rod and what kind of reel and line and bait should i use?

Sorry for the noob question, just trying to learn and dont know anyone really to ask. Thanks in advance

DockRat
07-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Need to know your budget.

One guy will tell you about a $400 rig.
I would say get a Penn Jigmaster and a $40 rod for starters.
The boat will have bait.
DR

socal310
07-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Need to know your budget.

One guy will tell you about a $400 rig.
I would say get a Penn Jigmaster and a $40 rod for starters.
The boat will have bait.
DR

Thanks for the reply man, how much will that reel run? And for a 40$ rod, should 7-7.5 feet be good? Any particular make? price range is like 150-200 for the whole thing

Would the same setup work for a little skiff around redondo too? Im gonna be goin out with a friend this week he has a little skiff.

Frequent Flyer
07-18-2013, 09:08 PM
7 footer is good for half day, 8 foot will get you better castability and your bait farther away from the rest. On half days you're going to be after bass/barracuda/bottom fish most of the time so just get a rod rated either from 10-25, or 20-40.

Load your reel up with 20 lb mono, and youre good to go. get some 2/0 flyliner hooks, some 1/4 - 1 oz sliding sinkers and enjoy.

socal310
07-18-2013, 09:34 PM
7 footer is good for half day, 8 foot will get you better castability and your bait farther away from the rest. On half days you're going to be after bass/barracuda/bottom fish most of the time so just get a rod rated either from 10-25, or 20-40.

Load your reel up with 20 lb mono, and youre good to go. get some 2/0 flyliner hooks, some 1/4 - 1 oz sliding sinkers and enjoy.

Thanks for the info Frequent flyer, appreciate it alot

Frequent Flyer
07-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info Frequent flyer, appreciate it alot

no worries dude, pm me if you have any other questions

DockRat
07-19-2013, 06:33 AM
I really like my Shimano Torium 14. Bought 2 of them. One here on FNN for $80 and another for $100.

Nothing wrong with good used gear. Place a wanted ad on FNN and you can get a $100 set up.

socal310
07-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Will do flyer thanks man.

DockRat, i checked the WTS didnt see much, in my range, but ill post a want to buy thread for a Shimano Torium 14, Also might as well ask for a decent rod too :)

Thanks for the help!

hattrick7
07-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Im new to boat fishing, pretty new to fishing but really enjoy it and want to learn more. I want to go on a 1/2 day boat but not sure what to bring? I would like to buy a rod/reel that would work for boat and general saltwater fishing.

So what size rod and what kind of reel and line and bait should i use?

Sorry for the noob question, just trying to learn and dont know anyone really to ask. Thanks in advance

Just rent one. It's like an extra $15 bucks and they give some tackle with it. If you like it enough to get something for yourself I'd plan on spending a minimum of $200 for a rod and reel set up. It all depends on what type of fish species you want to target.

socal310
07-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Just rent one. It's like an extra $15 bucks and they give some tackle with it. If you like it enough to get something for yourself I'd plan on spending a minimum of $200 for a rod and reel set up. It all depends on what type of fish species you want to target.

Thanks for the tip. Not a bad idea, I'll give it a try while I look for a good used rod and reel. But so far recently I have been fishing every chance I get. And I would like to get better. As for what fish, maybe calicos and halibut? Or a tasty fish thats ok to take home and eat without messing with their population.

hattrick7
07-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the tip. Not a bad idea, I'll give it a try while I look for a good used rod and reel. But so far recently I have been fishing every chance I get. And I would like to get better. As for what fish, maybe calicos and halibut? Or a tasty fish thats ok to take home and eat without messing with their population.

Calicos are so much fun to catch. I'm not much of a bottom fisher so I'm not too sure about halibut but for calicos you don't need a very heavy set up.

I would go with a good quality baitcasting reel over a spinning one. Spinning is easier to cast but I feel you have way more control with a baitcaster. Get a low profile one. Don't need too heavy a line. I use 12# mono and I'm fine. I basically use my 7' rod for freshwater for calicos and the thing works great. I would anticipate spending decent money. If you buy the cheap stuff you'll end up spending more since you'll most definitely want to upgrade once you start learning and getting better.

Halibuts are bottom fish so you're going to need a rod that can handle the heavy sinkers. I'd probably go with a more heavy duty baitcast reel because you never know what to expect down there and there's some halibuts that can be pretty big. Two different ways of fishing so you're going to want to get something for both eventually.

DockRat
07-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Nothing wrong with a spinning reel. East Coast style.

Went fishing yesterday, you should have seen the quiver in my rod rack. Lol Here is a list of the reels.
Penn Gold International with 120 lb
Pro Gear YT Special 60 lb braid, 60 lb top shot
Penn Squidder narrow 30 lb
Shimano 14 Torium 20 lb
Shimano Symetre Spinner 15 braid.

bman90278
08-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Nothing wrong with a spinning reel. East Coast style.

I agree! When I went out of Newport recently, I was able to get on a good Calico bight because I was able to cast my live Chovies farther out than a baitcaster. All of the guys next to me werent getting bit and I assume I was getting out to a better spot. Of course that's not always the case, but it has helped me a few times recently being able to get that extra distance on the cast.

-brian

Ultralight
08-06-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm not experienced but did just come back from a 1/2 day. If your half day is going for rock fishing (off the bottom), I highly recommend braid if. If you already have a spinning reel or bait casting with 150 yards of any braid over 15 lbs or over, it should work. The rental monofilament stretches so much at 200 feet that it is very very hard to feel any bit. You can also use 2/0 or 3/0 circle hooks which then mena you don't have to set the hook.

Also, get 8 oz ounce weight. I was given a 4 oz with the rental (San Diego) and when drifting for rockfish, my line almost never touched bottom. The current was strong and the drift was pretty quick. With 200 feet of mono, that's a lot of force against that 4 oz weight so 8 oz is better. Realized that only at the end of my trip so that was a bit of frustration there.

UL