PDA

View Full Version : Brookies Found!

Troutin Man
07-15-2013, 11:04 PM
I went up to the Sierras this past weekend for some camping and fishing with the family. We caught 6 brook trout in the river. 2 brookies were caught on powerbait rainbow with garlic on a 2 foot leader and the other with orange pulp glitter with garlic (GULP). The other 4 were caught with some type of jig. Surprisingly the fish were not interested at all in my flies. We hiked along the river and found pools of water where fish were hiding deep or under boulders.

What was different this year was they planted with brookies instead of rainbows. The rainbows that are being planted in SoCal mountains and city parks during the winter months were so ridiculously small while the Sierras and NorCal are getting nice sized brookies and rainbows. What's up with that DFW? Don't we in SoCal pay the same licensing fees?

Anyways, I had a great time up in the sierras and the brook trout gave a pretty good fight! I tried to post pictures, but the pic files are too big to upload. Sorry all.

Viejo
07-15-2013, 11:43 PM
I went up to the Sierras this past weekend for some camping and fishing with the family. We caught 6 brook trout in the river. 2 brookies were caught on powerbait rainbow with garlic on a 2 foot leader and the other with orange pulp glitter with garlic (GULP). The other 4 were caught with some type of jig. Surprisingly the fish were not interested at all in my flies. We hiked along the river and found pools of water where fish were hiding deep or under boulders.

What was different this year was they planted with brookies instead of rainbows. The rainbows that are being planted in SoCal mountains and city parks during the winter months were so ridiculously small while the Sierras and NorCal are getting nice sized brookies and rainbows. What's up with that DFW? Don't we in SoCal pay the same licensing fees?

Anyways, I had a great time up in the sierras and the brook trout gave a pretty good fight! I tried to post pictures, but the pic files are too big to upload. Sorry all.

DFW plants only triploid Rainbows in the Sierras. The Brookies were wild fish.

Viejo
07-16-2013, 07:58 AM
DFW plants only triploid Rainbows in the Sierras. The Brookies were wild fish.

I stand corrected....DFW does plant Diploid Browns and Cuttthroats in certain waters in the Eastern Sierra.

From an article by Jim Matthews earlier this year, "Erdman said Crowley will continue to receive about a half-million or more trout per year, and while the bulk of the rainbows planted may be triploid (sterile), the browns and cutthroats planted in the system will remain fertile or diploid fish. The lake is also likely to get periodic plants of fertile rainbows, too. Mixed with the fish that have been naturally produced in the lake’s tributary streams that are fertile (which make up as much as 25 percent of the trout population in the lake), Erdman was hopeful the Crowley Lake system would remain one of the best trout fishing complexes in the state."

Fish Bait
07-16-2013, 08:20 AM
I was up in the sierras as well and caught 2 brooks over at twin lakes using some plastic worms, i heard alot of people talkng how they havent seen brookies in a while i felt pretty good catching a pair which were a fair size very beautiful looking fish

FSHNLIC
07-16-2013, 09:01 PM
I stand corrected....DFW does plant Diploid Browns and Cuttthroats in certain waters in the Eastern Sierra.

From an article by Jim Matthews earlier this year, "Erdman said Crowley will continue to receive about a half-million or more trout per year, and while the bulk of the rainbows planted may be triploid (sterile), the browns and cutthroats planted in the system will remain fertile or diploid fish. The lake is also likely to get periodic plants of fertile rainbows, too. Mixed with the fish that have been naturally produced in the lake’s tributary streams that are fertile (which make up as much as 25 percent of the trout population in the lake), Erdman was hopeful the Crowley Lake system would remain one of the best trout fishing complexes in the state."

I am glad to hear this!! Now pray for snow!!

Troutin Man
07-16-2013, 11:35 PM
I am glad to hear this!! Now pray for snow!!

Wow! I guess I was pretty lucky that I caught all those Brooks. The lady at the Dinkey Creek Inn store told me that DFW has been planting brooks. If they were wild, that is pretty amazing. They were a very nice size and excellent fighters. Some had hookjaws and some had some "teeth". One bit me and punctured my thumb and I dropped it in the river. Mishandled but still got my fair share.

Dinkey Creek was awesome. The water level was super low. Never seen it that low. The Sierras looked very brittle and dry. I agree FSHNLIC that snow/rain is needed in a major way!

Have you seen pics on Lake Sabrina's marina website? The pictures of how low the water level is definitely concerning.

FSHNLIC
07-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Wow! I guess I was pretty lucky that I caught all those Brooks. The lady at the Dinkey Creek Inn store told me that DFW has been planting brooks. If they were wild, that is pretty amazing. They were a very nice size and excellent fighters. Some had hookjaws and some had some "teeth". One bit me and punctured my thumb and I dropped it in the river. Mishandled but still got my fair share.

Dinkey Creek was awesome. The water level was super low. Never seen it that low. The Sierras looked very brittle and dry. I agree FSHNLIC that snow/rain is needed in a major way!

Have you seen pics on Lake Sabrina's marina website? The pictures of how low the water level is definitely concerning.

I was actually up by Sabrina a couple weeks ago... unbelievable how low!!!! I do believe the DFW does stock brookies up where you were fishing

billy b
07-17-2013, 06:14 PM
I was up in the sierras as well and caught 2 brooks over at twin lakes using some plastic worms, i heard alot of people talkng how they havent seen brookies in a while i felt pretty good catching a pair which were a fair size very beautiful looking fish

Which Twin Lakes? Thanks for the report!

droozy
07-17-2013, 06:18 PM
I was actually up by Sabrina a couple weeks ago... unbelievable how low!!!! I do believe the DFW does stock brookies up where you were fishing

I was up there too, it sucks. Apparently the lake hasn't been stocked at all this year. I rented a boat for an hour and went out to the inlet and saw a catch what was apparently a cutthroat.

I did catch 4 species of fish at Twin in Mammoth one day which was kinda cool. Got a brown, brook, rainbow, and some weird sucker fish that kinda looked like a carp (is anyone familiar with those things?)

Troutin Man
07-17-2013, 06:30 PM

That kinda sucks to hear that u went up there and its low. The pictures in magazines of Sabrina are amazing...picturesque! Now it looks like planet something. Anyway, if u habent done sierras, gotta go people. Not too many anglers...unlike GVL, LG, BBL, Jenks.

Fish Bait
07-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Which Twin Lakes? Thanks for the report!

Well im not to familar with the area since it was my first time there but it was the twin lakes in mammoth right under the waterfall that comes from lake george i believe hope that helps

Troutin Man
07-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Well im not to familar with the area since it was my first time there but it was the twin lakes in mammoth right under the waterfall that comes from lake george i believe hope that helps

Sounds great! The Eastern Sierra is so great! Dinkey Creek is awesome too! Where will I fish on my next Sierra trip? No idea. It's all good though! Can't go wrong right?

The Fishing Queen
07-19-2013, 11:24 AM
That kinda sucks to hear that u went up there and its low. The pictures in magazines of Sabrina are amazing...picturesque! Now it looks like planet something. Anyway, if u habent done sierras, gotta go people. Not too many anglers...unlike GVL, LG, BBL, Jenks.

Sounds like a great trip with your family. It must be beautiful up there. I've never been to the Sierras, it's on my 'to do list'. Kid's activities and academic studies have been keeping us very busy and we can't wait for another family get away.... It's too bad that the trout weren't interested in flies. That happened to me twice in the past when I fished at a stocked creek. I tried a few flies and only caught a couple trout in an hour, then two guys fishing next to me were both limited out with salmon eggs and a mini jig.

DEVOREFLYER
07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Fishing Queen I always have a few salmon eggs in my fly box. I make them using a glue gun with colored glue. You might also see a few beatles/bugs made with foam and a group of various sized grubs made from a latex glove. Think outside the box it is really simple to make and they work.

Oh and a few San Juan worms just in case. lol

Troutin Man
07-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Sounds like a great trip with your family. It must be beautiful up there. I've never been to the Sierras, it's on my 'to do list'. Kid's activities and academic studies have been keeping us very busy and we can't wait for another family get away.... It's too bad that the trout weren't interested in flies. That happened to me twice in the past when I fished at a stocked creek. I tried a few flies and only caught a couple trout in an hour, then two guys fishing next to me were both limited out with salmon eggs and a mini jig.

It is beautiful up there. What you wrote is right on. Mini jigs was the menu item of choice and powerbait. They were not hittin' salmon eggs. They did like the Orange Gulp with glitter. PM me if you want more info on Sierra campgrounds that are awesome!

seal
07-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Brookies would have gone nuts over A Panther Martin all gold or similar spinners.

There is always a fly they will like but you gotta figure it out. But it's always more rewarding than dunking power bait, especially if you are planning on C&R.

The Fishing Queen
07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
It is beautiful up there. What you wrote is right on. Mini jigs was the menu item of choice and powerbait. They were not hittin' salmon eggs. They did like the Orange Gulp with glitter. PM me if you want more info on Sierra campgrounds that are awesome!

Cool, thanks!

Fishing Queen I always have a few salmon eggs in my fly box. I make them using a glue gun with colored glue. You might also see a few beatles/bugs made with foam and a group of various sized grubs made from a latex glove. Think outside the box it is really simple to make and they work.

Oh and a few San Juan worms just in case. lol

Nice way to cheat, lol... Thanks for sharing the idea! You have nice collection of flies there. One of my friends loves to fish with worms (red worm, wax-worm, or mealworm) on the fly hook when the flies didn't work. We all used to tease him about being "on the dark side". He let me try fishing with worms a couple of times and when my teacher (Vivid-Fly) saw that, he told me to take the worm off...ha, ha...

Sometimes it can be frustrating when the fish are not interested in artificial flies. I don't mind giving the salmon egg a try, it looks pretty tempting to trout (or me?). Just have to hide this dark side from Chuck....

The Fishing Queen
07-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Fishing Queen I always have a few salmon eggs in my fly box. I make them using a glue gun with colored glue.

One more question, how can you make the salmon egg round using colored glue? Do you use any tools? I really like to try it.

DEVOREFLYER
07-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Fishing Queen hold the hook with hackle pliers and turn it while the glue cools, the learning curve is very short.

The Fishing Queen
07-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Fishing Queen hold the hook with hackle pliers and turn it while the glue cools, the learning curve is very short.

Got it, thanks a lot for the tip! :Cool:

Troutin Man
07-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Brookies would have gone nuts over A Panther Martin all gold or similar spinners.

There is always a fly they will like but you gotta figure it out. But it's always more rewarding than dunking power bait, especially if you are planning on C&R.

There's no way to C&R with dough bait. Thus the jigs, attempt with flies, and spinners. Brookies are good fighters. Man the trip was beautiful!

FSHNLIC
07-20-2013, 03:15 PM

It's ok... i didnt go up there for sabrina... hit a lot of my usual holes off 395... it was freaking hot in the valley!! Went up the canyon just to cool off.

Troutin Man
07-20-2013, 11:19 PM
It's ok... i didnt go up there for sabrina... hit a lot of my usual holes off 395... it was freaking hot in the valley!! Went up the canyon just to cool off.

I've never done the "holes" off the 395. Must be awesome...wish I had the time to explore. Have wife and kids with me on trips so don't have the time to explore and experiment. Just got to have a destination, get there, unpack, and then hit the lake...catch what I can...hang out with the fam...head home.

DEVOREFLYER
07-21-2013, 06:37 AM
If you want to explore and want great a heads up on where, how and what I suggest you visit this web site, none better if you want to fish the Sierras. Click on the maps button and then click on the different areas you will be surprised at the wealth of info. I gotta quit giving up my little secrets. lol

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/eastsierra.htm

Don't forget to click on the areas and names on the maps as they will expand for more info.

seal
07-21-2013, 10:19 AM
There's no way to C&R with dough bait.

Some don't agree with this statement, I'm glad you do!

Troutin Man
07-21-2013, 10:29 AM
If you want to explore and want great a heads up on where, how and what I suggest you visit this web site, none better if you want to fish the Sierras. Click on the maps button and then click on the different areas you will be surprised at the wealth of info. I gotta quit giving up my little secrets. lol

Don't forget to click on the areas and names on the maps as they will expand for more info.

So awesome of u to share info. Looking forward to a few trips over the next decade. Don't worry...my fishing footprint off the 395 will be minimal!

DEVOREFLYER
07-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Troutin Man your welcome. I have fished the Eastern Sierra for over 40 years. Steven's web site is the best be sure to click on every button o the web site a lifetime of info on that sight. If you don't flyfish learn to, you will better appreciate the skill of catching your prey, have more fun and C&R will be easy on the Trout. At my age I hope I have a Good Decade left. lol Enjoy it while you can.

The Fishing Queen
07-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Devoreflyer, I want to give feedback on the website that you provided. I checked it out, and I like the detailed info on each location and which flies work in each area. I copied the link and put it in my folder for future use. Thanks for sharing!

Totally agree with you on the benefits of fly fishing.

DEVOREFLYER
07-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Fishing Queen you are welcome. I hope that it will inspire you to take your family to the Eastern Sierra's you will not be disappointed. This year is very tough as water levels are at all time lows. For what it's worth mid October (Indian Summer) to November is my favorite and most productive time, fall colors and no crowds and the Brownies are in full spawn. A drift boat down the lower Owens River into January/Feburary can't be beat either. The upper Owens in the late fall and winter fly fishin' with a snowmobile is also a killer time. My two biggest Trout ever were in October at Crowley an 8 1/2 lb (C&R to get bigger). Eagle Lake Rainbow on a size 16 beadhead nymph under an indicator and an 16 lb Alpers Rainbow on the upper Owens in January tuggin' a streamer.

ps; The site also has tying instructions for those flies.

The Fishing Queen
07-21-2013, 02:16 PM
ps; The site also has tying instructions for those flies.

Super sweet bonus!:Razz:

DEVOREFLYER
07-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Fishing Queen just click on the flybox button then click on any fly then lick on tying instructions. Most all of my flies the last several years have been from this site. Oh and the materials can be bought at the site if you can't find them local.

Troutin Man
07-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Some don't agree with this statement, I'm glad you do!

Hey Seal. I have only liphooked trout with dough bait twice in my life. If people C/R trout with dough, they are full of it.

C/R with lures and flies people that are liphooked, and don't forget to wet your hands before gently handling them.

Troutin Man
07-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I tried the some flies I picked up from Sport Chalet. The only one they were interested in was the bead head prince nymph. My elk caddis, pheasant tails, wooly buggers, adams, and mosquitoes did not do well. It was worth a shot.

DEVOREFLYER
07-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Troutin Man The Nymph is your friend, it is my go to fly. I start with the Nymph and when the hatch is out I try to match the hatch, when the hatch is over it's back to the Nymph. I use the Nymph both with an indicator and under a dry fly. Double your chances, change it up if it's not working and don't stay in one place to long, keep moving. Shadows are your friend also, fish hide in the shadows and you can also hide in the shadows. Most of the Nymphs I use are size 16 & 18 sometimes as small as 20 but not often.

Troutin Man
07-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Troutin Man The Nymph is your friend, it is my go to fly. I start with the Nymph and when the hatch is out I try to match the hatch, when the hatch is over it's back to the Nymph. I use the Nymph both with an indicator and under a dry fly. Double your chances, change it up if it's not working and don't stay in one place to long, keep moving. Shadows are your friend also, fish hide in the shadows and you can also hide in the shadows. Most of the Nymphs I use are size 16 & 18 sometimes as small as 20 but not often.

I've only tried doubling a nymph once with a fly. Forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. I will give it a try the next time! Thanks!

Beancounter
08-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Great web site Devorflyer!
Bookmarked for sure!...;)