PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my project 14 ft Livingston Skiff

dorado13
06-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Bought a 14 ft Livingston Skiff it's a turn key ready to fish. I want to transform it to fish inshore so I need advice on a GPS, Fish finder, and CB (looking to buy used). I am getting a center console, remote steering, bigger outboard and I am going to use the 9.9 as a kicker. So I want to mount all electronics on the center console. Also need advice on a pump for the 15 gallon bait tank I am making. Here is a pic of how I got it home from WA ST. 1257 miles where I bought it. Thanks in advance for all the help!4170441703

TRDEXPERT
07-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Check out iboats.com for questions like that. I get the best technical advice on that site.

EL JEFE
07-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Check out Bloodydecks.com. Do a search under Boats for Sale for Livingston and you will find one that was for sale locally. It was totally tricked out for local inshore fishing. You should be able to get some great ideas for the items you want to add and do. Livingstons are cool little boats!!

dixoncider
07-07-2013, 08:59 AM
skip the CB and get a marine radio..

Stalker Of Fish
07-10-2013, 10:47 AM
skip the CB and get a marine radio..

The marine radio is good for emergencies but maybe he wants to just talk with friends and family ! A C.B. being an H.F. (High Frequency) radio actually will comunicate much further than a VHF or UHF radio. I would not rely on a C.B. to make emergency calls because there just is not that many people using them anymore except for Truckers of course! Also skip rolling in during daylight hours from across the country can obscure local communications unless you use an amplifier which is illegal (Hee Hee)!

I suggest getting a Ham Radio license the radios work on the. marine bands and give you access to mountain top repeaters
that extend there range considerably . You can also talk to your licensed family members and friends point to point .
The Technician license is an easy 35 question test that many 10 year olds have passed .
I have been a licensed radio operator for many years so P.M. me if you need or want more information .
Ham radios by the way often work in places cell phones do not cover like in the mountains!

DockRat
07-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Ham radio on a 14' boat ? Sounds like heat is affecting someone ?
As Dixoncider said get a marine radio. Your cell phone will work in most areas inshore.
Try to get a fixed mount with a antenna, Handhelds kinda suck and the range is not very good. You need height on the ocean for reception. Say your boat stalls next to a high breakwall in the fog. Drop anchor, that is a situation where you need a tall antenna.

Call this old man, he has 4 garages full of boat stuff in San Pedro. I bought a marine radio off him for $20 and have it mounted on my boat for 4 years now.
310 892 2341

jerryG
07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
You need to be able to reach the Coast Guard immediately should you run in trouble.. A VHF marine radio is a must.. On boards have great range but if the boat ever sinks a waterproof floating handheld could prove to be a real lifesaver. I have an onboard radio and I take handheld on my boat.

one long cast
08-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Sounds like your going to over load the boat with way to much gear. New bigger motor, plus keep the older hvy'r one for a kicker???? Large bucket for bait and a pump, how many gallons will the bucket hold remember 7.89 lbs per gallon, fish finder and radio means battery and that will mean a marine batt. 30+lbs. placed front or rear. inshore where???? diego laguna dana long beach newport huntington beach up north use a cell phone and put in a 12 volt recep. for aa charger. Now how many people are you taking along with you 1 or, 2 ice boxes, gas tanks????

Jig-Guy
08-25-2013, 03:33 PM
X2 one long cast. Do not overload your boat with weight. What weight is the boat rated for? Is there a tag (name plate) on the boat from when it was manufacture that tell you the boat HP rating and weight specifications for this boat. Be Safe.