PDA

View Full Version : Question about fishing rods

RiversideTrout77
06-14-2013, 05:16 PM
I've read about some liking to use the st. Croix wild river rods for fishing in the salt. So my question is has anybody used the salmon/steel head rods from Daiwa. Daiwa DXS there not as pricey as the croix. What's your opinions, I'm looking to buying a salt water setup for when I go to the beach with the family.

Thanks.

A W Root Beer
06-15-2013, 09:13 AM
The trend is to more shorter. more bending slower action rods in the surf.

Casting Length Pcs. Lure Wt. Line Wt. Handle Action Power
CG 82 DR 8 '2" 2 3/8-1 8-20 1 Mod Med/Hvy

CG 86 MHC 8'6" 2 3/8-1 10-20 1 Mod Med/Hvy

bachiboy
06-20-2013, 12:04 AM
I use salmon/steelhead rods for throwing LCs. A lot of guys do. The length helps to get some distance on your casts. Since the main target is halibut, the parabolic/softer action is a little more forgiving with the headshakes. Not sure about the Daiwa rods. I've used the St. Croix Avid, Phenix Trifecta and Shimano Clarus. The Clarus is the cheapest of the bunch...good rod, but you get what you pay for and it doesn't feel as nice and the other two. Feels fine if you've never used the others...but once you do, kinda hard to go back.:Wink:

Hope that helps.
Don

RiversideTrout77
06-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the replies.

RiversideTrout77
06-25-2013, 07:36 AM
I use salmon/steelhead rods for throwing LCs. A lot of guys do. The length helps to get some distance on your casts. Since the main target is halibut, the parabolic/softer action is a little more forgiving with the headshakes. Not sure about the Daiwa rods. I've used the St. Croix Avid, Phenix Trifecta and Shimano Clarus. The Clarus is the cheapest of the bunch...good rod, but you get what you pay for and it doesn't feel as nice and the other two. Feels fine if you've never used the others...but once you do, kinda hard to go back.:Wink:

Hope that helps.
Don

Ok, thanks for your input. Im going to look at the Phenix Trifecta, do you now of any shops that carry them in the store. Ive gone to a couple places and they only had the trout rods or recon.

bachiboy
06-26-2013, 09:38 AM
I know that the Longfin in Orange sells it but not sure if they have any in stock. You might try calling Savon Tackle in Santa Fe Springs. They might have it as well. Good luck!