PDA

View Full Version : Im new to catfishing

Matt22
06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Im planing to fish at guasti for catfish i Have never fished for catfish and i was wondering i could get and tip on the rigs i should use or bait

quix
06-27-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm no expert, but I can give you the advice I've gotten.

Baits - cut sardines, anchovies, mackerel. Chicken or beef liver.
Line - since you're fishing for stocked cats, they're not going to be outrageously big. I usually use 8-12lb mono depending on the rod. Medium to medium heavy.

Don't bother with lures or anything artificial. They follow scent and love stinky things.

Fly line the baits. If the water is deep, add a couple of split shots to drop your bait down to the bottom. They stay down there... especially on hot sunny days.

Loosen your drag. Let the fish take off with the bait a little before you set the hook. If they feel resistance, they spit it out.

Once you bring the fish out of the water, handle with care. Don't put your hand anywhere in its mouth. Don't touch the fins, they will pierce your skin and it hurts like a mother.

Good luck and enjoy! That's all I know.

Matt22
06-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks i have a 4 lb line you think that would be fine

angelsfan951
06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks i have a 4 lb line you think that would be fine

for guasti i think 4 lb would be a fun fight. i sometimes take my UL rods and reels when fishing local parks and its definitely a fun fight just take ur time and dont try to force them in or u will snap ur line. Or if you want to be safer put on some 6 to 8lb line and you should be good. for baits quix nailed it. if that doesnt work add some stink bait to it. i usually use hogwild but every1 prefers their own. also if the fish are farther out i like to use a carolina rig with a 1/8oz sinker just to get out the bait. good luck out there

quix
06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Yes, like angelsfan said, it's a fun fight. Just let the fish tire out and don't just reel it in like crazy or it'll snap. Nothing like hearing your reel scream with the fish taking off lol. You'll also need to net it with line that light if the fish is big. Just a few months ago I pulled out a 6lb largemouth bass on a 2lb line and #10 mosquito hook fishing for trout lol

Matt22
06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys ima go out there later on hopefull i dont get :Skunk:

etucker1959
06-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys ima go out there later on hopefull i dont get :Skunk:

Guasti is a very good catfish lake. Last year I didn't fish it at all because DFG stocked all summer long in my local ponds. This summer it looks like the DFG has some major stocking issues. aka (No Money) If that is the case Guasti is my back up lake. Two and three summers ago I blew the lights out of that place. I only say that, because any tips I give are from my own experience and not general catfish behavioral knowledge. First thing first, they do charge a fishing fee and a parking fee. I haven't checked this year's fee yet, but you better have a $20 bill handy this year on the weekends for the first guy, then $8 bucks for any additional fishing friends. You might get some change back from the first guy but for sure not on the second person. Weekdays are slightly cheaper on the parking fees. They usually stock on Thursday about noon. The big problem with Guasti is the hours 7:30 am- 5:00 pm or so. Bait is the standard stuff, Shrimp, M/M, Mack, N/C or Chicken Livers on Carolina rigs for the average fisherman. Well I'm not your average fisherman, I like to do things a little different. 3 years ago I went about 10 times and outfished every fisherman in the lake every time I went. 2 years ago was boom or bust, I would catch 3-4 or 30-50.(all C&R) The big difference was they changed their stocking location, everyone knew where they were going to stock and would jam all the good places. My friend Bruce went to Guasti two weeks ago and caught 7-8 and missed a bunch. That doesn't sound like much but he got there at 1:00 pm and fished for just a few hours. Sorry for rambling so much, I just love to talk about park catfishing. Now for some secret tips, the above mentioned baits do work quite well. One of the problem is everyone is doing the same thing, so if the bite slows down try this. Garlic Chuncky Cheese Power Bait, yep those catfish love it and my favorite all time rig (meal worms on a slip bobber) If the DFG doesn't get their act together by the week of the 4th of July, count on seeing me down there every week till the DFG starts stocking my local ponds again with catfish. Any more questions don't be afraid to ask, I love answering questions.

Matt22
06-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks i didnt get skunked mackerl and night crawlers worked

quix
06-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks i didnt get skunked mackerl and night crawlers worked

Awesome job! Glad to hear it.

catfishkid1
06-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Where is the garlic chunky cheese sold?