PDA

View Full Version : The hunt for HVT's...a few P.B's and a new appreciation. *Late Report*

Re8elmonk0341
07-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Time: 0730-1345
Date: Thursday, July 11th
Weapon: Phenix M1 - Shimano Curado G6 - 50# Izor Spectra/12# Invis-X
Ammo: LCFM110 Zebra MS Aurora Black scented w/ Smelly Gelly Sardine Glitter

TARGET: HVT-1 - 30"+ Halibut

Wife and I had a sit down and we agreed (she talked....I listened...Lol) that Tuesdays and Thursdays are surf fishing days :Fishing Catch: for me while Mondays and Wednesdays are her days and I play daddy while she does yuppy stuff :whistle:

Wanted to hit up this spot because I haven't fished it in years since I moved south and it has produced many quality Hali's in the past. I Got to the beach a little later because of So. Cal traffic :Finger:. Got to the beach at 0730 and was ready to hunt, lines in by 0745. Warm and clean water, light 1-2 mph breeze, 1-2' swells, fishing the up-coming, and LOTS of sand crabs. There were 2 guys fishing the small jetty. 1 guy had his line straight out west the other knuckle-head had his 2 lines and fishing south. I was fishing north of the jetty. I'd normally "hug" the jetty, fishing tight to the rocks and move, walk whichever direction I'm fishing. Well, after like 3-4 cast alongside the jetty. Remember knuckle-head, he decided to relocate one of his pole and recast 25'-30' straight north and in my sectors of fire. I had to move about 50 meters just to keep our lines from crossing or snagging......:Smack:

Oh well :BFish:....I recasted....slow retrieved and felt a small bump and stop reeling for a sec....two turns of the 6.1:1...hmmmmm :Confused: maybe it was just a small string of kelp. Got it to the sand.....ahhhh a fish :Embarrassed: :???: Oh well, that's a skunk buster.....and queen fish. Quickly un hooked and back into the water he goes so I could continue the hunt. 5-8 cast later I had a solid hit and it began to run, swimming north, even peeling a little line. Hmmmm it's not a Hali because no head shakes but maybe a huge Spot fin but please no rays or sharks please. When I got it shallow enough to see the top fins....definitely not a Hali and happy it's not a ray/shark. Bean...? Spotty...? :Shocked: :EyePop: :EyePop: :Surprised:

This guy shows up......
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/re8elmonk/49b19382398d7b7e23da860b1c4e39c4.jpg
14"-14.5" yellowfin croaker fat and thick from all the sand crabs and a new PB :Big Smile: :Dancing Banana:

Now.....I've caught many yellowfin croakers in the past and have always considered them a "sissy fish". Now let me explain why....before y'all jump down my throat about it haha. They don't put up a fight like their cousins the spot fins. It seems to me after you hook a yellowfin it just gives up haha :ROLF:

Unhooked the fish and off he went back in.

By this time it's about 1000-1015 and the sun is starting to poke thru and waves starting to flatten some. I moved up the beach casting/reeling and I'm side stepping and BAM!!!! This fish was felt bigger then the last. He peeling some line and running. This time I felt a some head shacks.....:?: Maybe a short WAB:?:this time, I had a few guys on bikes stopped to see what I caught. The whole tug-o-war probably lasted 3 mins and when I finally got him in...........:Bug Eyes: another yellowfin croaker. This one bigger, fatter, and pulled harder then the last :Bug Eyes:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/re8elmonk/516c7aea2f56205d23d4041b9a400bc2.jpg
17-18" yellowfin croaker and a NEW NEW PB

He was a grumpy little guy. Didn't want to lay still for his photo shoot splashing sand all over me?

Now, almost moon....and not even a short Hali?

After unhooking Fred and sending him back home, 2 cast later and another big hit. This fish was further out. He bit at the splash. Another good little fight from this guy.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/re8elmonk/3b7633e4fd773ee46f9057897d051fee.jpg

14.5" yellow croaker .

There must be a pocket of yellowfin because after I released Fred in. Next cast and another hook-up. I didn't take a pic of him because I had just put everyone back in backpack. But he was in the 13-14".

I packed it up after 1300 when the sun, wind, a wave started getting bigger.

Walked from north jetty to small casting and reeling for nothing else.

Oh well, I'll get my HVT fish another Time. Can't ask for more.....got to fish, caught fish, and best some personal best fish

Total : fish count
4 yellowfins
1 queen fish

bachiboy
07-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Nice going out there Monk. Musta been some bait going there for them to ball up like that. They seem to follow bait balls around in groups. Plus look how fat they are...been eating good out there.:Wink: Nice job on the PBs. I know they're not spotfins, but it's always nice to be pulling on sumfin, eh?:Big Grin:

Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Don

Re8elmonk0341
07-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Nice going out there Monk. Musta been some bait going there for them to ball up like that. They seem to follow bait balls around in groups. Plus look how fat they are...been eating good out there.:Wink: Nice job on the PBs. I know they're not spotfins, but it's always nice to be pulling on sumfin, eh?:Big Grin:

Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Don

You got that right! I'd rather pull on fish then a 9 to 5 any day of the week lol