PDA

View Full Version : Caught a perch! and maybe a sierra grand slam?

DC5fishR
07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Well, I fished Gull and caught my first Sacramento perch...actually, I got a bunch of them all along the lake. They were pretty small, but it was fun catching them on a mini jig, mostly the sierra slammers grasshopper color, I think. Thanks to some of the intel from this site. Also, I believe I got a sierra grand slam or it least a minor league grand slam since I caught perch, brookies, browns, and of course rainbows on this trip. I didn't take any pics of the brookies, just the typical 8-10in colorful variety.

We stayed in Mammoth this past weekend, and I shore fished George and tubed Mamie, Convict, Little V, Gull, and Big V. George and Mamie were pretty slow with small rainbows and a brown. Convict was decent, but I didn't land as much as I would have liked... in the end a pearl mini jig was producing. Gull and the Virginias on the other hand were pretty hot, especially the Vs. Water temps were hot.. in the mid 60s, but the trout and perch were active and bitting. It was cool finding a honey hole in big v, it wasn't where I would expect a massive school..but the fish were there and it was wide open...fish finder did its job. About half the rainbows looked like they were holdovers or wild since there snouts were long and not blunt like typical stockers. But I don't know, maybe someone can chime in? Best producers at these three lakes were natural colored jigs and mice tails. Well, it was about a 900 mile drive in a long weekend with one of the gas fill ups at $5.19 per gallon for premium :EyePop: , but totally worth it...can't complain, it was the SIERRAS on top of plenty of fish and variety!

zzzfish
07-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the report. I didn't even know that Gull has perch in it.

seal
07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Yes minor league grand slam at best, you needed the Golden to truly get a slam and not just a rainbow/golden cross. Those perch in Gull really are small but they will keep you busy on the backside of the lake fly fishing.

Sounds like a great trip congrats!

DC5fishR
07-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the report. I didn't even know that Gull has perch in it.

Yeah, I've read they were there, but was totally stoked when the first one hit, I was more excited about catching it then a trout at least double it's size. :Rolls Eyes:

Yes minor league grand slam at best, you needed the Golden to truly get a slam and not just a rainbow/golden cross. Those perch in Gull really are small but they will keep you busy on the backside of the lake fly fishing.

Sounds like a great trip congrats!

Aww man, I guess I didn't get the "seal" of approval.

seal
07-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I've read they were there, but was totally stoked when the first one hit, I was more excited about catching it then a trout at least double it's size. :Rolls Eyes:

Aww man, I guess I didn't get the "seal" of approval.

Oh heck no you get my approval! Just a snob fly fisherman ya know how we are.

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
07-08-2013, 11:44 AM
great job ! looks like you had a great trip. glad to see that

City Dad
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes minor league grand slam at best, you needed the Golden to truly get a slam and not just a rainbow/golden cross...

I've always thought it was brown, rainbow, brookie, and golden in a 24 hr period for the "real" slam. (I've heard cutthroat mixed in there once before, but I doubt this is common doctrine.)

Slam or not, nice fish, man. Musta been fun!

seal
07-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I've always thought it was brown, rainbow, brookie, and golden in a 24 hr period for the "real" slam. (I've heard cutthroat mixed in there once before, but I doubt this is common doctrine.)

Slam or not, nice fish, man. Musta been fun!

You are correct. I didn't even notice that discrepancy, so I take back my Seal of approval, lol.

Bobber Boy
07-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice fish and report!