PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to the Wood in last few days?

michaelk
07-15-2013, 05:46 PM
I am betting water is still high and won't be down until another heat wave hits Southern Calif..

I am tempted to start driving to BBL, until fall.

Just checking?

Jmac
07-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Wondering the same thing. I can't wait until summer is over and the garbage that attends the lake has hibernated for the winter. Gonna attempt it on Friday.

Mobydick
07-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Was there this weekend. Water still high, weeds here n there, and stripies were hungry.

michaelk
07-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Was there this weekend. Water still high, weeds here n there, and stripies were hungry.

Off the dam? Hungry dinks?

michaelk
07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Wondering the same thing. I can't wait until summer is over and the garbage that attends the lake has hibernated for the winter. Gonna attempt it on Friday.

You must only get Friday to fish. After last weekend I am passing on the dock until fall.

Or you're totally into "THE PAIN!!!".......................... That BS crew that comes down and sends a runner or two to take the west end, I know you know who I mean, strutting their stuff like they are the Pros from Dover (Mash circa 196?) . Give me a break, and those were the dudes who stole my ****! Because it was that crew who were on the ramp and my **** was gone!!! They were the only ones to leave from down there also. So I know it was them!

Oh well! Get a rope!

Have fun man!

Answer me this do you park off of 138 and hike to Millers Canyon? or do you use a boat?

Good luck.

Jmac
07-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Strictly shore until (knock on wood) next year when I plan on buying a boat. For the most part I fish over in the coves by live oak. You gotta take the forest trail by the damn then hike down into the cove. Haven't done Miller Canyon in a while but when I do I bring my mountain bike and ride in from pilot rock. The ride down is easy but going back can be a pain when you're toting poles, tackle box, and possibly a net. Was also hitting up cleghorn for a little and parking at the last turn out before the exit to the park and riding a bike in as well but I got a bad vibe doing that and quit it. Had a healthy size bobcat stare me down around 4 ish in the morning and creeped me out.

michaelk
07-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Strictly shore until (knock on wood) next year when I plan on buying a boat. For the most part I fish over in the coves by live oak. You gotta take the forest trail by the damn then hike down into the cove. Haven't done Miller Canyon in a while but when I do I bring my mountain bike and ride in from pilot rock. The ride down is easy but going back can be a pain when you're toting poles, tackle box, and possibly a net. Was also hitting up cleghorn for a little and parking at the last turn out before the exit to the park and riding a bike in as well but I got a bad vibe doing that and quit it. Had a healthy size bobcat stare me down around 4 ish in the morning and creeped me out.

Coming home early morning I have seen two bobcats on 173 big cats! Never heard of one attacking humans in the area. But it is their home and they are ambush predators, so I could just see them figuring it out that just about the top of the trail and your huffin and puffin would be a great time to attack! There are big cats in the woods around the "Wood" I have few friends that hunt that area and report seeing carcasses and tracks all the time.

so you got some secret spots it sounds like or favorite spots, cool!

Hope you get your boat.

Good luck

Viejo
07-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Coming home early morning I have seen two bobcats on 173 big cats! Never heard of one attacking humans in the area. But it is their home and they are ambush predators, so I could just see them figuring it out that just about the top of the trail and your huffin and puffin would be a great time to attack! There are big cats in the woods around the "Wood" I have few friends that hunt that area and report seeing carcasses and tracks all the time.

so you got some secret spots it sounds like or favorite spots, cool!

Hope you get your boat.

Good luck

There are both Mountain Lion and Bobcat throughout that entire area. I sure wouldn't give a second thought about Bobcats and humans. Unless you corner one and mess with it, they will avoid you like the plague. Mountain Lion certainly have the capability for severe injury or death but are even more secretive then the Bobcats. I'd worry more about the two legged varmints myself...

michaelk
07-15-2013, 09:10 PM
There are both Mountain Lion and Bobcat throughout that entire area. I sure wouldn't give a second thought about Bobcats and humans. Unless you corner one and mess with it, they will avoid you like the plague. Mountain Lion certainly have the capability for severe injury or death but are even more secretive then the Bobcats. I'd worry more about the two legged varmints myself...

I do there have been a few robberies of fisherman, and cars getting broke into, my sheriff buddy said the reason Cedar Spring and Millers Cayon are close is due to gang problems, shooting and gang fights, same reason they closed lower Deep Creek off road area. Not so much budget but people problems

Mobydick
07-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Off the dam? Hungry dinks?

Yea, a lot of dinks but we managed to get about a dozen or so schoolies. We fished the coves early morning then moved to the dam.

seal
07-15-2013, 09:43 PM
I've had Bob's hunting next to me. Had one that for years I saw and he would walk within 50' or so from me and we'd just deal with each other. That old Bob is gone now, grizzled big old dude think he kicked the bucket.

Anyways the Bob's at the Wood are different from OC bob's or most other bob's, they don't run away. I have had mountain lion encounters in the dark and those are the ones you need to keep your eye on. But there is so much prey that I really don't think that they are hungry enough to want to mess with us. Did see a bear in the Horn a couple weeks ago.

Only animal at the Wood I'd fear is the damn rattler's!

michaelk
07-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I've had Bob's hunting next to me. Had one that for years I saw and he would walk within 50' or so from me and we'd just deal with each other. That old Bob is gone now, grizzled big old dude think he kicked the bucket.

Anyways the Bob's at the Wood are different from OC bob's or most other bob's, they don't run away. I have had mountain lion encounters in the dark and those are the ones you need to keep your eye on. But there is so much prey that I really don't think that they are hungry enough to want to mess with us. Did see a bear in the Horn a couple weeks ago.

Only animal at the Wood I'd fear is the damn rattler's!

Dude I had one the other night! and dam we had a bucket full of them the other day on the backside, this photo looked just like the one we stumbled into the other day except that one was pissed off!

This one was shot going to deep creek but it was right next to the Wood!

seal
07-15-2013, 10:16 PM
One of the biggest if not the biggest I've seen was on the backside coming down by quiet cove (you know the cove think you fish right there, it's the name I know it by). Huge I cleared maybe a 10ft long jump and I have short stubby legs and am old.

It's amazing the physical capabilities one has when confronted by a huge rattler!

michaelk
07-15-2013, 10:37 PM
One of the biggest if not the biggest I've seen was on the backside coming down by quiet cove (you know the cove think you fish right there, it's the name I know it by). Huge I cleared maybe a 10ft long jump and I have short stubby legs and am old.

It's amazing the physical capabilities one has when confronted by a huge rattler!Y\

Yep that is where I fish! Notice my boot prints this guy was tame at the time, so I could get close but I couldn't raise the camera and keep an eye on him that close, so I had to settle for a tail end shot.

I have been warned a few times to keep an eye out, and not step over anything that I couldn't know for sure was clear. Also watch the hands where you place them.

I shake out all of my clothing I set on the ground, do a complete search of my backpack after its been lying open and on the ground, and I don;t just stick my hand in it either. I hate snakes!

They are out this year and since this is my first year I just figure they are going to be real thick.

Deep Creek up in Arrowhead was the most snakes I ever saw in one small place. I hope I don't get bit looking for the bite.

Nor anyone else for that matter.

What about the skunks? They have balls as big as Lady Quagga's !!! I saw one as big as my cat at my pole and won't leave! I was throwing rocks, rolling small stones and it turn its rump at me and not know how far they could fire and hit I left!

seal
07-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Y\

Yep that is where I fish! Notice my boot prints this guy was tame at the time, so I could get close but I couldn't raise the camera and keep an eye on him that close, so I had to settle for a tail end shot.

I have been warned a few times to keep an eye out, and not step over anything that I couldn't know for sure was clear. Also watch the hands where you place them.

I shake out all of my clothing I set on the ground, do a complete search of my backpack after its been lying open and on the ground, and I don;t just stick my hand in it either. I hate snakes!

They are out this year and since this is my first year I just figure they are going to be real thick.

Deep Creek up in Arrowhead was the most snakes I ever saw in one small place. I hope I don't get bit looking for the bite.

Nor anyone else for that matter.

What about the skunks? They have balls as big as Lady Quagga's !!! I saw one as big as my cat at my pole and won't leave! I was throwing rocks, rolling small stones and it turn its rump at me and not know how far they could fire and hit I left!

Down in Miller a couple weeks ago I had a big ole skunk in the trail in front of me, surprised him while he was eating something, his tail went flying up and I took off running back down the trail. He never let loose but didn't leave the trail, whatever he was eating he wanted to continue eating so I just waited him out. That was the closest I've come to getting sprayed if he would have let loose I would have been too close to escape unscented.

fishincouple
07-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for all the talk...it reminds me to be watchful out there. I bring my little dog with me and I know it is risky, but he's my fishin buddy. The long leash attached to my belt loop helps. :Smile: Was out at Live Oak the other night. Damn skunks wouldn't leave us alone. Seemed like every time we heard a noise, looked over on the shelf and BAM, right at eye level, 4 foot away...YIKES!! A few months ago my brother's dog got sprayed...short trip...long baths...YUCK! Haven't ran into any Bob's yet or lions...but here I thought carrying the 9 was too much gear. NOT! Don't wanna be lunch/dinner...or breakfast! Be safe fellow fisherman!

michaelk
07-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Down in Miller a couple weeks ago I had a big ole skunk in the trail in front of me, surprised him while he was eating something, his tail went flying up and I took off running back down the trail. He never let loose but didn't leave the trail, whatever he was eating he wanted to continue eating so I just waited him out. That was the closest I've come to getting sprayed if he would have let loose I would have been too close to escape unscented.

Too funny. They are not afraid of much. Other animals don't eat them do they? To big for a rattler. So they pretty much run the place.

To bad we couldn't train them to do what the green shirts do (not much), then they could run the place and we could save on entry fees

seal
07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Too funny. They are not afraid of much. Other animals don't eat them do they? To big for a rattler. So they pretty much run the place.

To bad we couldn't train them to do what the green shirts do (not much), then they could run the place and we could save on entry fees

OOPS! Many of those "green shirts" are my friends, I think they do a fine job with what they have to deal with out there, I don't think Pepe la pew would be able to handle the losers. It really is all about staffing they just don't have the numbers they have had in the past.

seal
07-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for all the talk...it reminds me to be watchful out there. I bring my little dog with me and I know it is risky, but he's my fishin buddy. The long leash attached to my belt loop helps. :Smile: Was out at Live Oak the other night. Damn skunks wouldn't leave us alone. Seemed like every time we heard a noise, looked over on the shelf and BAM, right at eye level, 4 foot away...YIKES!! A few months ago my brother's dog got sprayed...short trip...long baths...YUCK! Haven't ran into any Bob's yet or lions...but here I thought carrying the 9 was too much gear. NOT! Don't wanna be lunch/dinner...or breakfast! Be safe fellow fisherman!

Careful on the carry. I've heard numerous story's of the "green shirts" busting those that carry into the park. I wouldn't worry too much about the local wildlife there are quite a few of us that wander the Wood at night or off days and so far to the best of my knowledge none of us have gotten ate up.

fishincouple
07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
:Wink: Gotcha on that, no issues with that here tho. Yeah, no problems or sighting's for us. Hoping to keep it that way.

DEVOREFLYER
07-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Lots of Mountain Lions in those hills for sure. Here is a pic of three taken about 3 miles (as the crow flies) several years ago with my game camera. Needless to say I do not go into that area anymore unarmed. These three appeared to be yearlings and should be full size by now and the deer have all but disappeared in the area.

alexgee926
07-17-2013, 05:49 PM
yeah ive heard a lot of people say they have seen mountain lions at the wood. never heard of anyone getting attacked, but keep an eye out cause those things will stalk you.