PDA

View Full Version : GVL vs. BBL report

Troutin Man
06-30-2013, 09:49 PM
My buddy went to GVL and BBL this weekend. He said gvl was slow and the one trout he caught was a dinker (8 inches?), and he fished half the day. He said most people did not catch and a few did. So he left gvl and drove and hit up BBL like I did last weekend.

At BBL he caught a ton in Papoose Bay with a boat and near white buoy line from shore. He was most successful around 8-15 feet down using lures in Papoose and slip bobbers near the bouy line with nightcrawlers and different colored powerbait. For lures, he used mostly kastmasters (solid gold and solid silver) and thomas buoyants (silver with polka dot pattern and copper with polka dot pattern). He said others were catching too. He said he must have released about 15 and kept 10 for the two days he was there. He also said he fished near the red house and the trout were hitting on Fire Bait. He caught 3 using firebait in just 1 hour. He also used a 5 foot leader like a did last week.

Sounds like BBL is still hot! I always encourage people to fish BBL because its just the best! Nothing like a beautiful lake with trout pullin' on your line!

Anyone else have a report on BBL? It would be nice to read other anglers' experiences with BBL.

Troutin Man
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Anyone have a report on BBL? I am thinking about taking a friend up there this weekend. There's got to be some 411 out there???

I do my best to report when I have success or failures to help others out so they are best informed when making decisions where and how to fish. Let's share the info!

Why do mice tails not work at BBL? Never had success there using these. Any theories?

The Fishing Queen
07-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the report! Green Valley Lake is pretty. I went there last summer with a friend. Fishing wasn't too good, a lot of people got skunked. My friend caught two small ones, I only had one nice trout, but had a blast with panfish and juvenile bass. I did see some decent sized trout swimming and I've heard that people caught monster fish like bass or trout from there in the past.

Who knows what's going on these days. It’s sad if they charge fees and stock some small trout like DFW's stockers. I hope they are not like DFW. Many county lakes used to get 1500lb per stock. Now they only put 500lbs in per stock. We don't get quality fish with their budget cuts, yet the fees go up. I guess that's the reason why they've been stocking small trout increasing the quantity, lower the quality.

Troutin Man
07-04-2013, 04:39 PM
I agree with the lack of quality in stocking. I have seen in reports and updates that people do catch 3 or 4 pounders at GVL. They stock with Jess Ranch also. However, they don't stock in the 1000 to 2000 ponds anymore. We're suppose to get excited about 700 pounds and pay 15 bucks...drive up the mountain and pay steep gas prices now? What's up with that GVL? Doesn't seem right that 700 pounds and dfw 500 pounds would satisfy all those anglers up there. No thanks. BBL and L Gregory rock it...a lot more space, beautiful and trout galore.

8 inch size trout is West Fork size! I will probably hit up BBL and/or West Fork this weekend. I am looking forward to it. That bubble and fly method you tutored me on Alice is working great for me with panfish and trout. One day I will shoot for the tenkara rod!

blueyaker
07-05-2013, 01:44 AM
GVL will stock 13,000 pounds of rainbow trout from Jess Ranch this summer season from May (2nd week) - September (Labor Day) and also receive approximately 2,500 pounds from DFG. During that four months, the lake will see an average of 3,250 pounds per month from Jess Ranch. The lake used to get stocked with 2,000 pounds of rainbow trout all at one time, maybe an occasional second stock. The lake is actually stocking more fish than before and GVL is still able to keep the price of fishing at $15 even though the costs for stocking increased due to fuel and fish feed costs. Generally, the lake is receiving stocks of 500 - 700 pounds weekly, not for the month. Jess Ranch is providing fish in the solid 1lb - 5lb range this year with an occasional trophy fish at 6lb+. The lake received 1,400 pounds from Jess Ranch on July 3rd and another load from DFG the day before that.