PDA

View Full Version : I C bass day, and mystery fish

exfactor
06-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Got a shout from a buddy to go try the local WSB fishing up the coast. Headed up in not bad conditions, and arrived to about 20 other boats fishing there. Squid was easy, and the wind was blowing down the canyon. We had to wait until the tide change, but got pretty in the next hour with 4 nice ones, big fish was 40+, and the others were 20-30#. We caught 2 on scampis with squid heads lol. Anyways, we caught this "mystery fish" on the sabiki, and we caught more then 1. If you know, chime in.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/exfactor1/IMG_0025.jpg

marzocchi
06-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Juvenile Sablefish aka black cod. Just had some of that gindara at the sushi resturant. Taste like butter. Yummy.

DockRat
06-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Great job on the WSB.

bachiboy
06-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Way to go Mikey. Figured it was just a matter of time before you started laying into the biscuits!:Wink: It's funny, I just found an old stash of scampis laying around the garage. Good
Know the classics still work. :LOL:

Congrats on a great day!
Don

Wingnut
06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Great job Mikey and company... you were killing me with your text updates yesterday, lol :Envious:
You caught fish because you didn't have the "Uncoachable" one with you. :Big Smile:
I did okay in the surf yesterday. :Wink:

exfactor
06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
from my research, this hasn't happened many times before, catching black cod in such shallow water. May take some anchovies along next trip and try to target these. Understand they are great table fare.

Which Way Out
06-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Great job Mikey and company... you were killing me with your text updates yesterday, lol :Envious:
You caught fish because you didn't have the "Uncoachable" one with you. :Big Smile:
I did okay in the surf yesterday. :Wink:

Say What? UNCOACHABLE! :Shocked: Heck, if I were there, we would of had LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tasty fish Mikey. Like I said last night at dinner, You are more than welcome here anytime.
My next project is gonna be a killer fish cleaning station...:Thumbs Up:

WWO

jerryG
06-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Great work Mikey! Glad to hear that the squid/ WSB have taken up camp in your neck of the woods once again. Sablefish gets my vote for the mystery fish as well. I haven't seen or heard of any being caught in many years. When I was a kid I used to see them sometimes on deep water (500+ ft) trips but as I recall they were rare at best.

JerryG

trollmiester
06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
great catch-------in the early seventies wide open sable fish on the redondo barges-i mean wide open-funny i was just thinking what ever happened to them i know mcdonalds gets them from up norht for there great fish sandwich.thanx for a great report my friend sushis white sea bass and said there great.

exfactor
06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
McDonalds uses hake for their fish sandwiches