PDA

View Full Version : Saturday bite

Skinny
06-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Took my brother in law out today. We started out hitting the points and islands. I was throwing a spinner bait and he was throwing a topwater. Third cast of the day , boom! First bass of the day crushed my bait as it burned just under the surface. A couple casts later another one crushes it. This went on for about fifteen minutes then shut down. No love on the topwater today. About an hour in i want him to get a fish so i set him up with a baby bass senko. Now he's on about every fourth cast. I switched up to a squarebill and stuck a couple then nothing for about forty five minutes. Time to make a change about 8:30, we head over to the southwest corner and start throwing C rigged brush hogs. Almost instantly were both on, two bass one net! Continued catching on deeper spots at about 35-40 feet deep till about 10:30. Fishing was slow after that, picked off a couple here and there but pretty slow. Wind was a nice pace all day, i think that got em biting pretty good. About 25-30 fish total, most were 1-3 pounds. Left me wondering where all the bigger fish went. Off the water at 2 and chatted with the DFG data collector on the ramp. She told me that her boss is trying to boost the striper population in the lake. Interesting.

blufinhker
06-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Thought I would just work off your post, I was out there as well with two other buddys. No love on the top water today
for us so it was mostly a dropshot and senko bite. Fished the top of a few islands for a steady bite for most he day. Like
you said most were Rats with 3 pounder being the biggest. Caught about 15 fish each. Still a good day on the water.

Skinny
06-22-2013, 08:21 PM
No worries, for sure a fun day. Good luck out there.

HawgZWylde
06-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Took my brother in law out today. We started out hitting the points and islands. I was throwing a spinner bait and he was throwing a topwater. Third cast of the day , boom! First bass of the day crushed my bait as it burned just under the surface. A couple casts later another one crushes it. This went on for about fifteen minutes then shut down. No love on the topwater today. About an hour in i want him to get a fish so i set him up with a baby bass senko. Now he's on about every fourth cast. I switched up to a squarebill and stuck a couple then nothing for about forty five minutes. Time to make a change about 8:30, we head over to the southwest corner and start throwing C rigged brush hogs. Almost instantly were both on, two bass one net! Continued catching on deeper spots at about 35-40 feet deep till about 10:30. Fishing was slow after that, picked off a couple here and there but pretty slow. Wind was a nice pace all day, i think that got em biting pretty good. About 25-30 fish total, most were 1-3 pounds. Left me wondering where all the bigger fish went. Off the water at 2 and chatted with the DFG data collector on the ramp. She told me that her boss is trying to boost the striper population in the lake. Interesting.

Nice job out there guys.

Kwin is trying to boost the Striper population? That indeed is interesting. Up until a few months back even he was admitting the Shad population was decimated by an overpopulation of Striper. He even said the draw-down a few years back enhanced the problem. And what's even more interesting is the fact that the Shad population is still way way down. And we are yet again in the middle of a draw-down. But my question is how is he boosting the Striper population? Really doesn't make sense. Striper successfully reproduce in DVL all on their own. Yes, the Striper population is down, but that's of their own doing due to them eating every other forage species in sight, including themselves...

seal
06-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Now I've heard everything!

Skinny
06-23-2013, 12:06 PM
I didnt talk to Kwin and who knows if she knew what she is talking about but thats what she told me. She was saying that they are aiming for a diverse fishery. Im not a biologist or think i know about how to balance a fishery. Im just a guy who likes bass fishin. I have noticed a difference from a few years back though. I hope they find a way to allow both species to thrive. Either way ill be out there enjoying the bass i do get to catch. Good luck out there.

prankster13
06-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Great report skinny, looks like you guys did well today. I'm going out in the morning hoping for the same weather as today "June gloom" It seems like on the cloudy days things happen. What is with that striper theory anyway? Just when I think I have that lake figured someone throws a curve ball at me, oh well I'm with you, I'll just keep fishing that lake like nobody said anything.

Skinny
06-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Not sure P'ster, I was asking her if they have noticed any change in the size bass or numbers of bigger bass lately and that conversation came up. Maybe I just haven't had the luck I've had with bigger fish this year. I try to stay out of the striper/largemouth politics and catch the ones I can. I only mentioned it because the striper guys might want to know. Like I said Ill be out there regardless and if I snag a striper in the process its not all that bad. See ya out there.