PDA

View Full Version : HB surf 6/25 lots of stingrays

Troutketcher
06-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Got to Huntington around 7AM, tide was very low, I'm new to surf fishing so have just been learning the basics. I was out in about knee deep water and kept feeling fish under my feet. I went back and got my polarized sunglasses and over the next few hours of fishing, I must have seen at least 30 stingrays out there, all really close to shore haha not gona lie it kinda deterred me from my plan of fishing out in knee deep to waist deep water. Just ended up fishing from shore and ended up catching 7 small surf perch, was a lot of fun. How do you guys usually deal with conditions like that when you see a lot of stingrays out there? I was thinking of just putting on my shoes and going out in the water but realized they could still probably sting me in the leg if I accidently startled one.

exfactor
06-25-2013, 09:38 PM
just shuffle your feet as you are wading......they probably were batrays, and stinger is at base of tail. Also, fun to catch

one long cast
06-26-2013, 01:10 PM
As Xfactor stated shuffle your feet don't raise them off the sand, takes a little while to get used to. They do not want any part of you and will swim away.

Wingnut
06-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Always wear foot protection. At the very least wear wading sandals and yes, shuffle your feet.
Getting jabbed by a Sting Ray is no fun. :mad:
Wait until a 5 ft + Leopard Shark brushes up against your leg... you will make a warm spot, lol :Pee: :LOL:
Have fun and good luck out there. :Cool:

one long cast
06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Chuckle chuckle Wingnut