PDA

View Full Version : deck boots

Perris_holic
07-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I am going on a overnight out of san diego and I was wondering if deck boots are necessary?

DockRat
07-13-2013, 05:39 PM
73 views and no replies ?
Boots are good if it gets real wet or bloody.
As for the boots being necessary ? If you don't fish the salt much I'd say no they aren't necessary.
Not all the guys wear them. They are good for staying dry when the deckhand is hosing off. Keep a eye out when they hose down and you'll be okay. Bring 1 or 2 pairs of extra socks and a spare pair of shoes in case you get wet.

Frequent Flyer
07-13-2013, 06:01 PM
no theyre not necessary, just dont mind getting a little wet if wet at all, and youre good to go out with sandals or your work hard, play hard shoes

bman90278
07-13-2013, 09:33 PM
As for the boots being necessary ? If you don't fish the salt much I'd say no they aren't necessary.
Not all the guys wear them. They are good for staying dry when the deckhand is hosing off. Keep a eye out when they hose down and you'll be okay. Bring 1 or 2 pairs of extra socks and a spare pair of shoes in case you get wet.

Good advice DR, The last few times I've been out this month I noticed the deckhands definitely gave us all a good heads up before they started hosing down the decks.

-brian

CraigH
07-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Good advice. Boots will keep your feet dry, and (hopefully) keep you from slipping on a wet or bloody deck. If you don't have boots, wear shoes that won't slip. I've seen guys wearing sandals but wouldn't recommend it. Too many hooks get loose on the deck and I like to have my feet covered.

etucker1959
07-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I'll give you my 2 cents on this one, but I don't necessarily recommend my own idea. After over 500 trips at sea on party boats, I have worn every kind of foot wear there is including no shoes. (I DO NOT EVERY RECOMMENDING THAT ONE) So here is what I came up. Deck boots are great for keeping your feet totally dry, the problem I have with deck boots are, their heavy on your feet and don't go with wearing shorts. ( I love wearing shorts especially in the summer time ) Tennis shoes are great, their light on your feet and have a good grip. The problem I have with tennis shoes is keeping them dry, once their wet your screwed. So with all that being said, I prefer but don't necessarily recommend for safety reason a good pair of high quality sandals. Why sandals? Their light on your feet, real easy getting off and on (Think JIG STRIKE and everyone is in their bunks) and you don't care if the deck hand hoses you down. In fact being hosed down by the deck hand on a really hot day feels great. lol

Perris_holic
07-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Thanks for all the info guys I had a good time out there. I didn't expect all the craziness and line tangles whenever we would roll up on a patty though. I ended up just wearing some nikes and didn't even get wet. The deckhands normally would just announce that they were coming and I had plenty of time to get out of their way.