PDA

View Full Version : Fly Rod HERESY question...

sandtrout
07-17-2013, 06:49 PM
i was watching these guys on youtube fishing short fly rods (they looked 7'+) and as he cast out he said, "Caught another on one yellow Powerbait." As he reeled it in it looked like Powerbait on a single hook with a split shot maybe 6" - 8" up above the hook. He did say he was using a leader of 6lb test. It never occurred to me to use a fly rod for spinning rod applications. Has anyone else done that? I'm NOT a purist...I'm just interested in trying it sometime. There's been times when I would have loved a fly rod for "placement" purposes.

To those who have had success with it...did you use a tapered leader? If so, was it weight forward? How did you rig everything up?

Also, I think Cabela's used to sell a 6' 6" fly rod but I don't see it anymore...has anyone ever used one of these rods? I was interested in that size for really small streams surrounded by brush...not for casting but I like the way the fly rod feels when playing fish. thanks in advance for anyone who replies.

Viejo
07-17-2013, 08:01 PM
i was watching these guys on youtube fishing short fly rods (they looked 7'+) and as he cast out he said, "Caught another on one yellow Powerbait." As he reeled it in it looked like Powerbait on a single hook with a split shot maybe 6" - 8" up above the hook. He did say he was using a leader of 6lb test. It never occurred to me to use a fly rod for spinning rod applications. Has anyone else done that? I'm NOT a purist...I'm just interested in trying it sometime. There's been times when I would have loved a fly rod for "placement" purposes.

To those who have had success with it...did you use a tapered leader? If so, was it weight forward? How did you rig everything up?

Also, I think Cabela's used to sell a 6' 6" fly rod but I don't see it anymore...has anyone ever used one of these rods? I was interested in that size for really small streams surrounded by brush...not for casting but I like the way the fly rod feels when playing fish. thanks in advance for anyone who replies.

A fly rod and powerbait? Why not just use one of those Barbie poles. :LOL:

Why not just get a starter fly rod and reel and learn to fly fish. You'll never go back to Powerbait again.

Tubbytuba
07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Why not just get a starter fly rod and reel and learn to fly fish. You'll never go back to Powerbait again.

i did exactly that about 7 years ago. how many 70 fish days have you had on powerbait? in response to the fly rod heresy title, it certainly is a heretical crime against nature and the fly fishing gods to tie PB onto the end of a beautifully hand tied leader (the store bought stuff just isnt adaptable enough for me). and yes i own two short sticks, one is a TFO 2wt, 8ft. its fast action with a stiff back bone, it casts and behaves just like a good quality 3wt to be honest. i also own an echo 2wt, 7ft, and its a noodle. i have had many outings to spring creeks where i have caught 50 fish in 4 or 5 hours. i have used short rods in various other sizes as well, and i must say they are not ideal for a lake setting or for throwing something heavy like that disgusting powerbait stuff, in fact the best fly rod for lake fishing i own is a 50 dollar martin 5wt combo i picked up to chase carp with. go with that.

the worst i will go in my fly selection, meaning i have never slung bait, is my hair ball fly, which i sometimes begrudging use to catch recently stocked trout when they are to stupid to eat real fish food. ie bugs, crustaceans and other fish.

Good Hunting

Lady Quagga
07-18-2013, 08:37 AM
PM CityDad. He's the foremost expert on fishing powerbait on fly rods, but he's very humble and doesn't advertise it.

seal
07-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Power worms (or name your favorite plastic manufacture) on a full sink line from a float tube, kills um.