PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Sat. Night

snospdr
06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Tried San Antonio Saturday night, anchoring up in a cove to avoid the cold wind that started when it got dark. No matter how many times I tell myself that I am not gonna do the overnight deal on my boat again at that lake, I never seem to learn! Anyway, I put two rods out with anchovies and bells and started bringing in a catfish every 15 to 30 minutes until I couldn't take it anymore. Brought in the lines at 2:45 a.m. as I was too tired out from lack of sleep from getting out of my sleeping bag onto the cold, wet deck to bring in another fish....Over and over and over... My two dogs were not happy with me and could not have cared less about how good the bite was. You know the drill: at first it's "Great! Nobody's gonna believe this hot bite!"...then "Uh, this is non-stop"......then it's, "Okay, where are the stripers?"...then, "I've had it with these catfish!". Still, I kept a half dozen up to about 5 lbs. and let the rest go, hoping to get a striper at sunup. At dawn, motored over to the "slide" and put the trolling rigs out. I had heard some fish were being picked up there early and I metered fish and scattered bait anywhere from 15 to 30 feet down out in 48 feet of water. About an hour into the troll, one rod got slammed hard, line screaming.....then nothing....I barely got the rod out of the holder when the hook pulled out....An hour later, same spot, another screamer. This one held and weighed in at 9 lbs. 12oz. Then it was several hours without a bump....Heading back across the lake to the launch ramp at about 10 a.m., I metered a healthy ball of bait with fish apparently on the attack...The right depth and everything, but nada as I trolled right through it. I tried doubling back, but being out in the middle of the lake made it hard to find them again. Headed home a short time later and had beer batter fish tacos that night....I guess I might do the night thing again at San Antonio in another month or so!
By the way, the report had been that the shad were up around the marina, but I guess they dropped back into deeper water before I got there. Water temp. On Sunday morning was 74 , water was pretty murky, with visibility about 2 to 3 ft.

cutbait
06-18-2013, 04:52 AM
Thanks snospdr.

Great report and congrats on the striper. I know exactly what you mean about those kitties. Very annoying

vampirebret
06-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the informative report. I didn't know you can fish the lake all night on a boat. That's cool. As far as the cats go, I would rather catch them all night then get no action at all.

snospdr
06-18-2013, 07:14 AM
They lock the launch ramp at 9 pm now, so once on the lake you can't pull your boat out until 6 a.m.

vampirebret
06-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Interesting. Do they charge you an extra fee if they notice you fishing all night?

snospdr
06-18-2013, 07:23 PM
They charged me the camping fee of $40 (two dogs with me). They asked if I would be off the lake by 8 a.m., which I think would cost about half the camping fee.

TroutOnly
06-18-2013, 08:46 PM
thanks for the report paul,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,

snospdr
06-18-2013, 09:17 PM
You bet, Bob. Thanks again for your expertise. Go get 'em!