PDA

View Full Version : The troll bite is still Wide Open!

fishinone
06-17-2013, 01:11 PM
I went out alone Saturday.

I ran down the lake to Old SS and metered around but didn't see many fish, so I kept going and started seeing fish as I passed the bathroom down near Elizabeth Canyon. I went on down and checked out an area where I planned to bait-n-wait but didn't see what I was looking for, so I ran to the middle out in front of the float-a-potty and set up the trolling rigs.

I made it a hundred yards or so before I passed a point with a huge school of fish on it. They were 40 or 50 ft high and 60 -80 ft across. I got hit passing through them but didn't hook up. I think they were small fish, say a pound or so. At the next point I saw lots of slightly bigger marks and hooked up 2 fish that were a little bigger. They went into the fish well.

I trolled around and around the area from the float-a-potty to the Elizabeth Canyon buoys and hooked up nearly constantly. The fish were concentrated on one bank but there were fish all over. I kept count of the fish that were mostly released and kept the count at 8 fish, culling smaller ones and the ones that began to look tired from the fish hold. Later I trolled down the Fish arm all the way to the jet ski buoy line. I caught fish on many points all down the fish arm and from right near the jet ski bouys.

After I caught about 30 fish I stopped and tried bait-n-wait for a while. I could see on the fish finder that fish were picking up my baits but my bait wasn't in great shape and they dropped it right away. I tried feeling for them to hook them before they spit but couldn't feel anything. When I would check my baits, they had been scaled but they didn't even suck the guts out. After a couple hours of that I went back to trolling.

In the afternoon the fishing was rapid. I used one trolling pole and would get hit almost as soon as I put the pole down and set the speed of the boat. Lots of times, I just dropped my rod tip when I got the fish to the boat and let them come off. I only brought the bigger models and the ones that didn't come off into the boat.

At about 3 o clock I got one around 4 lb. That was big fish for the day. I made lots of circles right there where I got it. I found a small school of the bigger models up in 10 or 12 feet of water but I didn't get any more of them to commit. It was kind of tough because the smaller ones would be on before I could get to the bigger ones. Oh well, I've had worse problems.

I only had one triple but the hits were so steady that I caught more fish than last week. I think that just counting the fish that I had to remove from the hooks, I caught 60+ fish.

The drag nut on my reel finally gave out at the end of the day. The brass threads pulled right out of it. I hand lined my last fish in because the reel wasn't taking up line anymore.

Here's a picture of the days take.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/20130615_203959_zpscb5ad902.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/20130615_203959_zpscb5ad902.jpg.html)

CAPT'N
06-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Nice job Ron !

bassmeister
06-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Now that's a good day.

TroutOnly
06-17-2013, 01:50 PM
GREAT REPORT RON MY TURN IS TOMMOROW,,,,,,,,,,,,IM GOING TO DO SOME DOWNRIGGING FOR BIGGER UNITS,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

koifish
06-17-2013, 02:30 PM
great job. Too bad I could not go with you that day.

dk4885
06-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Dam Ron I need to book a trip with you since my boat is down.

DMS
06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I was out on Sunday and Lulu and I were done with limits and another released set of limits by 9:30. We could have caught 100 if we wanted. No big fish and they were all around 12", but I had a great big green carp up to the boat with a double on a dink striper that jumped and pulled the hook out of the green carp while airborne so I didn't have to touch him.
By the time I was done, I was trolling AC plugs to keep the little guys off my line. It was a good fathers day.

fishinone
06-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks Capt'n and BassMeister

GREAT REPORT RON MY TURN IS TOMMOROW,,,,,,,,,,,,IM GOING TO DO SOME DOWNRIGGING FOR BIGGER UNITS,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

I can't wait for that report!

great job. Too bad I could not go with you that day.

LOL! You snooze you loose. It looks like burning the midnight oil has been working well for you though.

Let's set it up.

I was out on Sunday and Lulu and I were done with limits and another released set of limits by 9:30. We could have caught 100 if we wanted. No big fish and they were all around 12", but I had a great big green carp up to the boat with a double on a dink striper that jumped and pulled the hook out of the green carp while airborne so I didn't have to touch him.
By the time I was done, I was trolling AC plugs to keep the little guys off my line. It was a good fathers day.

Hey, leave my fish alone!

Mine! Mine!! All Mine!!!
:LOL:

I wouldn't be surprised if you caught some of those little striper on your AC Plug.

With somebody to help me reel I think 100 would have been no problem.

My hands didn't cramp up this week but they were tired at the end of the day. I'm getting back in shape.

MikesOcean
06-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Good job getting on the fish Ron!

Ya I'm sure you had lots of fun catching 60+ stripers on the troll even if most were dinks.

That place is a blast trolling when the better grade start hitting the troll.

I was there Friday and i wasnt getting them like you and DMS did. Although I never worked the fish arm by Elizabeth.

Maybe thats why I wasn't getting them good like you and DMS. Nonetheless, good job!

DMS
06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
I was not in the fish arm yesterday but was all the way on the other side. Lol... I did get out there the weeK before and didn't find the meat but got 9 of Ron's little guys and a fat 7 pounder. The big one tried to eat the others in the live well. After the 12 inchers I thought the 7 was a DD until I weighed it. The big one was on bait. Lulu had to get the big net.

MikesOcean
06-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I was not in the fish arm yesterday but was all the way on the other side. Lol... I did get out there the weeK before and didn't find the meat but got 9 of Ron's little guys and a fat 7 pounder. The big one tried to eat the others in the live well. After the 12 inchers I thought the 7 was a DD until I weighed it. The big one was on bait. Lulu had to get the big net.

Very nice! I took my daughter with me so by the time I launched it was 830. I was maybe more concerned for her that she was ok. Never made it to the other side either. Just trolled toward the fish arm and came back. I'm gonna have to head back soon. Good job to you DMS finding them too. I just can't use another dine for awhile. After sf, if I see another dine I'm gonna puke. Lol

vampirebret
06-18-2013, 06:16 AM
That is awesome fishing.

vampirebret
06-18-2013, 06:19 AM

Being from Fresno too, we can take my boat down there. But then again, why.......when all I'll do is steal your honey hole. LOL