PDA

View Full Version : The Wedge Jetty/Grunion 7/9

Ranoxic
07-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I was able to convince some friends to head down and try our hand at some jetty fishing near the wedge. We're all pretty much flying it blind going in, so we found a semi-comfortable spot down from the West Jetty Park, and set out our lines.

Bait was frozen anchovies, squid, and top smelt, along with a few casted spoons.

We got fish at the tail end of low-tide, fish for a few hours with only a 3 inch Calico Bass and a Jack-Smelt to show for it. We went to Perry's down at the pier for dinner then waited for the grunion to run south of Newport Pier. A lot of folks were there, but walked off after 10:45 when they didn't show. They started showing up around 11:00pm, no real large numbers, but we had loads of fun chasing after them in the dark. No flash lights made it an interesting experience, and the three of us that stayed for grunion ended up with 10 of the buggers. A victory for our first Grunion run with no lights to speak of. I ended up smoking them, and they came out delicious.

We're going to try a surf trip during the next grunion, fish off the beach during the late-afternoon then reel up and try again for the grunion, it's a blast running up and down the beach chasing them!

Good luck and tight lines to everyone!

Wingnut
07-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun. The last time I was in the middle of a Grunion run, we were busy landing Halibut. :Wink:
Thanks for the report. :Cool:

fishfinder
07-16-2013, 09:47 PM
last time i went grunion hunting, 3 of us filled a 5 gallon bucket with them. took us 8 hours after we got home to clean them. lol. took us about 30 minutes to fill the bucket. north side of malibu pier.

PTN
07-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Cool report! Smoked grunion huh? I got to try that but I first got to learn how to smoke fish :LOL:. I'm planning to take a co-worker out for his first grunion run and they are pretty fun to grab but I prefer to catch the bigger fish eating them if they are around :Big Grin:.

-Peter