PDA

View Full Version : surf fishing gear (I hope this the right place to post this)

vertical
07-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone,
I am off to start a new thing, surf fishing! I have quality fresh and salt water gear most of which are custom made Calstar rods for salt and loomis/shimano rods for fresh. With that said, I am looking for information about surf fishing gear. I used to take my cumara/culcatta dc setup to the beach and cast from there... That's the only experience with surf fishing that I have. Now, because of time restrictions due to work ( I prefer to be on a boat, who wouldn't?) , I want to get more surf fishing time ( beach is a skip and hop away from where I'm at ) but this time using the " proper" gear.

So here's my question:
Recommendation for a " proper" surf rod, say 12' and up. I don't like to use folding or multi piece rods but because of the length of " proper" surf rods, I'll make an exemption on this one.
I will mate the rod to a Shimano Stella SWB STL10000SWBPG (American version) , (mine will be the Japanese version don't know if there are differences besides cosmetic) so needless to say, spinning rod needed.

Please reply with recommend rod:

Make
Model
and, if you have actually used it, feedback.

Budget? I'm pretty much open to most anything as long as I can justify the cost. ( like... its expensive because its as heavy as a LC110 lure... Or because its custom built or ....)

Thanks

JL
07-16-2013, 01:51 PM
You should also post this on the Surf Bay section. Several Surf reports available including gear if you look through the hundreds of posts in that section.

titos334
07-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Where are you fishing? somewhere in the east coast?

DockRat
07-18-2013, 06:52 AM
I feel too many people worry too much about gear. Retailers love you guys.$$$
Too much 'look at me' competition.
Just fish. 'Run What U Brung.'
DR

murrieta angler
07-18-2013, 08:08 AM
What are you fishing for?
There are long rod guys, short rod bait and wait guys and there are short rod cast and retrieve guys.
When I say short, I mean 8'6" and under.
I use a clarus 2 piece, 7'6", light power, fast action.
I use a saros 2500 and 4000. I spool it with P-line from 8-12 pound.
Robert
<><