PDA

View Full Version : Launch Ramp Follies

DMS
06-30-2013, 11:27 AM
I was thinking about the zoo that seems to be at launch, usually when I am pulling out, and wondering what other stories that might be out there. I have seen 2 guys launch very large, expensive boats without the drain plug and almost sink their boat in the last few months. Seems like most of the folks launching between 11 and 3 (usually when I am trying to leave) are clueless, lost, have a big group of family/friends, don't know how to back their rig, don't know how to tie up or otherwise simply have never taken the time to learn any boating skills before getting a large, powerful boat.

Of course it scares me on the water, but it can be a bit funny (in a sad way) when they get situations...

I don't mean the type of thing when a normal problem happens. Everyone can have a mechanical problem or something of the like, and I don't want to be mean, but any good stories of guys dumping their rigs, sinking their boats, losing their boat, etc...

In the meantime, I'm going over to YouTube to watch some of these type videos.

DMS

drifter023
06-30-2013, 01:31 PM
DMS, should have been at silverwood yesterday we get there when it opens and try to leave between 12 and 2 only live 35 min. from the lake. waiting for a open lane to back trailer down can take awhile when people are loading there boat on the launch ramp plus there friends pull there car up on the ramp to unload more stuff blocking three lanes.:mad: But at least I got to boat and get a few fish welcome to So.Cal we were at Havasu few weeks back if you have not seen the launch action there you haven't seen nothing yet.:Shocked:

CraigH
07-01-2013, 09:49 AM
The best one I ever saw was many years ago at the Big Bear East ramp. 2 guys had a sailboat with a large, retractable keel that was supposed to be moved to the up position before putting the boat back on the trailer. They forgot to retract the keel, put the boat on the trailer, and pulled up the ramp fast enough to dig the keel into the ramp and lift the boat off the trailer a little. They were blocking the ramp while they tried to figure out what to do.

flytyingreloader
07-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I strive to do my boating and fishing on weekdays, largely to avoid the detailed stupidity extant at launch ramps. I agree on the Core Hours To Avoid idea--11 A.M. to 3 P.M. How some of those people keep themselves fed and pay their bills on time is a mystery from the dawn of time to me.

WARRIORMIKE
07-03-2013, 12:27 PM
LOL

Mead and Havasu are very entertaining lakes to watch these type of follies............

drifter023
07-03-2013, 04:12 PM
LOL

Mead and Havasu are very entertaining lakes to watch these type of follies............

Oh yea Havasu marina ramp use to have a web cam but I think they took it off was Great.