PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good jeep trail and stream fishing San Bernardino Mountians

michaelk
06-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Have a old friend driving up with his new jeep Rubicon and we wanted to trail ride and get some fish. We will leave it better than we find it if your worried about us trashing or killing off fish. We want it for our kids, kids.

Michael

Caveman
06-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Google map the Santa Ana River South Fork. Some good areas in there!

michaelk
06-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Google map the Santa Ana River South Fork. Some good areas in there!

Thank you.. I will try that

Tom
06-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Have a old friend driving up with his new jeep Rubicon and we wanted to trail ride and get some fish. We will leave it better than we find it if your worried about us trashing or killing off fish. We want it for our kids, kids.

Michael

Deep creek
also Bear creek

smalweld
06-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Wouldn't bother with any of the creeks now. The water levels in these drainages are small compared to what they usually are. Low waters with hot summers equal warm waters that the trout may not survive after a fight. I miss fishing these waters as much as anyone and with the low water levels, I don't want to stress the naturals in these waterways. I catch and release and only use barb-less flies. However the fish that are stocked in the Santa Ana River are fair game. If you look close enough in the reports from two years ago on the Santa Ana River and compare them to what you see when you go there, you will realize what I am talking about.

castle
06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Yed, we haven't had any rain or much snow to speak of the last 2 yrs. Some of these smaller streams may even dry up.

Skyler
06-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Deep creek is probably the best bet with the low water conditions up here right now. Decent fishing for wild trout, and lots of trails to wheel. You have Willow Creek Jeep Trail (green rated trail with multiple blue spurs), and Dishpan Springs (black diamond rated, extremely rutted, with large rock gardens and a giant dry waterfall as a gatekeeper. Pretty much a guarantee of body damage for a stock Rubi, and a very high chance of getting stuck or broken). There are also several side trails off of Willow creek that vary from green to black diamond, and you are pretty close to the pinnacles as well. Keep in mind that Deep Creek has a two fish limit, an 8" size limit, and you must use barbless hooks and artificial unscented lures/flies. If you decide to take the spur down to Devil's Hole, either a rear locker or a tall and light vehicle is highly advised. It washed out a bit this winter, he he.