PDA

View Full Version : Ocean fishing 101 needed. Help!!!

fishfinder
06-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Taking my son on the Freelance on friday July 19th. I know almost nothing about ocean fishing. We are hoping this trip will be to Catalina. I was wondering what kind of rigs to bring with us. I was thining some 10 lb. bass rods, and some 25 lb tuna rigs. But when it comes to hooks, weights, and jigs, I am lost. I was hoping I could get a good amount of input from you guys, and that would give me a few weeks to get what I needed.

HOOKS..........
WEIGHTS.......
JIGHEADS/JIGS..........
LINE.....................
PLASTICS..............

I was also wondering if there is any spot I should try to be on the boat?

KidTrout
06-24-2013, 10:35 PM
I brink hooks in several different sizes because you never know how big the bait is. I went on Saturday and was using a 3 odd for live squid. If you go to Catalina you won't need big sinkers just a 3/4 ounce. But if you don't go to the island make sure you have weights from 1 ounce up to at least 3 ounce because that current gets strong. If you like to use plastics I usually do good on a watermelon or Christmas tree colored big hammers. I bring 3 poles with 15 lb for the bass and 20 & 25 because you never know if the yellows will start hitting or the cudas. Also make sure to have some irons I do we'll with blue & white and the scrambled egg. Also try and get the back of the boat it's the best spot because the current will take your line straight out and you sometimes avoid more tangles in the back.

Frequent Flyer
06-25-2013, 05:39 PM
1 rod/reel with 15-20 lb
1 rod/reel 25-30 lb
maybe a rod with 40, just in case youre fishing clemente.
Hooks: 2/0 and 3/0 flyliner, then 7/0-8/0 aki twist if youre fishing squid
weights: 1/4-1 ounce sliding sinkers, 4-6 ounce torpedos

As for spots, cast out and see which way the current is pulling your bait then try and fish right in front of it to get your bait as far away as possible

DockRat
06-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Lots of youtube videos.
Keywords 'Yellowtail rigging'
catalina calicos
ect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw-b-3WA4m4

fishfinder
06-25-2013, 06:33 PM
thanks guys. I will check out the vieos when i get home. work blocks youtube. I guess I better know how to tie on the weights and hooks too. kidtrout, they have been catching cudas at catalina, and I remember last time I went out ocean fishing, and they stopped to fish cudas, and the only ones that were catching had the irons. Freq. flyer. the 3/4 boat doesn't go to clemente they told me. i am making a list out of this thread and gonna start buying some hooks and weights this weekend.