PDA

View Full Version : - urgent help needed to save south lake, bishop creek & rock creek lake –2 DAYS LEFT!

Sierra_Smitty
06-19-2013, 04:16 PM
- URGENT HELP NEEDED TO SAVE SOUTH LAKE & ROCK CREEK LAKE –

We are asking all of the hikers, backpackers, photographers and anglers out there, to comment in opposition of the recent US Fish & Wildlife Service proposal to turn nearly 2 million acres of the High Sierra including South Lake, Upper Bishop Creek South Fork, Rock Creek Lake and upper Rock Creek, and virtually all of the day-hike lakes in Inyo County area into critical amphibian habitat permanently ending fish stocking and fisheries management, and affecting access to these areas.

Even if you don't fish or don't like fishing, without that recreational activity being available to visitors, it would be impossible to maintain a viable business here and all of the services like lodging, hiker resupplies, dining, camping, RV hookups, kayaking that resorts like Parchers Resort, Rock Creek Lakes Resort, Rainbow Pack Outfit, Bishop Creek Lodge and dozens of others provide would simply fade away.

Please help protect access and protect the viability of the Eastern Sierra Resort community by opposing this measure. Visit the following link and click on the both of the links under submittal of comments near the bottom of the page.

http://www.inyoplanning.org/projects/USFW_YellowLeggedFrog.htm

Public comments end June 24th at 9pm so please act now.

If you would like to cut & paste some verbiage in opposition, here is an example.

I would like to voice my opposition the US Fish & Wildlife Service’s proposal to designate vast areas of the Sierra Nevada’s in Inyo County as critical habitat for the Sierra Nevada Yellow-Legged frogs. These frogs are being managed by the California Department of Fish & Wildlife and Federal Involvement is not necessary. Any further restriction to public access, activities, or recreational opportunities (including fish stocking) in the Sierra Nevada will have a tremendously negative economic effect on area visitors, residents and business owners. At no point should popular roadside waters like Rock Creek Lake and South Lake in Bishop be included in any habitat areas and the state of California should be allowed to manage backcountry waters for both the survival of frogs and for backcountry angling and recreation. The current map also has a tremendous disparity in habitat between Mono and Inyo counties which is unfair and a burden on Inyo County.

This is the real deal folks, and what starts in Inyo County will no doubt spread into Mono County as well. Scary stuff.

Jared Smith
GM Parchers Resort

HawgZWylde
06-19-2013, 04:36 PM
This was posted by a poster named pcuser awhile back in the "general" section. One would think after this was released that they would drop this farce.

Default Frog fungus

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0425193048.htm

"Check this link if you want to know whats really killing frogs (think southern mountain yellow-legged frogs). This appears pretty definitive for what the problem really is. Comments..."

One has to wonder what their true motivations are...

DEVOREFLYER
06-20-2013, 06:59 AM
This should be a wake up call to every sportsman that our recreation is under attack for the envirowackos.
This Sheriff nails it and we ALL better wake up!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K_vUGC8BWvI#at=42

HawgZWylde
06-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Scanning the document itself (it's huge), it turns out that there's proposed zones EVERYWHERE. Not just Inyo, but Mono, Fresno, Madera, Mariposa, ... all the way up to Butte and Plumas counties.

From what I heard earlier, 7 million acres was the actual target...

HawgZWylde
06-20-2013, 07:06 PM
This is completely crazy. Why isn't this getting more attention? South lake, Rock Creek Lake, Lake Mary, Lake George, would have all planting stopped there, plus other areas such as the Little Lakes Valley, and Duck Pass near Mammoth that could have all fish removed? Have you seen the map? It covers more than 50% of the Eastern Slope!

And you just KNOW this is only the camel's nose under the tent. As soon as these are approved, they (probably HSUS and PETA) will start phase II, which is to expand those areas, especially into Mono County. Just like the MLPA.

It will destroy what's left of the local economies up there. But that's the ultimate eco-commie's goal. They want everyone living in the urban areas and out of the wilderness areas.

I see the link I posted above is not working so I found the article and here is a working link;

http://www.livescience.com/19902-frog-fungus-dehydration.html

"A fungus that has torn through frog populations worldwide kills by dehydrating the hapless amphibians, disrupting electrolyte balance and causing cardiac arrest.

The fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, which is responsible for chytridiomycosis disease, has caused massive frog death on a global scale, threatening many species with extinction. When the fungus reached the Sierra Nevada mountains in California, it slashed mountain yellow-legged frog populations by more than 75 percent in only about four years. The frog (Rana muscosa) is now listed as endangered."

This HAS to be stopped. Our government is out of control folks...

DEVOREFLYER
06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
The Envirowacko's will like nothing better than to have the whole state completely revert back to nature. Look at the economic horror that has been done to farming and employment in the central valley with the water restrictions because of the Delta Smelt. Oh and did I forget to mention that they want the Hech Hetchy dam removed and the valley reverted back to it's natural state along with a number of other dams on rivers. These people are beyond fools, where do they think that San Francisco gets it's water from. Yes, our guberment is out of control, our Forefathers would be shooting by now.

Sierra_Smitty
06-21-2013, 01:32 AM
I just want to reiterate that you can post your comments until Monday at 9pm. We can all jibber jabber about how ridiculous this is but only posting comments on the US Fish & Wildlife Service comment service counts and will continue the discussion before this all comes to fruition.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=FWS-R8-ES-2012-0100

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=FWS-R8-ES-2012-0074

Either oppose the measure or request an extension of the public comment phase if you want this all sorted out.

Thanks to all of the supporters out there.

Sierrally,
Smitty

DEVOREFLYER
06-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Smitty thank you for bringing this to our attention and I have submitted my opposition and hope others will do the same. For over 75 years my family has shared the wonderful wilderness experience of this area. I was first exposed to the Eastern Sierras as a small child by my late father in the early 1950’s and his ashes are spread in this wilderness area as he would have wished as my sons will do with mine. This area is dear to our family and we hold it with a special reverence. For over 50 years my wife and sons have spent our leisure time and hard earned money with the business’s that depend on the recreational visitors to this area for their livelihood. It is past time for everyone to sit passively back and let our freedoms be slowly taken away from us.

HawgZWylde
06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
I too have spent my entire life fishing and wandering the Eastern Sierra. My family has stayed in the same private cabin on Upper Twin for over 50 years. It's the white one with the red roof high up on the hill overlooking Upper Twin Lake. I have indeed written letters and sent e-mails to everyone and anyone who would listen. Not only on issues regarding the Sierra Nevada range, but as an avid off-roader, everything related to desert closures as well.

Thanks for posting this Smitty. We Americans, and more specifically Californians had better wake up to who we are electing and what we are voting for as we are losing one right after another. At this rate, we won't have any in a very short period...

zzzfish
06-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the post Smitty.

I did my part. Hopefully our efforts will keep the land open to fisherman.