PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Castaic with DK and Andrew

vampirebret
06-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Since hearing about the great reports coming from Castaic, I had an itch that had to be scratch. So I searched through my phone and found DK's number. I texted him the invite to join me to troll Castaic and he agreed. Of course, Andrew came along too. 1am Wednesday morning and DK and Andrew arrived at my place. So I hooked up the boat to the car, we gased up and was on the road down south to Castaic Lake. Got to the entrance at 4:30 and was the second car in line but first car with a boat. Gate opened up soon after and we went though the inspection which we passed with flying colors. LOL. So we launched the boat and started trolling. Almost an hour into the troll and the drag goes off. I pick it up to set the hook but reeled in our trolling gears only. Since I was a newbie, I also set the hook when the reel started screaming and that probably had torn the fish's mouth. LOL Newbie mistake. So off we went to troll again. Soon, the drag starts to peel again. This time I got it in and it was a dink. Dink or not, it went right into the livewell. Next was Andrew's turn and when the drag started peeling, he reeled in a green carp. LOL Soon after he was able to get a dink to join mine in the livewell. Trolled and trolled and trolled all day and ended up with 5 fish in the livewell with Andrew's fish being the biggest at 18 1/2 inches. DK came close to putting one in the livewell too but his fish fell by the motor and after a couple flops, it went back in to the water. We trolled all over the lake and had some small hits that we weren't able to land. Lets just say we had more bites than all the 5 fish in the livewell. It was a tough bite today and DK did a great job showing me the tricks of trolling and trying his very best to put me and Andrew on some fish. We ran into a lot of bait balls and bait balls with stripers around them throughout the lake. Too bad they weren't more interested in our setup. Overall, the trip was great and we all had a blast. Oh and I also met Fishinone and the other Ron. LOL Nice meeting you guys.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/bretmoua/20130626_182428_zpsf8034ba0.jpg (http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/bretmoua/media/20130626_182428_zpsf8034ba0.jpg.html)

cutbait
06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the club bret

dk4885
06-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Next time Bret always next time.

vampirebret
06-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks cutbait and yes, next time we will slay them DK

fishinone
06-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Nice seeing you guys out there today.

What time did you leave? I was looking for you.

Double A
06-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Damn lake is on fire one day,
Kinda tough the next.
For sure next time you'll find em.

MikesOcean
06-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Great hard work guys!

IMO beats staying home and watching T.V.

Like DA said, on one day off the next! Strange! Next time you will get them.

I'm due!!!!!

vampirebret
06-27-2013, 05:55 AM
Nice seeing you guys out there today.

What time did you leave? I was looking for you.

We decided to call it a day at 2pm. By that time, there were more lake lice and they kept crossing our trolling path.