PDA

View Full Version : Campsite Suggestions

MarkyMark
07-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Hey guys/gals,

Do you guys have any campsite suggestions for a Fri/Sat 395 turn & burn? The last 2 years I went to the PVR campsite in Bishop, but open to Big Pine,Lone Pine, Toms Place or Mammoth. Would like to tent and fish, taking 2 kids with me..Thanks

MM

Viejo
07-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Hey guys/gals,

Do you guys have any campsite suggestions for a Fri/Sat 395 turn & burn? The last 2 years I went to the PVR campsite in Bishop, but open to Big Pine,Lone Pine, Toms Place or Mammoth. Would like to tent and fish, taking 2 kids with me..Thanks

MM

Kids? Stay at upper Twin Lakes Campground in Mammoth. They have a little store that sells bait...you can rent a rowboat for very reasonable fee and they stock the heck out of it. Probably get to see a bear or two as well.

Joshua
07-11-2013, 11:22 AM
What ages are the kids? I have tent camped extensively in the Bishop area for years and could make some better recommendations if I knew what you are looking for.

Creekside RV park on Bishop South Fork They have a couple tent sites and their own stocked Pond. Along with the creek that flows through the campground. They have a small general store and Bishop Creek Lodge/store/Restaraunt is across the street. Or Four Jefferey Campground on Bishop South Fork about 1 mile West from Creekside.
There are state campgrounds at Intake II, several others along Bishop South Fork and the Middle Fork. Also a campground up near North Lake. This is a small campground and there are no ammenities.

Another suggestion is Big Pine. Glacial Lodge campground. You have the creek and a small pond. There are 2 state campgrounds (Pine Flats??) along Big Pine Creek.

DCCTrouserTrout
07-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Sage Flats is the lower camp at Big Pine. Be careful with Glacier Lodge, it is usually all reserved on the weekends.

IncredibleHuck
07-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Kids? Stay at upper Twin Lakes Campground in Mammoth. They have a little store that sells bait...you can rent a rowboat for very reasonable fee and they stock the heck out of it. Probably get to see a bear or two as well.

Was thinking the same thing or even the lake mary campground between mary and mamie.

There are also a ton of campgrounds in the rock creek drainage.

MarkyMark
07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
What ages are the kids? I have tent camped extensively in the Bishop area for years and could make some better recommendations if I knew what you are looking for.

Creekside RV park on Bishop South Fork They have a couple tent sites and their own stocked Pond. Along with the creek that flows through the campground. They have a small general store and Bishop Creek Lodge/store/Restaraunt is across the street. Or Four Jefferey Campground on Bishop South Fork about 1 mile West from Creekside.
There are state campgrounds at Intake II, several others along Bishop South Fork and the Middle Fork. Also a campground up near North Lake. This is a small campground and there are no ammenities.

Another suggestion is Big Pine. Glacial Lodge campground. You have the creek and a small pond. There are 2 state campgrounds (Pine Flats??) along Big Pine Creek.

The ages are 14 (my son) & 8 (nephew)...I want to give my visiting nephew the experience of sleeping under the stars. Me & my son have gone to the Kern & Bishop the past few years...tented & fished along the river. Last August we went up to North Lake and Intake II to get out of the heat, but we stayed at PVR camp site

I know there are other places on the way up (Big Pine) but never stayed there before
I also heard about Rock Creek drainage. I'll be checking back for you replies...Thanks!

MM

Joshua
07-11-2013, 09:52 PM
The ages are 14 (my son) & 8 (nephew)...I want to give my visiting nephew the experience of sleeping under the stars. Me & my son have gone to the Kern & Bishop the past few years...tented & fished along the river. Last August we went up to North Lake and Intake II to get out of the heat, but we stayed at PVR camp site

I know there are other places on the way up (Big Pine) but never stayed there before
I also heard about Rock Creek drainage. I'll be checking back for you replies...Thanks!

MM
Sent you a PM> Check your Inbox.

MarkyMark
07-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Thx for the suggestions..

gzank6
07-17-2013, 09:06 AM
I can vouch for four jeffery and north lake campground. if going to four jeffery get a reservation close to the creek... anything else is out in the open and very little shade. flush toilets and water but this is the busiest time of the year also. North Lake is cooler, much more shade but is first come first serve and its popular with hikers. Also, some sites are walk-in... not far but you have to park and take your gear in maybe 100 or so yards. Really nice setting, vault toilets... and water. Enjoy!

MarkyMark
07-17-2013, 09:23 AM
I can vouch for four jeffery and north lake campground. if going to four jeffery get a reservation close to the creek... anything else is out in the open and very little shade. flush toilets and water but this is the busiest time of the year also. North Lake is cooler, much more shade but is first come first serve and its popular with hikers. Also, some sites are walk-in... not far but you have to park and take your gear in maybe 100 or so yards. Really nice setting, vault toilets... and water. Enjoy!

I stayed at the four jefferey campground. Got there around 5pm Friday & manahed to get one of the walkin sites across from the creek site. The creek sites look real good, I'm going again probably 1st week in August..