PDA

View Full Version : New angler

JULIO L
06-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Good afternoon guys,
I am a new angler and need tips on how to set up my line for Catfish. I have been fishing at many lakes with no luck. I have fished at ElDo, Kenneth Hahn, Alondra Park, Santa Ana River Lake with no luck. I am using Mackrel, millworms, stinkbait and worms. I think my set up might be wrong. Any tips?

FishEye
06-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Good afternoon guys,
I am a new angler and need tips on how to set up my line for Catfish. I have been fishing at many lakes with no luck. I have fished at ElDo, Kenneth Hahn, Alondra Park, Santa Ana River Lake with no luck. I am using Mackrel, millworms, stinkbait and worms. I think my set up might be wrong. Any tips?

Use a medium power rod and line it up with 8lb test. Carolina rig if u need to cast a distance if not fly-line works perfectly fine. Call the DFG at (562) 594-7268 to find where a local city lake near u is stocked and go out there and have fun. My go to baits are fresh shrimp and a good ol' hotdog. Move around till u find a good hole and you should be on some steady action. If your willing to spend a bit of cash, Irvine lake is an awesome place right now for cats. Hope this helps and good luck.

hamdenst
06-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the forum! Here is a link on how to set up a Carolina rig. Good luck!

http://catfishtraining.com/carolina-rig

I*B*CATCHIN
06-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Try hot dogs wrapped with sewing thread close in color to the bait ....I've caught cat on meal worms & marshmallow (m&m).....people have had luck with fresh mackerel, shrimp , anchovies ,

Bassman1414
06-15-2013, 08:42 PM
I just use a chunk of flylined mackerel with 8 pound line.

catfishkid1
06-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Try chicken liver wrapped around a #8 trebble hook,,,,,,,,works fine if you can keep the liver on, but make
sure to have a pair of needle nose pliers on hand for hook removal.
Btw, welcome to the site and post often of your catch ( see, I believe you can catch something)

etucker1959
06-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Good afternoon guys,

I know a little bit about park catfishing and I don't think your problem some much is your bait and tackle but your timing. The DFG stocked lakes get quickly fished out. The last stocking in one my home lakes I only got three good days of fishing and then it was over. My best advice to you is to learn the DFG system and fish as near as you can to the dates when the fish are actually put in. If you don't know the system just ask me I have it memorized. For example it looks like you love to fish in the North LA County lakes. My best guess is those lakes will be stocked again on the week of July 1-5. They can stock on any day that week BUT these drivers seem to get in a pattern. In the North LA County lakes they love to stock on Fridays. That translates into July 5 the catfish truck is due to hit Alondra Park and Kenneth Hahn park lakes. If you work Monday to Friday like the rest of us, Sat July 6 would be an excellent day to go fishing. You should always double check the dates by calling the DFG hotline. (562) 594-7268. Remember the early bird catches the worm, try to be there at first light. DFG catfish tend to school up, so if your not catching any move. If other people are catching them in one area, try to get in there without crowding anyone. Good Luck and I hope you catch a bunch.

i

JULIO L
06-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Thank you guys for the advice. I will be going to Irvine lake next Friday afternoon, any tips for that lake??

pekso
06-21-2013, 08:50 AM
pm me for the best bait!

catfishkid1
06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
If you can get some fresh mackeral the day before and keep it on ice. Get some attractant from the store there at the lake and use that on your bait and flyline it.
If you don't get hit in 30 to 40 minutes, move to another spot and repeat. Good luck out there!!

FKNChristopH
06-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Listen to Etucker1959

he's a really good guy and knows his stuff!

*shakka*

I*B*CATCHIN
06-21-2013, 02:06 PM
pm me for the best bait!

Sharing is caring ........ what's up with the secrets:Big Grin: