PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood report July 10

michaelk
07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
One dink! Stocked trout are bigger than this guy. Question is it the fish managements position to take the fish and kill down the population due to over population by the stripper? There are so many small striper I can easily see a problem with trying to feed this many fish as they grow bigger.

Anyway I tossed him back to grow up.

The water level continues to rise and all the fishing spots I had that produced are now underwater. Almost all the beaches are gone from the backside, and either you fish off of a 10 - 15 foot cliff, and who knows how you would land a big fish, getting it from the water to the top without a large gaff? Or fish off of the few beaches in the inside loop of the cove?

Water color is clearing up but has the look of water that has a lot of sediment in it, reminds me of the glacier water in rivers up north, has almost the same color as glacier run off. But the green moss is gone! That has to be good for the oxygen levels.

Guy I spoke to yesterday caught nice trout out of the cove I was fishing from the night before, so I am going to start bring a trout stick with me. My friend caught a nice trout, all silver like a lake trout, last week off of shrimp, so I believe this guy caught trout 2 nights ago.

Shore fishing on the backside has gotten harder and the fish are not biting like a few weeks ago.

Water is very high, it seems to jump up a foot or so of shoreline every night.

Any ideas as to why they are filling the lake so much?

Michael

eah
07-11-2013, 10:59 AM
My wife and I also fished Silverwood on 7/10. We were at the northwest buoy line. Lots of very small stripers. Between us and the boats around us, I think I say a hundred plus stripers, all about nine inches.

seal
07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Water in Silverwood will always be on the higher side unless work is being done on the Aquaduct. The highest lake in the chain normally will carry the most water with the last lake getting screwed (DVL). When they stop pumping water into the Wood because of maintenance the water continues to flow out which is why there can be a lot of fluctuation at Silverwood.

The bite seems to be changing a bit but some days they are very active just before dark including some nice boils (yes I said boils), normally a lighter wind is necessary this time of the year for a good boil probably because of the size of the bait, still real small, and the need for the stripers to be able to see their prey better. You will probably notice that when the sun goes down behind the hills the boils will stop as opposed to later in the year when they are up chasing shad (think their on Silversides right now) the boils will continue till dark. Lot's of speculation that's what makes it fun, trying to figure them damn fish out!

michaelk
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the input. Any thoughts about the trout report? Is it even worth it with the warm water and the impact it has on taste? So I still don't understand why it is so high? This is normal? I thought it might be to generate extra electric juice for the summer?

Jmac
07-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Total bummer to hear about the water level coming back up. Really screws shore fisherman at that lake. Gonna hit it tomorrow morning from the dock and maybe go into miller canyon.

Hoot951
07-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Total bummer to hear about the water level coming back up. Really screws shore fisherman at that lake. Gonna hit it tomorrow morning from the dock and maybe go into miller canyon.

Jmac let us know how it goes tomorrow I wanted to fish there Sat or Sun morning.

Master Baiter1
07-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Water is very high, it seems to jump up a foot or so of shoreline every night.

Any ideas as to why they are filling the lake so much?

Michael

You can see the shift in water levels here. Last year compared to this year too.
http://www.water.ca.gov/swp/operationscontrol/docs/storsil.pdf
You can see the winter months when maintenance always occurs because of low water demand it really fluctuates.

The Fishing Queen
07-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the report, I was wondering about Silverwood since my last trip there. What time were you there? I noticed that fishing was good in the early morning and the striped bass were active. Then, the bites slowed down after 10:30-11 am.

michaelk
07-14-2013, 03:27 PM
It was a very hot, and very slow fishing. It was overcrowded and there were no fish. Even the dinks were slow. A couple of stiper and one catfish. For all of the bait in the water, two poles each fisherman, and 40 -50 fisherman? Do the math.

I am going to hit it again to check the water level mid week this week.

Wadding, boating probably better, float tube. But shore fishing is slow, very, very slow.

But it could turn on a dime and be hot again. Just like the weather.

We got there at 6:00 am on the water by 6:15, fishing soaking bait by 6:20. Pulled out about one and went to Cleghorn. High wind and I was done so went home.

michaelk
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM

Do you hike into Millers? Or boat? I am doing an off road recon to the Millers cove on the backside soon. Looking for a way into the closed Millers recreation area. It has to be good back there!!! It just to steep for me, at my age! Sucks to have to say that, but as Clint Eastwood says "Mans got to know his limitations!"