PDA

View Full Version : Hansen Dam (The cement hole)

Serg
06-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Went sat morning for some catfish. Park didn't open up till 7:30. Thought it was supposed to be at sunrise. Oh well. Threw a Zoom white pearl super fluke on a 3/8oz red hammer head and caught a nice 4-5 lbs LMB close to the rocks. Fished till 10:30 but no luck on the catfish. Somehow my waders got a hole in them and got my shorts and my wallet all wet. Well worth it for the beating the skunk. Now i have to go patch up my waders, hope the glue i bought works.

PokerFish
06-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Did you notice when was the last time they stocked?

PokerFish
06-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Good job on the bass. If anyone else is gonna bass fish Hansen, please practice Catch & Release. Also be mindful and don't drag the fish on the dirt or concrete before releasing them. It's a very small lake and there are very few quality bass in there.

One of the life guards told me that the reason the place opens late and closes early now is due to budget cuts.

Serg
06-17-2013, 04:51 PM
The sign said the last time the lake was stocked with catfish was June 6th. It said 500lbs but not sure if that was accurate. Btw, the bass was released prompt and safe back into the lake. Have to agree with Pokerfish about that.

BALLERONBUDGET
06-17-2013, 05:26 PM
recon trip few weeks ago.... skunkarooo here with no one fish caught or seen. lots of dead floaters after stock . and h20 stank big time. lifeguard must hv tossd 20 or so into trashbags........maybe not enuff oxygen in h20?...waterfall fountain seems to run slower now; heard similar results at other park lakes. even get that milky based water when they backflow the filtration system

PokerFish
06-17-2013, 05:27 PM
The sign said the last time the lake was stocked with catfish was June 6th. It said 500lbs but not sure if that was accurate. Btw, the bass was released prompt and safe back into the lake. Have to agree with Pokerfish about that.

This last stocking on the 6th was really weird. Usually the fishing is really good right after a stocking, particularly from my tube. I went on the 7th and 8th, however, and only managed 1 fish. I was with another float tuber who had a fish finder and was metering a big school of fish that would pass underneath us every 5 mins or so but nothing would bite.

A clue might come from the fact that there was an unusual amount of dead fish floating (about 7-8) and the one fish I did catch had several sores and leeches on it.

PokerFish
06-17-2013, 05:30 PM
recon trip few weeks ago.... skunkarooo here with no one fish caught or seen. lots of dead floaters after stock . and h20 stank big time. lifeguard must hv tossd 20 or so into trashbags........maybe not enuff oxygen in h20?...waterfall fountain seems to run slower now; heard similar results at other park lakes. even get that milky based water when they backflow the filtration system

I doubt the oxygen levels in the lake were the problem. Catfish are much more tolerant of low oxygen versus other fish, yet I did not see anything else belly up. My guess is that there was a problem in transport.

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
06-17-2013, 05:37 PM
awesome job man, ive been there a couple times before but no luck. Im glad to see atleast someone gets fish out of there. :Big Grin: