PDA

View Full Version : CAST NET- Legal or Not

Piss on Myspace
06-26-2013, 10:12 PM
What up FNN? I just got a new job that allows me to travel the country on a fairly regular basis. My goal is to catch a fish in every state I travel to lol. Last week I was in Kemah, Texas and I purchased a cast net and a small frabill bait tank. I validated the purchase by catching my 1st Alligator Gar, a couple drums and a few cats. I will be down in San Diego this Friday, staying at Campland on the bay; which is near mission bay. I am no means a salt guy, but I’ve had luck before using a double dropper loop fishing squid. Im looking forward to hitting this spot but I do have a few questions. 1st and MOST IMPORTANT is the legality of the cast net? 2nd, if it is illegal (which I believe it is), is there anywhere I can purchase bait fish down there besides the barges? And lastly, would you even bother with the live bait or just run a double dropper loop? …and maybe one more, is there any other setups that you’d recommend while I’m chucking out the artificials? Thanks again for the info FNN!!

Cheers,
-Dave

Cadillyak
06-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Cast nets in Cali are a no no. Unless u want a hefty fine!

zzzfish
06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Agreeed with Cadilyak...cast net is illigal in Cali.

You can also throw some plastic or a luckycraft and try to get a barricuda or halibut or bass there.

A W Root Beer
06-27-2013, 05:27 PM
2nd, if it is illegal (which I believe it is), is there anywhere I can purchase bait fish down there besides the barges? And lastly, would you even bother with the live bait or just run a double dropper loop? …and maybe one more, is there any other setups that you’d recommend while I’m chucking out the artificials? Cheers, -Dave 41654

There are two places i know, one is the barge you mentioned, and the second might be the other boat rental place, i think its called Seaforth Market. They rent boats with live tanks.

The bait from guys who don't use all the bait they bought from the barge that get returned on the rentals are put in a live tank on their dock. You probably can buy some from them.

i am not talking about me not using all the live bait, my friends :Popcorn:

DockRat
06-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Cast nets are legal north of Point Conception in the surf.
DR

DockRat
06-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Nice Gar !