PDA

View Full Version : Personal Best Catfish at the vine 6/15

Carptain_Bao
06-16-2013, 01:50 AM
Well, I have yet to catch a single catfish this year except a 5lber caught at Santa fe Dam in early January. I haven't had enough time to fish due to school. After I finished all my finals on Friday. I decided to make a run to the vine before I leave for China on Sunday night. I just really need to break the skunk streak before my visit to China!

Texted Hometown for some tips and he was kind enough to give me a call and pointed me a couple good spots to hit up. Thank you Mark I really appreciate your intel!

Got to the lake a little later than I expected due to the traffic. Rented a boat. Set up in the boat dock cove and found out that one anchor on the rental was broken, what a bummer! Staff was very nice and tied a new one on in a couple mins I was out again. This time I drove the boat around and tried to find a good spot. Finally found a very good spot that wasn't covered with salad and set my boat up right there.

I actually had a few goals this trip:
1. catch a kitty and break the skunk streak!
2. learn how to operate a boat
3. break in my NGT Carp Stalker rod and Carp Runner Reel
4. learn how to use a baitcaster (Tekota 500)

So I rigged both my new carp stalker rod and Daiwa jupiter rod with pike mackerel. I have to say the bait i had was not good. They are oily but not very bloody. Wish I could catch some fresh mackerel while I was at school in Santa barbara but that never worked out. Had to buy some pike mackerel from 99 ranch market. After trying to cast with the Tekota 3 times with 2 huge birdnests I finally gave up. Pulled out my BPS Catbuster paired with Abu Garcia Cardinal and put the baitcaster away.

Not even a nibble for the next 3 hrs but the sun was still up so I was not too worried. I really liked the spot I found myself so I resisted to move. When it hit 8pm, i decided to give it another 15 mins. I waited 'til 8:10, still no bite so I reeled in my NGT combo. Just as I was reeling in my NGT, I saw my Catbuster's line was going out straight, then I heard the drag go "zzzzzzzz" for 3 secs, tightened up my drag and set the hook, FishOn baby! Felt a nice fatty on the other end, not a beast, but a fatty for sure. It didn't start to peel drag until it got close to me. I was worried because I do not want it to get wrapped around the anchor line. Man it was hard to bring in the fish and land it with a big catfish net! I was so freakin' tired after I brought it to the boat. But I was so pumped up by this catch. Threw both lines out again but had no more hits for the next 30 mins. had to head back home at 9 for pack-up and spend more time with mom. i think if I stayed longer I would got more!

Here is the catch of the day:
http://i44.tinypic.com/b9bo2d.jpg

Lesson learned:
-do not fish cats by yourself or else you will have a good work out
-still need to put more work into casting baitcasters
-driving a boat is not as hard as it seems however I definitely need to spend a lot more time on it to be good at it

Good thing is that I finally broke my catfish skunk streak and started the catfish season with a solid kitty!

I would like to thank Hometown again for his help and also thank Irvine Lake for the hard-fighting quality catfish they stocked!

Go out there and enjoy the beautiful summer night!

I shall return in August for a lot more fun nights at the vine!
Tight lines!

Bao

BTW if the people on the boat which I crossed your lines are on this forum I will have to say sorry one more time! I never meant to do that. It was my first time driving a boat and I got too anxious and didn't realize I could back up and make a wider turn. So sorry about messing up your set ups.

Hometown
06-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the report buddy enjoy your trip home and see you when you get back

allanon
06-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Nice report! I love the detail.
Yeah, catching 5-10lb catfish when you land them by yourself tires me out, that is for sure.
We were there on the opener and after landing 15 of them, I was done. Arms and wrists spent. Couldn't figure out why on #14 and 15 I struggled to net the fish until I realized how tired my arms were.

5150fishn
06-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Congrats on breaking the skunk and catching that nice kittie! Have a great trip.

PONTOON
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Carptain, Congratulations on the Personal Best Kitty! :Cool:

It's easy to see your hooked now and you will learn more and more every time you go out. Don't give up on the baitcasters. Once you get them adjusted right you will love them for the kittys. :Thumbs Up:

michaelk
06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
For sure! I am pumped reading this. Nice writing skills I like your humility too. That's how we learn. Ask questions, listen to the answers, go try it. Nice cat!

Big fat belly, looks to be full of eggs. Close to 10 lbs, bigger than the cat I just caught. Have a great trip to China.

Nice report.

Michael, "Man i wanna go fishn!"

troutdog
06-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice goin Capt. Z-Bao! Way to get out your comfort zone on the boat and baitcaster....keep at it, see you when you get home :Thumbs Up:

TD