PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Fishing In Danger - Your Comments Needed TODAY (6/24/13)

CJO395
06-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Like almost all lawmakers, they threw this proposition out there and gave the public little time to reflect on it. They are going to close off almost the entire Inyo County area to all fishing, hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities in order to set it aside as frog habitat.

Please don't let this happen! Thousands of miles of territory will be off limits to the public. This may be the end of Eastern Sierra fishing as we know it. The towns along the 395, which are already struggling and dependent on the fishing industry, will become ghost towns after this goes through.

Comments needed before the end of the day 6/24/13. Let them know what you think, and please spread the word to EVERYONE who you think might be affected by this.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FWS-R8-ES-2012-0074-0001

Just click "Comment now!"

seal
06-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Done. Thanks for the link.

ChinoPreacher
06-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks! I hope more see this and comment. We need to have our voices heard and stop this madness in California.

seal
06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks! I hope more see this and comment. We need to have our voices heard and stop this madness in California.

I believe this is the Federal government this time. Like Cali. can't screw us bad enough now the Feds. gotta come in and do their thing.

retired96
06-24-2013, 12:48 PM
I have fished every inch of the Sierras since 1958 and I have never ever seen any frogs in my fishing adventures.....This could devastate the communities of the Eastern Sierras..

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
06-24-2013, 06:30 PM
holy moley this blows. can anyone say beggening of new world order

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
edit. people must fight this and will

JSAUCE818
06-25-2013, 05:03 AM
I dont get it. Fisherman bring in so much money, i dont get why they would want to stop that.

pcuser
06-25-2013, 05:37 PM
I dont get it. Fisherman bring in so much money, i dont get why they would want to stop that.

With all due respect, that's not really an argument. The real argument should be are the frogs really threatened by trout or a parasite, as was shown in a recent report in a science journal. I know some here don't much like science, but that's the crux of the issue. The argument of fishing brings in so much money, why stop it is the same one used by pro slavery states in the South prior to the civil war. It's not an argument with any merit...

sierraslam
06-26-2013, 10:49 AM
If you owned a tackle shop along the 395, the issue of money would be the issue. You cannot be serious with your comparison of frogs and slavery?

joetro474
06-26-2013, 11:11 AM
PC user is correct on this issue. I was a little too late to make my comments to the DFW. Thanks for the link anyways.

Its not about the money loss to the community. Our government doesn't care if you lose money. The argument should be based on how does fisherman, campers and other outdoor enthusiast effect the life of these frogs. I think by disallowing our community to venture into lands propose will do nothing to keep them alive longer. The reason for their slow demise is probably due to prey, lack of water and food source. California has tapped a lot of the states water for our lawns, pools and other things. Causing the sierras and other lands to lake proper nutrition for these animals. Thats how i think it needs to be argued. its the landscape that is making them endangered not people.

There are many fisherman like me who don't bother any other species other than the fish and insects when out fishing.

seal
06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Amphibian's are very sensitive animals. If any of you are a little on the older side you will probably remember the abundance of frogs and salamanders when you were growing up that now seemingly are very rare to see in the urban jungles of OC or LA. Those animals have been greatly impacted by something, they coexisted with man for years in the middle of neighborhoods, living in park settings, ditches etc... Why are their numbers so small (in my observations) now? I do not 100% believe in global warming, before I get bashed for that belief I'm not saying it isn't occurring I'm just not sold on the reasoning or the extent being publicized yet. But small changes in weather can have an effect on the more sensitive species, this could also be a contributing factor to the yellow legged frogs they are concerned about, could be parasites, could be disease but the frogs coexisted with trout for many years, NOW IT'S THE TROUT? It is more than obvious this is a continuing goal of the tree hugging society to take away something from sportsmen that they just can't stand, fishing and hunting. It's extremist ideas that our damn government is placating to for votes.

I believe this is going to go the way of the MLPA in fact I think they are using the same stratagem. First they announce huge closures, then after we go nuts yelling and screaming at them they'll minimize the closures considerably and possibly give us the more popular areas to use but still closing a large amount of it. Then after things quiet down a little they'll add more areas, same strategy go for a lot then back off a little.

Marley
06-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Couple of observtions:
1. Several years ago the eastern Sierra had a haze over it. It was reported to be smoke from Siberian forest fires. That's in Russia, folks, and that smoke rode in on the jet stream. If smoke can hitch a ride that far, so can fungi, viruses, and chemicals. We can stop all human intrusion at the bottom end of the Owens Valley and not have one iota of impact on high-elevation amphibians.
2. Water for our lawns and other things is collected far below the frog's habitat. It's collection likely has no impact on the upper elevation watershed unless it's via dust blowing up from diminished stream beds.
3. Jared, what was the outcome of the petition gathering? How was the commenting received/taken? Were we successful in raising awareness, and what is the next step?

HawgZWylde
06-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Amphibian's are very sensitive animals. If any of you are a little on the older side you will probably remember the abundance of frogs and salamanders when you were growing up that now seemingly are very rare to see in the urban jungles of OC or LA. Those animals have been greatly impacted by something, they coexisted with man for years in the middle of neighborhoods, living in park settings, ditches etc... Why are their numbers so small (in my observations) now? I do not 100% believe in global warming, before I get bashed for that belief I'm not saying it isn't occurring I'm just not sold on the reasoning or the extent being publicized yet. But small changes in weather can have an effect on the more sensitive species, this could also be a contributing factor to the yellow legged frogs they are concerned about, could be parasites, could be disease but the frogs coexisted with trout for many years, NOW IT'S THE TROUT? It is more than obvious this is a continuing goal of the tree hugging society to take away something from sportsmen that they just can't stand, fishing and hunting. It's extremist ideas that our damn government is placating to for votes.

I believe this is going to go the way of the MLPA in fact I think they are using the same stratagem. First they announce huge closures, then after we go nuts yelling and screaming at them they'll minimize the closures considerably and possibly give us the more popular areas to use but still closing a large amount of it. Then after things quiet down a little they'll add more areas, same strategy go for a lot then back off a little.

Seal, I don't know why pcuser did not post this link here, he actually posted a thread in the general section some time ago regarding this issue with this link. I re-posted this link on Jared's thread in the Eastern Sierra nor cal general section. This is a fungus that's killing the frogs, and probably the toads and frogs elsewhere;

http://www.livescience.com/19902-frog-fungus-dehydration.html

pcuser
06-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Seal, I don't know why pcuser did not post this link here, he actually posted a thread in the general section some time ago regarding this issue with this link. I re-posted this link on Jared's thread in the Eastern Sierra nor cal general section. This is a fungus that's killing the frogs, and probably the toads and frogs elsewhere;

http://www.livescience.com/19902-frog-fungus-dehydration.html

The reason I didn't post it here is it had stopped working for me. It appears to be back up...

pcuser
06-29-2013, 07:36 AM
The reason I didn't post it here is it had stopped working for me. It appears to be back up...

The other reason is because some crazy person ridiculed the post and thread. You know how some people are unhinged... I, on the other hand was trying to inject some sane reasoning and new facts to the debate. Funny how that pesky science allows such things.

HawgZWylde
06-29-2013, 08:31 AM

Indeed, I had to Google it and find the original article and re-copy the address. It worked after that for me. As far as the thread being ridiculed, there's 2 posts other than the OP. Mine, in a half jokingly way, ridiculed what the feds are doing because of the frog. My point is humans had nothing to do with it and the fact that they want to grab another 7 million acres and destroy the local economies for something that's going to happen whether humans and stocked Trout are there or not. The radical thinking agenda is ultimately to drive people into the cities and suburbs and out of their declared wilderness areas. Anyone who has dealt with extreme environmentalism for as long as I have knows exactly what their real agenda is. Of all the things you and I disagree on, perhaps this is one we may actually agree on and lets just work from there because, as anglers, this is a very close to the heart subject and a serious, eye opening land and power grab that we must unite and fight...

Marley
06-29-2013, 09:24 PM
So if any effort is going to be successful, it must be organized. Hopefully, an organizer will see these threads and replies and contact those of us who are interested in doing something to help this cause. So far I have seen two mentions of the issue. One here, the other in WON. Both by Bishop Canyon resort operators. There has to be others there. If a coalition has been or is being established, please count me in as an interested angler.