PDA

View Full Version : Stone Canyon Reservoir, Franklin Canyon, any West LA freshwater fishing?

iloveGarick
07-07-2013, 08:55 AM
As my wife and I have been getting more and more into fishing; it just seems that all the places to go fishing are so FAR from West LA. Over the past year or so, we've really enjoyed spending time at both SARL and Corona Lake but have been looking to venture elsewhere. We've also found some fun over at Jackson Lake in Wrightwood or among the small streams up in Frazier Park.

But I was just wondering if there's something closer to West LA? *We've tried Kenneth Hahn, but there's no fish in that tiny little shallow pond. We've also tried Alondra Park and that seems kinda ok.. just a lot of trash around. Have not tried El Dorado Park or MacArthur Park yet but also a bit hesitant.

So I started looking at satellite views of the area from Google Earth. And I found a bunch of "seemingly" open bodies of water on Google Maps, but then not quite so when I switch to Earth. For example:

-the Mt. Olivet reservoir is REAL close to me but it's probably underground as it just looks like a gated off empty field.
-The Water Gardens in Santa Monica? Ha, looks great on a map, but it's a corporate park.
-Venice Reservoir site is NOT a reservoir or body of water
-there looks like a body of water up Chautauqua and Sunset, kinda past Brentwood maybe Bel-Air? But satellite shows it looks empty/paved over.

Places that seem decent?
Stone Canyon Reservoir looks like there's a good body of water up there, I've found conflicting information that no, it's closed off and not open to public but then another site said yes, open to public; just need a fishing license.

Franklin Canyon. The lower part seems decommissioned and paved over, but the upper part looks ok? There's also a "heavenly pond" right there too, but seems like that's more for kids to drop off their pet turtles or goldish they don't want anymore.

Would you happen to have any other recommendations of local or even private lakes? I guess a small pond within an apartment complex? We do see those storm channels that run through the city to the ocean and there's a lot of bike paths that run along it.. is that what people say is the LA River? The water only goes about a foot or two deep though and it doesn't look like there's any fish in there. But then someone else told me that wherever there's open water, there should be fish? Would that be safe to eat though? The water through the run-off drains seems kinda gross to me.

(As for gaining access, I read that recent thread about poachers at Canyon Lake and then I've also read about how Lake Arrowhead is also private. So I thought to myself, well.. if all the local residents have access, why not just make friends and see if someone will let you fish there? Once you know the location, just send a lot of very nice letters to the people who live there and see if they might let you walk across their backyard to go fish the lake. I do still believe in the goodness of people's hearts and I don't think it's that big of a deal to let someone fish in your backyard. Of course I also believe in reciprocity and would see what I could offer in return as well.)

Any thoughts?

carpanglerdude
07-07-2013, 09:51 AM
........So I started looking at satellite views of the area from Google Earth. And I found a bunch of "seemingly" open bodies of water on Google Maps, but then not quite so when I switch to Earth. For example:

-the Mt. Olivet reservoir is REAL close to me but it's probably underground as it just looks like a gated off empty field.
-The Water Gardens in Santa Monica? Ha, looks great on a map, but it's a corporate park.
-Venice Reservoir site is NOT a reservoir or body of water
-there looks like a body of water up Chautauqua and Sunset, kinda past Brentwood maybe Bel-Air? But satellite shows it looks empty/paved over.

......Would you happen to have any other recommendations of local or even private lakes? I guess a small pond within an apartment complex? We do see those storm channels that run through the city to the ocean and there's a lot of bike paths that run along it.. is that what people say is the LA River? The water only goes about a foot or two deep though and it doesn't look like there's any fish in there. But then someone else told me that wherever there's open water, there should be fish? Would that be safe to eat though? The water through the run-off drains seems kinda gross to me.

(As for gaining access, I read that recent thread about poachers at Canyon Lake and then I've also read about how Lake Arrowhead is also private. So I thought to myself, well.. if all the local residents have access, why not just make friends and see if someone will let you fish there? Once you know the location, just send a lot of very nice letters to the people who live there and see if they might let you walk across their backyard to go fish the lake. I do still believe in the goodness of people's hearts and I don't think it's that big of a deal to let someone fish in your backyard. Of course I also believe in reciprocity and would see what I could offer in return as well.)

Any thoughts?

Yes, the water in most urban ponds, drainage channels and the LA River will be quite dirty and I would not suggest eating anything out of those spots. However, even some of the dirtiest urban concrete ditches often hold fish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPWgjOHGxCU)-you just need to find the ones with year-round water. Google Earth with Historical View is your friend. Get out there, do a lot of driving, and prepare to run into plenty of disappointment when searching for new spots, it happens. However, when what I term the 'trifecta', it will all pay off (Has year-round water, has fish, and access where you won't get arrested!). The LA river has a lot of quality carp fishing, some sunfish and bass too.

It's really tough to get access to the private lakes through just asking people. Your best bet is to fish a lot at local parks, go to as many fishing shows as possible, make friends with as many local anglers as possible. Chances are you will encounter people who do have access and are happy to bring you along.

If you don't mind ticks and poison oak, there are countless small streams in LA mountains where you can find tiny trout to catch. If you are into ninja fishing, there are plenty of golf courses and water reservoirs in your area. Finally, have you thought about hitting the salt? There is a lot of saltwater fishing that might be of interest to you as well...
Good luck and tight lines!

iloveGarick
07-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Yes, the water in most urban ponds, drainage channels and the LA River will be quite dirty and I would not suggest eating anything out of those spots. However, even some of the dirtiest urban concrete ditches often hold fish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPWgjOHGxCU)-you just need to find the ones with year-round water. Google Earth with Historical View is your friend. Get out there, do a lot of driving, and prepare to run into plenty of disappointment when searching for new spots, it happens. However, when what I term the 'trifecta', it will all pay off (Has year-round water, has fish, and access where you won't get arrested!). The LA river has a lot of quality carp fishing, some sunfish and bass too.

It's really tough to get access to the private lakes through just asking people. Your best bet is to fish a lot at local parks, go to as many fishing shows as possible, make friends with as many local anglers as possible. Chances are you will encounter people who do have access and are happy to bring you along.

If you don't mind ticks and poison oak, there are countless small streams in LA mountains where you can find tiny trout to catch. If you are into ninja fishing, there are plenty of golf courses and water reservoirs in your area. Finally, have you thought about hitting the salt? There is a lot of saltwater fishing that might be of interest to you as well...
Good luck and tight lines!

Thanks man. We do try to talk to people whenever we go out. I met some old guy this weekend at Alondra Park who told me all about different city lakes and places to fish. One of the places he suggested was this channel near Playa Vista/Marina Del Rey. I guess that's where storm channel runoff meets the ocean so it's kinda mixed salinity? We gave it a shot (with no luck unfortunately) and then my wife saw a sign that warned about the different species not to eat. Oh hmm.. well, if those species are contaminated, wouldn't it reason that ALL of the local fish in the same area might also be affected? Just in lower doses of what some other "scientists" have determined as "safe". But is there ANY safe level of mercury, ddt, or pcb's? I guess if we want to eat any of the saltwater fish, then we might should head up towards Malibu? Or south past Seal Beach? We have NO idea about saltwater.. techniques, line, lure, rigs; a whole new world to explore.

I did hear about Malibu Creek as well. But then there was a Youtube video about endangered steelhead trout there and I'm not sure I'd care to risk harming any of them. As well, one of my business partners told me that people just dump all kinds of stuff in there.

As we do more and more research..

1. I guess I'm finding out that there's not really anything such as "wild" fish to be found anywhere within a 2hr drive.
2. Most anything that is worth catching and consuming should be farmed and young. The older a fish is, the more chance it has to pick up contaminants and heavy metals.
3. As a beginner, there are really just two kinds of fish to go for.. catfish from end of Spring through Fall when it's hot. trout from Fall/Winter into Spring while its cold. Sometimes you pick up some kind of random small fish. (I think the one with a dot on the side is a bluegill? I've also heard of crappie and I'm just not a fan of tilapia.)
Trespassing fines can be up to 6mths in jail and $1000fine. Poaching fines can also run from $1000 to $40,000. (is there any fishing that's worth $1-$40k?)

*and oh yeah, the old guy I met mentioned that he was a vet and had access to Lake Norconian. You're right, we'll just keep meeting and talking to people as we get out there, thanks!