PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for striper

Kliston7
06-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone, on Wednesday me and
My dad decided to go down to skinner with our new boat and mainly just learn the lake being that it was our first time down there... We got on the water about 1 in te afternoon and did a little trolling with some
Swim baits but were mainly checking out the lake. We didn't get a single bite while doing so though, so we were wondering what the key to trolling for stripers is? I read they are about 10-20 ft of water right now but I doubt our swim baits were going that low, do you guys ever troll anchovies? Any hell
Would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

bassoholic
06-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone, on Wednesday me and
My dad decided to go down to skinner with our new boat and mainly just learn the lake being that it was our first time down there... We got on the water about 1 in te afternoon and did a little trolling with some
Swim baits but were mainly checking out the lake. We didn't get a single bite while doing so though, so we were wondering what the key to trolling for stripers is? I read they are about 10-20 ft of water right now but I doubt our swim baits were going that low, do you guys ever troll anchovies? Any hell
Would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Don't know what kind of boat you have but if you are going to troll a lot, invest in some downriggers. If you are just going to screw around and troll once in a while, especially for striper in the dead summer, you need to fish deep with leadcore. Drive around, learn the lake, and try and find bait in the water and locate the hdepth of the bait. That's where you start trolling. Lastly I don't troll chovies. If I want to fish chovies, fish them off the bottom or fly lined, meaning no weight. Good luck!

P.A.W.
06-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Check your PM box

snospdr
06-13-2013, 10:23 PM
A very successful striper guide at Lake Havasu taught me how to troll anchovies several years ago. On his main line, he used two or three ounces of sliding sinkers and a swivel on the end. He used a four foot leader with a large, long shanked worm hook on the end. He would cut the head off of an anchovy, and slice one side of the bait off, leaving the backbone intact on the other side. Next, he would insert the hook near the tail, through the skin side, and bring the point of the hook up to the head end of the bait. He would then stick the point of the hook back through the bait, so it was just barely sticking out on the non-skin side. He would then tie a half hitch around the tail with the leader. Essentially, it ends up looking like a headless anchovy being trolled backwards. Let out 150 feet of line, troll at 2.5 to 3 mph, fish early or late in the day. When the sun is up, add weight to go deeper. Check your bait frequently to make sure it's still running straight. If it has a rolling action when trolled, all the better. Keep the rest of the bait very cold so it doesn't get too soft to work with.
Hope this helps!