PDA

View Full Version : Catalina 6/19/13

zzzfish
06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took a vacation day and decided to head back out to Catalina on the Fury from Dana Wharf. We left the marina at 5:15 and stop for bait with a little bit of half dead sardines and a bunch of nice anchovy. The ride out was a little tough with 6-8 foot swell but the weather was great and we got to the Northeast side of Catalina by 8:45AM.

At first, the water looks calm with little sign of life but when we settle in to this small cove the magic started to happen - the current slowly rises, the birds began to dive, and then the barracudas started flying (literally). The first one that was hook on was my friend with a live squid then I got one on a decent size anchovy. For the next three hours, the 21 members of our boat play the barracuda shuffle and the bags were quickly filled. I got bored after awhile and decided to go fish on the bottom to see what else is out there and hookup on my first beautiful sarcastic fringehead.

At around noon, the bite die down a bit and we decided to move and look for some decent calico/yellow area. We moved and we moved but we couldn't find a decent spot and left for home at 3:30 PM.

I ended up keeping seven barracudas and a blue perch for my mom. The boat total was 56 Barracuda, 2 Calico Bass, 1 Sheephead, 11 Whitefish, 2 Rcokfish, and 4 Blue Perch. It was a great day of fishing eventhough we didn't get the yellowtails that were hoping for.

Fish on!

Jake