PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake Friday 7/12 Little trout everywhere...

Mojave River Angler
07-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Hit the water in yaks about 7ish. We attacked the west end of the lake with all manner of spinning and shining nonsense will no luck. Tried night crawlers and different depths...ended up with a crappie. The only thing that seemed to be a consistend getter was just about any color or flavor of dough bait...but not sitting still. They were up for the chase this time. So we trolled dough baits from the yaks most of the day. I ended up with about 25...nothing over 1.25 lbs. My buddy ended the day with 10...but for it it was his first day going solo in his new yak. A good day for both of us. It didn't really seem like they were hot at any point in the day. It was just a slow and steady deal. I did nail down one area where every pass yielded a catch or two. As you know these spots move from day to day. I don't go chasing other groups of boats around so I don't really know how others did. It seemed like it would be a tough day fishing from shore since they really wanted to chase stuff.

So for now...the DINKS RULE at BBL. Good luck finding something for the dinner plate. In only ended up with one really nice salmon colored (inside) fish. The others were pale or just slim fresh plants.

No need for pics of little trout here.

MRA

etaggart
07-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Great report, MRA - Do you mind sharing about what depth they were sucking the dough? Or was it up and down the column from 6' down to 20+'?

And, are you lucky enough to have electronics on board? If so, did you notice a positive correlation between marking fish and catching fish?

Last time I was up in a boat, we were drifting, trolling, still-fishing through areas marking lots of fish (at least some must have been trout - the lake can't be 100% carp yet ;) ) but we were having a hell of a time getting anything to bite

Cheers,

Eric

GdHkSet1
07-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the 411, we were thinking of getting out if the heat and heading up for some trolling this weekend.

michaelk
07-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Is there a shore to fish from? Is the water level high or low? West end use to be good fishing just before what I call ice in. I know our ice in is just comical to real ice in fishing but the trout know the water is cooling. Thanks for the report

seal
07-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Is there a shore to fish from? Is the water level high or low? West end use to be good fishing just before what I call ice in. I know our ice in is just comical to real ice in fishing but the trout know the water is cooling. Thanks for the report

Challenge with shore fishing BBL this time of the year is the weedbeds close to shore.

Think it's time for a tube and tug, haven't been out this year. Thanks for the report!

Mojave River Angler
07-17-2013, 07:32 AM
It seemed to me that the fish were in the upper 20' of the column. Water was fairly clear so I suspect they can see and feel anything from 20' all the way up. I tried going down but it didn't produce. No electronics this time...just using the force. Until last weekend we had nothing but "lean" trips all spring and summer. We felt stupid because we knew they were there...just couldn't come up with a bait and presentation that would make them want to play. Looking forward to a better fall. Feels good to "win" once in a while. Makes it feel like a game.

MRA

Mojave River Angler
07-17-2013, 07:34 AM
On the water level...It looks to me like it is down about 4' from it's spring high.
MRA