PDA

View Full Version : July 3rd, July 5th and July 6th Silverwood Report

michaelk
07-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I spent the day of the 3rd fishing off the dock in the marina i got there at 7:00 am and the dock was packed. The section to the left of the T was solid poles and fishermen. The action was slow, I caught 4 striper on anchovies cut into thirds, didn't use the head. It was very hot, wind was moderate.

Went to the backside on the 5th and the water level is rising very high, most of my fishing beaches are either underwater or almost under water. It makes finding a good spot rather difficult. The moss is dying off and the water color is coming back to normal. Many small striper, mostly just bait strippers, no size to the ones we caught. We had chicken liver, anchovies, shrimp, some bad Jimmy Dean Sausage, and the kitchen sink. Overall the chicken liver out performs all the other baits. Shrimp under preforms but many anglers I talk to use shrimp and there photos show it works.

Caught this 6.5 to 7 lbs catfish. It was a good time too. She looks pregnant and I let her go. Besides she was the best fighting catfish I have ever caught in my 57 years of fishing. She broke surface water 6 -7 times, throwing her weight around, and every time she saw shore she went ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ back to deep water. I was using light line and wanted her to be nice and tired when she saw the net.

Last night was just plain boring. Two small dinks, and hours of nothing.

Silverwood at sunset.

The shore is gone, the water is up to the white li\ne on the rocks. so it is at it normal high mark. I am not to sure about how things work at the Wood just learning the lake. All I know is she is a tough Mistress and fun as heck to fish.

Michael

alexgee926
07-07-2013, 12:12 PM
time to tear it up again. was the water high when you caught that fatty?

michaelk
07-07-2013, 12:33 PM
time to tear it up again. was the water high when you caught that fatty?

Extremely high. I think the algae and moss are dying and the high water helped kill or reduce the amount of light that the lake lettuce needs to grow, I see the water color coming back from a sickly yellowish greenish blue, to a more lake like blue.

But with my limited Silverwood experience (less than a year on the lake) my guess is high water slow fishing, lower water and much better fishing. This is just what I have found fishing over the last few months.

seal
07-07-2013, 12:39 PM
High water more difficult shore fishing but not necessarily "slow" fishing. If you are sitting on the shoreline dunking bait high water makes things much more difficult if you are wet wading and tossing lures then not so much.

I haven't been there for a few days, I'll leave Silverwood to everybody else during the holiday weekends, I thank you for the update and glad you were able to get a few!

michaelk
07-07-2013, 12:57 PM
High water more difficult shore fishing but not necessarily "slow" fishing. If you are sitting on the shoreline dunking bait high water makes things much more difficult if you are wet wading and tossing lures then not so much.

I haven't been there for a few days, I'll leave Silverwood to everybody else during the holiday weekends, I thank you for the update and glad you were able to get a few!

It is crazy busy. It was lit up like a Christmas tree last night. With all the headlamps and lanterns.

The liter is what I can't believe. Man what is the deal? You brought it to the lake, why do you think you can just leave it? My friends and I clean up a lot of it when we can but I am getting old and packing out someone else's stuff sucks!!!

I forgot to mention some old timers leaving the dock in a group, one of them swiped some of my tackle!!! Just inexpensive stuff pole holders and some hooks ( ok well that was real money) but it was a real eye opener. I need to remember to keep my tackle tight and in view.

Your welcome for the report. Hope to see you there someday and get schooled in stirper skoal! :)

seal
07-07-2013, 01:05 PM
It is crazy busy. It was lit up like a Christmas tree last night. With all the headlamps and lanterns.

The liter is what I can't believe. Man what is the deal? You brought it to the lake, why do you think you can just leave it? My friends and I clean up a lot of it when we can but I am getting old and packing out someone else's stuff sucks!!!

I forgot to mention some old timers leaving the dock in a group, one of them swiped some of my tackle!!! Just inexpensive stuff pole holders and some hooks ( ok well that was real money) but it was a real eye opener. I need to remember to keep my tackle tight and in view.

Your welcome for the report. Hope to see you there someday and get schooled in stirper skoal! :)

Yes you need to keep an eye on your stuff for sure. There are others there that will take your stuff, I never let my backpack out of my site, I'm just glad I heard the stories before I became a statistic. Don't even think it's only during the busy season also, like everywhere there are shady dudes just waiting to take your hard earned gear. Good that you warned everybody and didn't loose anything too expensive.

The trash well it's a losing battle till after Labor Day weekend, I will be happy when summers over!

Jig-Guy
07-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the report and pictures. I am glad you got bit.

Hoot951
07-07-2013, 02:43 PM
I was out at Silverwood yesterday morning trying to catch my first ever striper. I ended up catching 15 small dinks in 2 hours and decided to call it a day. I feel what your saying about the trash. The cove where I was fishing had so much trash, chairs, and what looked like part of a broken canopy. Please people pick up after yourself.

CCfisherman
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Nice catch, good job out there.

michaelk
07-09-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks. The bite has really slowed down. The algae bloom, the moss, the water temp, the Bluestoning, the lack of oxygen in the water, the super high water level, and the amount of watercraft on the lake, have really taken its toll. Or maybe the fish just moved, somewhere else?

Learning when, where and with what is all part of the fishing game, it just is so boring sitting there, I was getting sick and tired of all the dinks, but that beats nothing.

Michael

Viejo
07-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Nice report. Invest in yourself in January and buy an annual pass. It will pay for it self in a few trips.

seal
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Nice report. Invest in yourself in January and buy an annual pass. It will pay for it self in a few trips.

If you are talking about the Golden Poppy or other state passes you can purchase them any month and they clip your month of purchase so pass is not a Jan. - Dec. type annual pass.