PDA

View Full Version : One_Leg fishes Lake Sabrina with MKADADDY

one_leg
09-14-2007, 02:27 PM
MKADADDY, and myself, made the trek up to Bishop for some High Sierra Trouting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgrkFXjLHCM

We spent about a week at Sabrina Lake Campground. We fished at Lake Sabrina, about a half mile from the campgrounds, and in Bishop Creek, which is located just steps away.

The conditions were perfect the entire time of our stay, with nighttime temps hovering around 32 degrees F, and daytime temps in the upper 70's. There were very light breezes, and just a few clouds now and then, to provide a little relief from the intense, high altitude sunshine. Don't forget your sunblock, and wide brimmed hats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XccDVT-b4V0

We spent most of our time trolling a variety of lures, as well as the Dreaded Threaded Crawler. We caught fish trolling on the surface, as well as on the downriggers. The fish spent most of their time just below the thermocline, which was between 5 and 10 feet. Occasionally the fish weren't hitting very hard, resulting in a number of short bites. It helped to keep the rod in your hand, in order to facilitate a quick hookset at these times.
Some larger fish were holding a bit deeper, between 30, and 45 feet.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp3/One_Leg_Downrigging.JPG

I tried many different combinations, including Dave Davis, and Uncle Carl flashers, Crawler Haulers-2 and 5 blade models, as well as Jointed Rainbow Rapalas, and Z-Spoons. I also used a Troll-Eze part of the time, in conjunction with the flashers, when not on the downrigger. I want to thank TroutOnly for his lure recommendation. I caught a bunch of Bows using the Jointed Rainbow Rapalas. Thanks Bob!!! http://troutonly.net/

The first fish of the trip was a Brown Trout I caught, while using a LipRipperZ, Siberian Tiger Z-Spoon, on my third cast. That makes 3 species of fish I've caught using the new Z-Spoons, LMB, Trout, and Redear Sunfish. Thanks Bryan. I'm really looking forward to the larger model Z-Spoons. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSiMIw8kjcA

Mark spent much of his time using his faithful Thomas Bouyant spoons. Rick and Patti also recommended a threaded crawler on a size four, or six, baitholder hook behind a splitshot just above the swivel. All these methods were producing fish, in spite of the fact that the stocking truck had not arrived until the day before we had to leave. There were very few boats on the water which made it easy to troll wherever we wanted to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDLL0aOImOE

We stopped in at Culvers to get some lures, and Mac's for a new pair of Polarized shades.

We went over to Parchers on Tuesday the 11th, and said hello to Jared(Sierra Smitty), And David(Oban). I'm hoping to troll the downriggers for some big Browns on South Lake, and Lake Sabrina, ASAP.
http://parchersresort.net/

I was fortunate enough to meet Tess Anne Morgan, from Bishop Pack Outfitters, and I'm going take her up on her offer to show me the more remote lakes, in the back country, above Bishop. She is a real nice lady, and a lot of fun to talk to. http://www.bishoppackoutfitters.com/
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp3/The_Sierras_near_Bishop.jpg

We spent the next to the last day trolling for the bigger model German Browns between 50 and 100 feet, but unfortunately they didn't come out to play. It's still a little early for the big fish to rise up. I didn't have enough line clips to run more than one line per downrigger, and nobody in town had any either. Come prepared. The fishfinder battery died, and we didn't want to risk damaging the boat, downriggers, or losing any of the gear, so we reverted to fishing the thermocline.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp3/mark9-07.jpg

After the DFG stocked the lake we decided to troll the back part of the lake, in order to let the new arrivals become acclimated to their new surroundings. It just doesn't seem right to target the newly introduced stockers schooling in the marina. At night we saw many Browns in the 2 to 4 pound class, hovering over the dam face in 10 to 15 feet of water. Next time we'll spend more time trying for them during the night time hours.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp3/Sep14_45.JPG

We both caught fish in Bishop Creek beside our campsite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oV1nHah6G4

I want to thank Rick, Patti, Juanita, and Jarodd for the great food, courteous service, and helpful hints. They're the greatest!!!
http://www.lakesabrinaboatlanding.com/index.html

The night before we left we spent a couple hours visiting with everyone, including Sierra Smitty and some of his buddies, who came over for a little Bar-B-Que, and a drink or two.

I was fortunate to be able to stop at the Manzanar National Historic Site. http://www.nps.gov/manz
I was able to see the display created by Cory "Fear No Trout" Shiozaki.
Make some time to visit this wonderful reminder of the fragility of our freedoms. Thanks Cory.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp3/mnznr.JPG

Mark has some Digicam pics that he'll be posting as soon as he is not busy with work, and his family.

Thanks Mark, for making this trip possible. It was the highlight of my summer.
I just wish I had had time to arrange a get together with Carrie. Next time Carrie, for sure.

One_Leg

P.S. I'm gonna have a me a Fillet O' Trout Sammich right now!!!!

barbiegirl
09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Great report! I'm glad you had fun but I'm also glad you are back! :) I can't wait to go there, it looks beautiful!

Wingnut
09-14-2007, 02:41 PM
NICE! So that's where you've been. Thanks for the great report O_L. :thumb:

Oban
09-14-2007, 03:59 PM
And you guys didn't believe me when I said I just shook hands with the legend, One_leg, himself while he was missing.

Great report! Hope to see more pics soon.

Fisher-of-Men
09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Awesome report One_Leg! The video footage was a nice touch. :thumb: I'm glad you were able to get away and enjoy the High Sierras. It sure beats the scenery at Castaic huh?

Looking forward to the rest of the report with the pics. Way to hold us all in suspense. :wink:

Fisher-of-Men

diamondbear
09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
GREAT REPORT OL AND THATS PRETTY COOL WITH THOSE VIDEOS , ive been trying to get up there all summer . looks like perfect weather // db

johnsfishing
09-14-2007, 08:13 PM
cool one_leg! nice job on the trip!!!! :D :D

johnsfishing

Troutman65
09-14-2007, 09:45 PM
O_L , Nice report.

Glad you had a great time.

TM65

Granny Fish
09-14-2007, 10:10 PM
And you guys didn't believe me when I said I just shook hands with the legend, One_leg, himself while he was missing.

Great report! Hope to see more pics soon.

I believed you, Oban. :roll:

Alan - The board wasn't the same without you to stir things up a little.

I loved the videos, especially the one with you stream fishing from a rock in the middle of the water. I was betting on you falling in. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I had to laugh... sorry... but it was funny when your crutch fell in the water and then you had to try and catch it without losing your other crutch and fishing rod with a fish pulling the other end.... Yeah.... I have a sick sense of humor. :lol:

I knew you would have a blast, you should go on a pack trip into the back country. You would really enjoy it. You might never come back!

one_leg
09-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I have a sick sense of humor. :lol:

You and me both, Granny!.. :twisted: ...lol

One_Leg

TroutOnly
09-14-2007, 10:50 PM
I'M GLAD YOU HAD A FUN TRIP IN GODS COUNTRY,,,t/o

sansou
09-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Great pics and video!

I dig the "one_legging" in the middle of the stream!

Dave92706
09-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Really good report One_Leg . I'm heading up there myself in the very near future. It was good to get a first hand report and see your photos.Glad to hear you had a great time. I always do when I'm up at the Bishop Basin. Thanks for the tips on what's working up there too !
Dave02706

troutdog
09-15-2007, 02:06 AM
That is some good stuff right there my friend, an "instant FNN classic" indeed. What an incredible place to spend a week, yeah no joke on the sunscreen, hat AND chapstick. Thanks for the trolling info, you know your stuff in that dept. O_L are you available for guide services come this fall? Congrats on a great trip.

TD

Faulter_Mike
09-15-2007, 07:55 AM
that is by far one of the best fishing reports i have ever seen in my life! thanks for posting that.... i'm gonna try to make it up again this season but if i don't, your report at least satified my sierra hunger until next year. thanks for that bother, really. peace.

Troutoholic
09-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Great report Alan. :thumb: Looks like you had a great time, glad to see you back. :D

dmomofthree
09-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for sharing that great report. I enjoyed every word and video you posted....Looks like a beautiful place to visit and get away.
:thumb:
Stacey

Dodger Doggy
09-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Nice job One Leg! It's "the other Alan"....(I can't recall if Aaron's daughter calls you "Alan #1" or "Alan #2" :) ).....nice job with the fishing and the info! Man, I just love it up there too......glad you got up there!

Did you happen to see Ella and Louis up there or something though? "You say Sa-brine-uh, and I say Sa-breen-uh......tomayto, tomahto, Sa-brine-uh, Sa-breen-uh......"?! (OK.....let's call the whole thing off.) =o) Goofin' with ya. And as a matter of fact I cannot say for certain which way it is......I've just said "Sabeena" for years. You may have to go back up and reshoot all the U-Tube videos with a proper pronounciation though! That'd be terrible, huh?!

Granted OL, we didn't talk that much the one time we met (Legends of the Vine).....but your legend sure showed when you were gone! "Where the heck is One Leg" in about 800 posts! :bigsmile: (I'm not sure if they truly missed you, or if it was one of those "let's have a party at the house while dad's gone" kind of things!)

:lol:

Anyway, welcome back. Glad you had a blast! It's hard not to up there, huh?!

-Dodger Doggy

(And we won a lot while you were gone.......so if we start losing now that you're back, I might have to get a collection going from fellow Dodger fans to send yer butt back up there! Again, truly terrible, right?)

Oban
09-15-2007, 05:00 PM
All the staff and people around Lake Sabrina, South Lake, and Bishop call it Sah-Brine-Uh . So I think One_leg is right :P

Sierra_Smitty
09-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Nice job on the report bro...and it was a pleasure to share a couple beers with you guys before you had to take off. You aren't joking, Rick, Patti, and Jarrod from Sabrina are some of the best folks you could meet...same goes for the Morgans of Bishop Pack. We have a lot of fun up here and it's always nice to see a friendly face from down South up for some Sierra fun. See ya next time buddy!

-Smitty

one_leg
09-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks Barbie, Arthur, David, Fisher-of-Men, DB, John, Faulter_Mike, Russel, Stacey, Alan, David, And Smitty.

I'M GLAD YOU HAD A FUN TRIP IN GODS COUNTRY,,,t/o

Me too, Bob!!!!

Great pics and video!

I dig the "one_legging" in the middle of the stream!

You thought I was gonna fall, didn't you? Admit it....lol

Really good report One_Leg . I'm heading up there myself in the very near future. It was good to get a first hand report and see your photos.Glad to hear you had a great time. I always do when I'm up at the Bishop Basin. Thanks for the tips on what's working up there too !
Dave02706

Dave, I hope you do as well as we did, or better.

O_L are you available for guide services come this fall?
Maybe, if the Dodgers lose the a bunch of games real soon...Ha Ha

Nice job on the report bro...and it was a pleasure to share a couple beers with you guys before you had to take off. You aren't joking, Rick, Patti, and Jarrod from Sabrina are some of the best folks you could meet...same goes for the Morgans of Bishop Pack. We have a lot of fun up here and it's always nice to see a friendly face from down South up for some Sierra fun. See ya next time buddy!

-Smitty

I plan of fishing South Lake before the end of October, if I can get someone to go along.
Maybe we'll do some night fishing for the big ones together?

One_Leg

Carrie
09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
So that is where u been all this time? In my backyard?! haha! U know I work the front desk at Manzanar and all over the site. I can't believe I never saw u there! I kind of sat there dumb founded reading the part about how u visited....lol. I work everyday Mon-Fri at that place so I found that totally baffling.

Anyways, I am glad u got to get out and have fun. Smitty is really nice and it is quite beautiful in that area. Looks like u had a blast..... :D

one_leg
09-16-2007, 08:47 PM
So that is where u been all this time? In my backyard?! haha! U know I work the front desk at Manzanar and all over the site. I can't believe I never saw u there! I kind of sat there dumb founded reading the part about how u visited....lol. I work everyday Mon-Fri at that place so I found that totally baffling.

Anyways, I am glad u got to get out and have fun. Smitty is really nice and it is quite beautiful in that area. Looks like u had a blast..... :D

Carrie, I had so little time, due to time constraints, that I was only able to quickly peruse Cory's display, and I wasn't fortunate enough to have time to see anything outdoors. I guess I'll just have to schedule another trip in order to view the remaining items I didn't get to see this time. It looks like they did a fantastic job on the meuseum. I'm truly sorry that I missed you, and it won't happen again, I promise. Take care of that ankle so we can do a little more dancing together, Ok?

One_Leg

P.S. Here are a couple more pics from last week.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/One_LegandSmitty.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/SmokingaBrownTrout.jpg

Troutman65
09-16-2007, 09:01 PM
O_L , was that Codybug you went fishing with? Hey that TROUT was trying to give you some toung. :lol: :wink: J/k

Troutman65

one_leg
09-16-2007, 09:45 PM
O_L , was that Codybug you went fishing with? Hey that TROUT was trying to give you some toung. :lol: :wink: J/k

Troutman65

No, Codybug had to work. I hope he can make it up there this year.

One_Leg

Beancounter
09-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Great to see you came up to the little place we call Heaven on earth. 8)
Glad the weather was nice for you too.
When we went up to June Lake in early July, it was mid to upper 80's :shock:

Carrie
09-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Well it's okay Alan. I will let it slip just this once...haha! I am used to so many people coming up here and visiting I feel like I could be an official walking guide. Anyways, I know about time constraints. Most people that come thro look like they r in a mad rush....haha! But I have about 3 more months left to work here before I move back down south again. If u r ever up here again I guess I will have to be the official walking guide again....LOL.

one_leg
09-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Well it's okay Alan. I will let it slip just this once...haha! I am used to so many people coming up here and visiting I feel like I could be an official walking guide. Anyways, I know about time constraints. Most people that come thro look like they r in a mad rush....haha! But I have about 3 more months left to work here before I move back down south again. If u r ever up here again I guess I will have to be the official walking guide again....LOL.

If the trip had not been a spur of the moment sort of thing, you better believe I would have made time to see you. I'd be honored to have you show me around Manzanar. I also want to see your humble little abode in Independence. It looks so cute in the pictures you've posted. Kinda like Mayberry RFD. :D

One_Leg

trollmiester
09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Wow just saw this post what a great trip alan.Great videos in gods country. Glad t.o. gave you some pointers.

PONTOON
09-19-2007, 08:15 PM
One_leg, Trolly told me about this post and I can't believe I didn't see it before now. Great post, pics and video!
Now I know where you've been. :lol: :lol:

budman8
09-19-2007, 10:02 PM
One_Leg this is an excellent post!

So thats where you went when everyone was worried about not hearing from you!

And even Me!

I am glad you had a great time! Thats so cool up there!

MOTHER NATURE and FISH!

Budman8

one_leg
09-20-2007, 12:01 PM
One_leg, Trolly told me about this post and I can't believe I didn't see it before now. Great post, pics and video!
Now I know where you've been. :lol: :lol:

You guys were with us in spirit. I thought about you two every day.

Great to see you came up to the little place we call Heaven on earth. 8)
Glad the weather was nice for you too.
When we went up to June Lake in early July, it was mid to upper 80's :shock:

The condidtions could not have been better. Awesome. Except for when my pants froze. :lol:

Thanks for sharing that great report. I enjoyed every word and video you posted....Looks like a beautiful place to visit and get away.
:thumb:
Stacey

Thanks for the kind words, Stacey.

Great report Alan. :thumb: Looks like you had a great time, glad to see you back. :D

Russel, thanks for viewing the report. I don't get up here into the Eastern Sierra Reports section often. :cry:

One_Leg this is an excellent post!
I am glad you had a great time! Thats so cool up there!

Budman8

Budman8, I can hardly wait for the next time. I've got some Golden's waiting to be caught up there.

"You say Sa-brine-uh, and I say Sa-breen-uh......tomayto, tomahto, Sa-brine-uh, Sa-breen-uh......"?! (OK.....let's call the whole thing off.) =o) Goofin' with ya. And as a matter of fact I cannot say for certain which way it is......I've just said "Sabeena" for years. You may have to go back up and reshoot all the U-Tube videos with a proper pronounciation though! That'd be terrible, huh?

I think I'll just stick with Sabrina. It's all I've ever heard it called.
But I might be coaxed into another trip to reshoot the videos if you spring for the cost.

One_Leg

shy_boxer
09-22-2007, 12:23 AM
O_L awesome report and pics. The Videos were cool~!!!! Thanks for the report!

christainmetalhead909
09-22-2007, 05:25 PM
nice report, i like the vids. good job.