PDA

View Full Version : Stripper behaviour in a lake ?

michaelk
06-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Last night I went to the Wood and caught 6 Stripper all little dinks. My questions are these?

Do stripper school together by size? So if your catching small ones in a spot and keep casting to that spot are you going to keep catching small ones, or do you have a good shot at hitting a larger one?

Do stripper eat each other for food? Is slab siding a small dink good bait ? or is that bad form to kill a future hall of famer?

At the Wood the size doesn't matter and it seems the idea is to reduce the population of the stripper. Is stripper considered a junk fish? I know the bloodline in the meat needs to come out and the 1/8 inch near the skin or it is really fishy, but cleaned right it is good bass.

What are the strippers MO ? Like this time of year what should I be doing to get the bigger toads and not the little dinks?

Tons more questions but this is near overload. Eager to learn so if you take the time to reply I will study and try your advice.

Thanks Michael

seal
06-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Usually strippers will hangout on big cigar style boats or yachts, they follow the money and are mostly pelagic by nature.

ghost2uu
06-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Last night I went to the Wood and caught 6 Stripper all little dinks. My questions are these?

Do stripper school together by size? So if your catching small ones in a spot and keep casting to that spot are you going to keep catching small ones, or do you have a good shot at hitting a larger one?

Do stripper eat each other for food? Is slab siding a small dink good bait ? or is that bad form to kill a future hall of famer?

At the Wood the size doesn't matter and it seems the idea is to reduce the population of the stripper. Is stripper considered a junk fish? I know the bloodline in the meat needs to come out and the 1/8 inch near the skin or it is really fishy, but cleaned right it is good bass.

What are the strippers MO ? Like this time of year what should I be doing to get the bigger toads and not the little dinks?

Tons more questions but this is near overload. Eager to learn so if you take the time to reply I will study and try your advice.

Thanks Michael

1. Yes striper school by size. Once they get big the hunt in smaller wolf packs of the same size fish.
2. Striper move in and out on spots the small fish you are catching one minute are gone the next and can be replaced by bigger fish, smaller fish, or no fish.
3. Yes Stripers eat each other. All freshwater fish do.
4. Striper are not junk fish. They get big, fight hard and are the top predator in any water they are present. Largemouth bass are junk fish.
5. Striper's MO is: was here and biting yesterday and probably tomorrow, but not today. Here one second gone the next.
6. When you put the cut bait back in the fridge and learn to target big fish feeding patterns Silverwood will reward you even more.

I once caught a big striper out there and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
P.S. Strippers dance on poles, Stripers make poles dance.

fishinone
06-13-2013, 11:06 AM
ghost2uu has it about right.

I would add that using game fish for bait will get you into trouble with the Game Wardens and striper are a game fish. If you want to use fish for bait use Ocean Fin Fish.

michaelk
06-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Usually strippers will hangout on big cigar style boats or yachts, they follow the money and are mostly pelagic by nature.

I can't spell for ****. LMAO

michaelk
06-13-2013, 01:34 PM
1. Yes striper school by size. Once they get big the hunt in smaller wolf packs of the same size fish.
2. Striper move in and out on spots the small fish you are catching one minute are gone the next and can be replaced by bigger fish, smaller fish, or no fish.
3. Yes Stripers eat each other. All freshwater fish do.
4. Striper are not junk fish. They get big, fight hard and are the top predator in any water they are present. Largemouth bass are junk fish.
5. Striper's MO is: was here and biting yesterday and probably tomorrow, but not today. Here one second gone the next.
6. When you put the cut bait back in the fridge and learn to target big fish feeding patterns Silverwood will reward you even more.

I once caught a big striper out there and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
P.S. Strippers dance on poles, Stripers make poles dance.

The things you learn in a fishing forum. Spelling is not my strong suit. And yes you have it right. thanks

michaelk
06-13-2013, 01:36 PM

I would add that using game fish for bait will get you into trouble with the Game Wardens and striper are a game fish. If you want to use fish for bait use Ocean Fin Fish.

I didn't know that thanks

Master Baiter1
06-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Someone say strippers?

What if you use an ocean caught striper? :LOL: Now there's a dilemma for a game warden.

sumodnb
06-20-2013, 02:54 PM
ooooooo, stripers, mmmmmmmm. gillcut, bleed em out, FISH TACOS!!!!

Stormcrow
06-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Stripers school by nature for protection and cooperative feeding, however, when an individual reaches a certain size and fills the position of the apex predator, the tend to be more solitary hunters, looking for high calorie meals that require few calories to acquire. Therefore the term "schoolie" usually refers to the cookie cutter, 1-5 lb striper or smaller and you can often catch many in the same place.

One rule of thumb is that the bigger they are, the fewer there will be in relation to each other. From what I understand, large stripers 30-50 lbs may be entirely solitary....

fishinone
06-20-2013, 04:05 PM
What if you use an ocean caught striper? :LOL: Now there's a dilemma for a game warden.

LOL, I just saw this. I've thought about it but I'd hate to have to try and sell to the Warden.