PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the Freedom 6-19-2013

basschaser1
06-21-2013, 05:41 AM
First post for me fellow fishermen and women. Went out on the Freedom on Wednesday looking for those yellowtail at San Clemente. We picked up squid at the island very early that morning.The weather was not the greatest that morning.There were I would say 8 t0 10 foot swells, which made very hard to fish.Serveral of anglers got sick. Captain Tom and the crew had a tough time trying to anchor because of the swells and current. It was kinda slow fishing all morning. We did manage some rock fish, but the yellows were'nt biting.
As the day progressed into the afternoon the fishing got better with the rock fish and the calico's, but still no yellows.The Captain kept moving around the island, the clock was ticking, and then finally to the last spot.I fished all morning on the bow with a half ounce sliding sinker, number 2 hook, on 25 lb big game, tail hooking the live squid. I continued casting out off the bow, and then it happened, I got bit . I set the hook and the yellowtail was on HOOK UP ! This fish managed to get around the anchor line, thanks to the help I got from Jeffery the deckhand the fish finally got to gaff.The anglers moved to the front of the boat and there serveral other hook ups, there were also some hook ups from the back of the boat. I guess you could say the yellows were breezing the area. Thirty minutes later I hooked up again with the same set up on the back of the boat.This time the fish took me around the boat , I was working the fish letting the drag on the reel do its job on the fish.I continued putting pressure on the fish, finally there was color but oh know here comes a hungry seal. I pulled up on the rod made several turns on the handle of the reel the yellow was gaffed just a few seconds out of the seals jaws. We ended the day there with a total of eight yellows and several were lost.The Freedom is an older boat, like many of the other ships in the southern california. One thing for sure Captain Tom and his crew are a class act. I'll be back sooner than later.I'm having trouble loading a couple of pictures.The site said the picture file is to large ?? The yellows were like 15 to 20 pounds.

zzzfish
06-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Nice post basschaser. I was out on Wednesday too but at Catalina. We didn't get any yellows but lots of cudas.

First post for me fellow fishermen and women. Went out on the Freedom on Wednesday looking for those yellowtail at San Clemente. We picked up squid at the island very early that morning.The weather was not the greatest that morning.There were I would say 8 t0 10 foot swells, which made very hard to fish.Serveral of anglers got sick. Captain Tom and the crew had a tough time trying to anchor because of the swells and current. It was kinda slow fishing all morning. We did manage some rock fish, but the yellows were'nt biting.
As the day progressed into the afternoon the fishing got better with the rock fish and the calico's, but still no yellows.The Captain kept moving around the island, the clock was ticking, and then finally to the last spot.I fished all morning on the bow with a half ounce sliding sinker, number 2 hook, on 25 lb big game, tail hooking the live squid. I continued casting out off the bow, and then it happened, I got bit . I set the hook and the yellowtail was on HOOK UP ! This fish managed to get around the anchor line, thanks to the help I got from Jeffery the deckhand the fish finally got to gaff.The anglers moved to the front of the boat and there serveral other hook ups, there were also some hook ups from the back of the boat. I guess you could say the yellows were breezing the area. Thirty minutes later I hooked up again with the same set up on the back of the boat.This time the fish took me around the boat , I was working the fish letting the drag on the reel do its job on the fish.I continued putting pressure on the fish, finally there was color but oh know here comes a hungry seal. I pulled up on the rod made several turns on the handle of the reel the yellow was gaffed just a few seconds out of the seals jaws. We ended the day there with a total of eight yellows and several were lost.The Freedom is an older boat, like many of the other ships in the southern california. One thing for sure Captain Tom and his crew are a class act. I'll be back sooner than later.I'm having trouble loading a couple of pictures.The site said the picture file is to large ?? The yellows were like 15 to 20 pounds.

Jig-Guy
06-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the report and I am glad you got bit. Tommy and crew do a great job and I would fish the Freedom any time with those folks.

basschaser1
06-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Yea, its always a fun to catch a yellowtail. I went out 3 times last year on the Freedom, the reason being Tommy does look for the fish!! I may be going down to San Diego soon with all the action going on down there, but I always keep an eye on the fishing reports from the Freedom.

TUNAVIC
06-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Wtg on the yellows! I concur with the comments on Tommy Lee,know him since he was a kid,good guy.

Cya TunaVic

pitman
06-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Nice job on the yellows. Tommy's a great guy and the crew always works hard to make all the trips the best they can. Class act!