PDA

View Full Version : total beginner wants to start fishing, where and what to fish near San Fran?

bob13bob@gmail.com
06-25-2013, 09:50 PM
I've been dropping down the rabbit hole in to fishing. Been doing a ton of youtubing and reading. With so many types of fishing, I'm overwhelmed. I'm looking on guidance on what direction I should go to research further. Also what equipment should i purchase to start?

i’m open to any type that can be cast from the bank/pier: fresh water, river, stream, lake, salt water fishing. Trout, bass, crappie, cat fish?. no boats/kayaks/personal floaters.

I’m looking for something thats
-easy. I would like to catch something, anything. Anything good in July, August? What months fishing are typically best?
-not much $$ investment. just looking to dip my toes here. I’m willing to buy waders, poles, lure, etc.. but not a boat or kayak.
-convenient. closer around SF would be better. Ideally something within 80 min drive. I’m willing to hike or mountain bike out to spots.

I’ve been eyeballing the costco shimano rod + shimano reel setup. I think it was advertised as medium action, the reel can hold 200 yd of 6lb line. Is this a good direction to go?

Caliyak
06-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Bob, you are in a great spot to fish. I recommend that you take a drive to your local bait shops, not the huge sporting good stores, but a small bait shop. Salty Lady, Gus Discount and 88 Fishing Tackle are a few in your area. The owner will guide you in the right direction for your area. They will set you up with basic fishign tackel for your area. From your statements above, you are willing to try it all within reason. I recommend you get on a charter or fishing trip, salt water, to get started with some pros. They can teach you the basics while fishing and getting your hands slimed. If you want freshwater monsters, Clear Lake guides and the Delta guides are your best options for bass and other freshwater hogs. You can't wrong with taking a trip to Bass Pro Shop in Manteca for some info. Hope this helps. Shimano is a great reel. I use Shimano and they are excellent. I'm a huge kayak guy and kayaking in your area is huge, consider it when you are addicted. PM me if you need anymore info.
By the way, welcome to the madness but you will soon be diving in cuz the madness is addicting.

bob13bob@gmail.com
06-26-2013, 10:08 PM
thanks for the response. I'll be fishing on foot/bank/pier only, at least for now. Are there a places around my area I can reliably catch something with research and practice(assuming I get decent)?. All year round, Spring and Fall, etc? Or is hit and miss for decent skilled and versed fisherman? I did some reading on the delta near Sacramento, and it seems many people fish in May and April targeting certain species.

Hometown
06-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Not familiar with the area but like Caliyak said local tackle stores the mom and pop ones no the most info
and if a lure cost .25 cents more than the big stores you still dont get the info that can be had when you devolp a repore with some one

Caliyak
06-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Bob, you are luck that you live in an area that has cool water year round. I live in an area that the water drops to 40-50 degrees in the winter and 90+ in the summer. You might have a smaller gap in water temperature so your fishing is year round. The seasonal fishing comes when the salmon are swimming up stream to spawn. But overall, you can catch year round in your area without worrying a lot about water temp or seasonal fishing. Hometown said it best, develop a good relationship with a local bait shop owner, (by buying their gear) and they will tell you when and where to fish for the hogs. Also, when you go out on a trip, ask the other fishing guys about spots and species. let me warn you, some guys are a-holes about hot spots and some are cool about telling you. Also, some boat guys are a-holes because you are a banker and they are gods on a boat, stupid bastards. And one of the best ways to know your area, is getting out there with your gear and getting dirty and learning. The more time on the water, the more you learn. I promise you that in one year from now you will be an addicted fishing guy with so much knowledge of your area that you will want to share your story with everyone you meet. So, sit down, strap up and enjoy the ride.