PDA

View Full Version : 7/6 Stripers with Lulu & Fishinone

DMS
07-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Catching up with Ron and found out his truck was down, so he joined Lulu and I for some taco sized striper tugging. Second in line and when they opened the gate, 8 vehicles ran in front, but they not only cut off the line, they cut in front of the workers who waited until opening the pay gate to turn them to the end of the line! Its a good day already! Bassfan was a few rigs back too.

Quickly launched and ran out to look for some nicer units. Fishinone and I compared notes on some of the spots we have been working and picked away at the taco sized quarry as we worked a few areas. Found a few nice schools, but they were picky, and short striking and after a while had 10 or so on the boat. After a while, they wanted to play and we got them going pretty good and finished our last 20, plus some throw backs, mostly off of a single school. We ended up skipping the rod holders as they really got going!

So, we had 2 triples and a number of doubles... probably 4 or 5 if you count the couple times that #2 dropped off at the boat. No worries as we had 30 stripers swimming in the well before 11:30 and about 6 or 8 throwbacks. It was getting hot as well so, broke out the ice and called in bassfan to finish the pummeling of the jailbird tacos.

It was a great day with the best wife and a good friend. The weather was great, nice, but just a bit of a cool breeze. We saw some cool birds and an ol' coyote and pulled on many fish. It was a lot of fun having Ron out and he had a great time too!

At the launch ramp, I had to wait on a guy who believed he had to have is boat tied to the dock before he could unclip it from the trailer. Dude also lowered his prop, as you are supposed to do, but only lowered it 2 inches before cranking. I could see if he forgot, but he remembered and didn't get it wet. He untied before starting then almost lost the boat, then tied it back. He was using overhand knots on the line. He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder about it all too!

Anyway, I also had a big cork chip out of my loomis trolling rod. Does anyone have a good fix for cork problems? Or just a recork or????

Not much a a great photo as there were too many fish to stack on my board and too many for a good cooler shot, so I did a double cooler shot.

DMS

#1 Bass Acer
07-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Nice work guys loos like u guys had a blast out there

cutbait
07-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Glad to see bite back. Or at least the school found.

Elmer's or Krazy glue will work fine.

I would use krazy glue and not think twice

DMS
07-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Glad to see bite back. Or at least the school found.

Elmer's or Krazy glue will work fine.

I would use krazy glue and not think twice

I couldn't find the broken cork parts... Looked for them, but I think the voracious stripers must have eaten them...

cutbait
07-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I would consider Bondo?

If it looks hideous wrap it?

fishinone
07-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Thank you for inviting me along today. Without my truck, I was shore bound. I enjoyed talking with you and Lulu and getting to know you better.

It was interesting that you pulled the unopened package of the secret color bodies out of your hold. I guess you'll be using those after today.

All that I would add to the report is that we saw a small boil as we approached our first spot in the morning. They went down before we got there but it sure got my heart going, first thing in the morning.

Thank you both.

Hardcor
07-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I know you and LuLu always seem to kill them, but it seems the fish have been chasing Ron lately ! Very nice day ! Thank you for the report ! Secret colored bodies Hmmmmmm !

fishinone
07-06-2013, 09:51 PM
I know you and LuLu always seem to kill them, but it seems the fish have been chasing Ron lately ! Very nice day ! Thank you for the report ! Secret colored bodies Hmmmmmm !

My boat caught 30 yesterday too but I didn't post. I buy enough of some new color for a test rig whenever I get bodies. I found a cookie that works.

You wouldn't say they follow me, if you knew how far we went to get them.

dragonfly
07-07-2013, 01:17 AM
nice. u can put shrink grip over the cork

trail blazer
07-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Niceeeeeeeeeee.

WTG Guys and gals!

cutbait
07-07-2013, 06:15 AM
nice. u can put shrink grip over the cork

That's what I was referring to when I sugged wrap it. Cool stuff.

Only issue is the missing cork. You will need to fill it. I sugged Bondo, but second guessing that. Maybe just wood filler? If you do get the solvent based filler not the water based.

Still think Bondo would be stronger but Filler simpler to deal with

fishinone
07-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Someone who builds rods shock be able to replace the cork and make it look good. Then you cook wrap it Thu protect it from the rod holders.

cutbait
07-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Someone who builds rods shock be able to replace the cork and make it look good. Then you cook wrap it Thu protect it from the rod holders.

No doubt. Heck DMS could do it himself?

Remove the remaining cork and buy the component cork off JannsNetcraft or another rod building site and epoxy the new one back on.

DMS has options and that's a good thang

TroutOnly
07-07-2013, 10:18 AM
dan if we keep killing the little ones sooner or later they will all be gone ,then only the big ones will be left for us to kill,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,you can patch or plug the cork then put the shrink wrap on and never know the difference,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,

Hardcor
07-07-2013, 10:30 AM
dan if we keep killing the little ones sooner or later they will all be gone ,then only the big ones will be left for us to kill,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,you can patch or plug the cork then put the shrink wrap on and never know the difference,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,
Or send it to Loomis ! They have never charged me once to fix my rods ! Sometimes they send me a new rod !

cutbait
07-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Or send it to Loomis ! They have never charged me once to fix my rods ! Sometimes they send me a new rod !

Hey Corey, Bob has a rod for you I hear!

Hardcor
07-07-2013, 03:12 PM

http://youtu.be/IXZ_U2c7zlc

DMS
07-07-2013, 03:39 PM
LOL Rod... Didn't mean to start that lovely exchange... Rod... funny that I am such a fish nut (don't start up on the nut reference now) that I will take the rod to Fishin' Fools to patch up the cork and to make sure I'm not down if it takes them a week or so to get to it, I'll buy a third (backup) trolling rod and I need that Shimano reel to match it. That Shimano/Loomis rig is not cheap. I think this will be a good excuse to get a backup. If I was sensible, I would just drop the reel on one of my light ocean rods for a couple weeks, but I think I need a backup rig. Yes, I admit it, I am a Tackle Ho.

Hardcor
07-07-2013, 04:50 PM

Sorry for cutbait jacking your thread DMS !

http://youtu.be/QBwKv0G3gCI

fishinone
07-08-2013, 06:50 AM
LOL Rod... Didn't mean to start that lovely exchange... Rod... funny that I am such a fish nut (don't start up on the nut reference now) that I will take the rod to Fishin' Fools to patch up the cork and to make sure I'm not down if it takes them a week or so to get to it, I'll buy a third (backup) trolling rod and I need that Shimano reel to match it. That Shimano/Loomis rig is not cheap. I think this will be a good excuse to get a backup. If I was sensible, I would just drop the reel on one of my light ocean rods for a couple weeks, but I think I need a backup rig. Yes, I admit it, I am a Tackle Ho.

This is a good plan but it will work with the send it to Loomis idea without precluding the possibility of recieving a newrod as a replacement.

Hardcor
07-08-2013, 09:36 AM

http://youtu.be/vtfDD3J56bY

DMS
07-08-2013, 10:47 AM
This is a good plan but it will work with the send it to Loomis idea without precluding the possibility of recieving a newrod as a replacement.

Not loving the idea of sending it back for such a minor issue. The rod is less than one year old and is fine but for a bit of cork. Don't want to abuse the warranty priviledge. Also, there are some circumstances that Loomis will charge a fee for the turnaround (usually if the breakage might be not from defects or ordinary wear). I also think I have to deal with postage. I will talk to Stu at Fishin' Fools on getting a good inexpensive fix or sending back and maybe justifying my brand new trolling backup rig!

MikesOcean
07-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Good job out there guys on the consistency!

I say any excuse for extra equipment to jump on it. Haha.

I like having 3 when I go out!

fishinone
07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Not loving the idea of sending it back for such a minor issue. The rod is less than one year old and is fine but for a bit of cork. Don't want to abuse the warranty priviledge. Also, there are some circumstances that Loomis will charge a fee for their turnaround (usually if the breakage might be not from defects or ordinary wear). I also think I have to deal with postage. I will talk to Stu at Fishin' Fools on getting a good inexpensive fix or sending back and maybe justifying my brand new trolling backup rig!

Make sure any mod or repair doesn't void your warranty.

Good job out there guys on the consistency!

I say any excuse for extra equipment to jump on it. Haha.

I like having 3 when I go out!

Any extra space in my garage would make this a workable plan.

DMS
07-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Fish n fools is going to do a cork patch. I will have to make sure we watch a bit closer when pulling the rods so many times out of the drift master rod holders from all the fish we are catching. I also got another loomis shimono trolling rod combo to make 3 and for a backup. So it is a win win for all except mr striper

fishinone
07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Fish n fools is going to do a cork patch. I will have to make sure we watch a bit closer when pulling the rods so many times out of the drift master rod holders from all the fish we are catching. I also got another loomis shimono trolling rod combo to make 3 and for a backup. So it is a win win for all except mr striper

Well, I hope it wasn't me but I could have been. I'm rabid about getting rods out of the holders.

Mr Stripie is going to have too many choices! LOL

DMS
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Well, I hope it wasn't me but I could have been. I'm rabid about getting rods out of the holders.

Mr Stripie is going to have too many choices! LOL

Not a problem at all. They are a bit tricky!