PDA

View Full Version : Skinner Reservoir 7/6

Stalker Of Fish
07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
My Son and I took our boat out . We trolled early morning until 10:00 with no love using
umbrella rigs on the downrigger . Metered a couple small schools going up and down the center of the lake.
We then went to the outlet which had a good amount of water coming in . We caught one small Striper
I would of released but it was gut hooked . Two small catfish were caught and released . At 12:30 it
was too hot for my 5 year old boy so I had my Wife meet us at the Kiosk so he could go take a swim and cool down . I then went back to the inlet and anchored up . At 1:00 I witnessed several 10 pound plus cats get caught by two other boats nearby . I hooked up to a big boy either Striper or Cat and about 5 minutes into the fight it went under my boat and wrapped my line around both anchor lines and then broke off.
I saw another small Striper get caught and from what I heard from several other boats very few Stripers were caught . I fished the rest of the day in area around the inlet a few more nibbles but no takers.

At around 6:30 I witnessed something remarkable . A couple of guys trolled by using fly Rods and started catching small fun Stripers left and right . Each time they came around they would stop and talk to me explaining there methods in great detail. I had my 9 weight fly rod and sinking line with me and even a couple flies in the right size, pattern and color . The gentleman named Al told me my set up was good and told me to follow them as they made there passes around the area .
He even corrected me on my stripping as I had my rod pointed wrong for their method.
I ended up getting one good hit on the fly right before the Patrol Boat told me to head back to the ramp.

What was remarkable you might ask since seeing some one else catch fish when you are having a slow day is not uncommon . The remarkable thing was how much time the gentleman took to school me and how
much information he passed on to me . He even gave me a custom fly tied by a local guide who I met
maybe 12 years ago or so, who was the first person I ever saw catching Stripers at Skinner with a
Fly Rod. So now I will struggle to reverse engineer that fly so I can tie more of them as they are
a real fish catching pattern . An original created by the man .

I would like to thank Al and his partner George and hold them up as examples of great fisherman with the right attitude.
Passing on information to me that will insure I have a go to method that is elegant and productive!
Fly fishing is my favorite way to fish anyway as it reminds me of my Father who passed on last year.
We should all take time when we can to help each other catch fish . There are plenty of fish to
go around . I hope to see Al and George his partner that day again as they are the kind of men I
enjoy being around . Maybe we can become friends as I would like that. I know I could learn a lot
more from them and will pass on what I learn to others . They were examples of the true spirit of a Fisherman you don't run across very often .

drifter023
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Sounds like a great day all and all and you made a couple of fishing friends. Fish photo made me hungry.

Stalker Of Fish
07-10-2013, 10:26 AM
YEPPERS! A fun day for sure . The Striper tasted great my two kids loved it as did I . Thanks for posting.

castle
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Stripers on a fly rod set up.I didn't think that was possible.

ben0606
07-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Good stuff and thanks for sharing. It's great to see those types of fishermen, real class acts yourself included.

michaelk
07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I really like what you shared. I have had a couple of Fisherman in my life do similar, taking time and interest in me , paying it forward, I do try and do the same because it makes the sport great. We all have had the middle finger treatment when we have asked for help from successful anglers.

My first nice striper (under 2 lbs) but for me so far that is a nice striper was caught using fly and bubble, with a streamer about 3 inch in green.

Great report, thank you.

Michael

Stalker Of Fish
07-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys this was my first report so sorry if it was a little wordy! Yes indeed Stripers on a fly is not only possible the method caught more Stripers that day than any other I am quite sure of that .

K.C.K.
07-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Al's a great guy taught me the fly years ago . The fly would be one of Bob's he sells them not cool to copy unless its only for personal use. Once you get the fly bite it gets addicting