PDA

View Full Version : new angler trying out big bear lake!

badnews
06-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Hi I'm new at fishing. I've tried Santa Monica pier using shrimp and caught a leopard shark. Tried camarrillo pier using mussel and caught a white croaker and a crab. So far I've had luck in salt water. I've tried freshwater using jigs, lures and power bait for trout at castaic, balboa lake, Hansen dam, and echo park with no luck. I saw online that big bear is getting restocked soon so I want to go try my luck there. I have a black and silver minnow spinner, a hard plastic crawdad, a pink and white minnow spinner, a pink and white shad that sinks to 6 to 8 ft and a couple spoons. What lures, jigs, or baits would be best recommended there? I'm really anxious to catch my first freshwater fish! Preferably trout!
Thanks for recommendations!!!

Troutin Man
06-21-2013, 11:40 PM
I am up at BBL and it is real tough fishing. I did not see one person catch today. I had no luck. Got out to Windy Point by 5am until 9 am using power bait varieties and also Firebait. I also used various BiteOn scents. Nothing. Fished by the dam...a ton of people everywhere and did not see anyone catch. I caught one small dinker bass using a brown trout spoon near the dam on Thursday afternoon. Think the full moon, winds from east the beast and high fishing pressure is making it tough.

I am up here a few more days so hopefully luck changes. BBL is a tough lake if you are not trolling right now that's for sure so I'm doing that Saturday.

badnews
06-22-2013, 12:30 AM
I'm planning on going a day after the restocking so hopefully the fish are hyped up and ready to explore a new world and are curious enough to bite. Would trolling be best recommended rather than live bait or powerbait?

esteban1t
06-22-2013, 12:59 AM
that lake is better trolling, because it is a big lake . if you want to have a better chance go to Green Valley Lake , and you will pretty much be guaranteed fish. I was there on Thursday , slowest day i had EVER , only caught 8 trout between me and my grandpa, 5 on trout worms, and 3 on Powerbait. (3 were too small and were released) and around 20 crappie but should be better now due to the stocking. I would recommend getting a boat and going towards the dam, and anchoring next to the bubbles. With one rod cast out Power bait, put a small amount, so they take the whole bait instead of just a little bite. Other rod use a trout worm or rooster tail. Use 2 POUND TEST you will get way more bites. hopefully this is helpful, and good luck !

bowler
06-23-2013, 08:42 PM
They stock the trout at the east ramp so the trout should hang around there for a few days.

badnews
06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm looking at the big bear lake map and I can't locate the east ramp. Where can I locate it so I can get driving directions?

badnews
06-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Is it anywhere near Stanfield cutoff? Its near the east end by the airport

bowler
06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Is it anywhere near Stanfield cutoff? Its near the east end by the airport

Yes it the right next to it. Stanfield cuffoff is about 200 yards from it.

bowler
06-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Here is a website to find the east ramp. http://www.bbmwd.com/Launching.html

badnews
06-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Nice! I found it on a map! Will report back at the end of my day with any catches! Hopefully I get at least one! I got power bait salmon egg, hatchery pellet, and garlic scent. Ive read its been used to cover up human scent on lures. I will be using it on some spoons.I also bought a rapala lure today. Its a small rainbow trout that sinks to 6-10 ft. Any lures recommended to be used? I want to catch trout or sm/ bm bass

bowler
06-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Nice! I found it on a map! Will report back at the end of my day with any catches! Hopefully I get at least one! I got power bait salmon egg, hatchery pellet, and garlic scent. Ive read its been used to cover up human scent on lures. I will be using it on some spoons.I also bought a rapala lure today. Its a small rainbow trout that sinks to 6-10 ft. Any lures recommended to be used? I want to catch trout or sm/ bm bass

Crappie jigs. I have got most of my bass on that up there. There is lots of weeds along the shore so you might not be able to cast lures.

Matt44
06-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Iv been up about 3 times in the last month because I just bought a brand new boat...trolling is the ticket with a downrigger or leadcore 2 to 5 colors have worked well for me. Trout and the smallmouth were killing the needlefish. Also picked up some on the rapala husky jerks. Small cranks work great there like the mira shad or rapala floaters. Rainbow pattern. And anything gold.

badnews
06-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Unfortunately, I skunked! :( 2 people caught catfish using nightcrawlers. I was using power bait on a #10 treble hook. No bites! I tried using a needlefish lure, no luck. A small rainbow trout lure, no luck. A piece of bread, no luck. Two types of power baits, no luck! It was fun nonetheless! I wish I could afford a boat or even a rental but unfortunately that's out of my budget. I did stop by the only bass pro shop in southern California and I got a 7 foot ugly stik lite can 1170 1mh. So far its a sturdy rod. I also picked up a reel. Can't remember brand at the top of my head. Got it set up with 4 lb test and it operates 10000x smoother than my pesca 2000!