PDA

View Full Version : Cats in the Wood. Bank fishing the Silver Mistress

michaelk
06-12-2013, 11:33 AM
The Wood has been a a tough Mistress to fish and learn. First off finding fish-able shores with fish, and somewhere where you won't fall 15 50 ft if you screw up.

That all said and a few skunk trips last night the Wood gave up some fish!!!!!

I broke my cherry n my new rig and caught one of my biggest freshwater fish to date.

Since I always ask where good spots are I am going to give it up here, take the dirt road on the left at the dam go in 2 miles to the shaded picnic tables there are two of them go to the point and fish. The coves and points take your pick but I feel the points give you better chance to catch fish.

Compact cars can make the trek but go slooooooooooow. Also if you are not happy with hiking , then hiking uphill with all your **** don't bother, I have lost about 20 lbs and 10 of those lbs were walking back to my car!!!!

Hot set up fro me was 20lb test, sliding swivel with 2oz pyramid sinker , bead , swivel, 4 ft leader 20lb test chicken liver and a big hook size and make unknown, (I know Lame) but learning. Basic Carolina set up but modified with the sliding swivel.

The low down on this was 2 dink strippers, and 2 fat cats, I was hit at least 25 times and most of those strikes were baby strippers, if I went to a smaller hook I would have caught 20 + fish, but I don't want small fish so I just put up with it. It reminds me of tuna fishing and getting past the crap tuna , when you did you hit a nice yellowtail. The same held true last night.

First trip to the Wood where all the bait was used and used up quickly. Tonight I am taking two tubs of liver and two mack!!!

catfishkid1
06-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Nice cats,,,,,,,,I need to make another run back up there..........It's been a year since
my last trip there!!!

michaelk
06-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice cats,,,,,,,,I need to make another run back up there..........It's been a year since
my last trip there!!!

Thanks. They were fun to catch, but what was "reel" fun was tha nonstop bite!!!!!!

Cadillyak
06-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Nice job on the kitties. Glad you got on some. Wish I fished the Wood, but too many lakes down here in San Diego. May have to make that trek one day.

michaelk
06-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Nice job on the kitties. Glad you got on some. Wish I fished the Wood, but too many lakes down here in San Diego. May have to make that trek one day.

But you should come up and fish the Wood.

Thanks! My buddy Chris is schooling me and I am learning quick! We both hooked up last night. When he posts up on this thread he can tell us all what hook I was using.

Yes you do have some great water in your area! LMB heaven!

seal
06-12-2013, 01:17 PM
There are no fish in Silverwood.

cee hubb
06-12-2013, 01:19 PM
But you should come up and fish the Wood.

Thanks! By buddy Chris is schooling me and I am learning quick! We both hooked up last night. When he posts up on this thread he can tell us all what hook I was using.

Yes you do have some great water in your area! LMB heaven!
Owner hooks size 2/O

cee hubb
06-12-2013, 01:19 PM

They're in there, gotta find them

michaelk
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM

I felt the same way until last night. What a hard assed place to fish from shore. Like I said it's part of my exercise program. Holy cow I drop a pound or two each trip! :)

michaelk
06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Owner hooks size 2/O

Thanks I needed to listen better. I was all jacked on adrenalin and just running to my rod all night , went in one ear and out the other.!!!

Jmac
06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
One of my favorite spots. Caught my two biggest stripers there. And it just so happens one of those was this morning. Hooked up a 8 pounder off the point. People next to me were going through bait as well and catching a ton of dinks and some nice cats. I feel your pain hiking back up that damn hill.

seal
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
They're in there, gotta find them

Cee Hubb if you don't see me at the Wood you aren't there very often. It's called sarcasm.

If you are after cats and don't want the drive in the dirt or the hike down from the road Cleghorn is starting to heat up also.

Yes the backside is very fun and normally is one of the more quiet spots and can be very productive before and after the boat traffic that is.

seal
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
I felt the same way until last night. What a hard assed place to fish from shore. Like I said it's part of my exercise program. Holy cow I drop a pound or two each trip! :)

Best to wear waders or wet wade when water level is up, it opens up much more of the shoreline and those points you can walk way out onto and fish both sides of the drop off.

But there are no fish in the Wood.

seal
06-12-2013, 03:59 PM
One of my favorite spots. Caught my two biggest stripers there. And it just so happens one of those was this morning. Hooked up a 8 pounder off the point. People next to me were going through bait as well and catching a ton of dinks and some nice cats. I feel your pain hiking back up that damn hill.

Saw you the other day, you carry more rods than I do, you have a problem.....

Airona124
06-12-2013, 04:15 PM
seals correct no fish there at all !!!!! :)

seal
06-12-2013, 04:24 PM
seals correct no fish there at all !!!!! :)

I try and tell them but they don't listen!

Jmac
06-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Saw you the other day, you carry more rods than I do, you have a problem.....

I have a **** ton of problems according to my wife. But in my defense I was probably toting around my brothers rods. I bring no more then two rods. One swim bait, and one for drop shot. Drop shot rod might hit the shelf soon with the salad getting thick. Not too mention the largies are killing the punker right now at sunset into the night.

seal
06-12-2013, 08:14 PM
I have a **** ton of problems according to my wife. But in my defense I was probably toting around my brothers rods. I bring no more then two rods. One swim bait, and one for drop shot. Drop shot rod might hit the shelf soon with the salad getting thick. Not too mention the largies are killing the punker right now at sunset into the night.

Think I saw you up in Black Oaks parking area, looked like about 4 rods or more, but your wife is probably right, we all have a problem.

michaelk
06-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Best to wear waders or wet wade when water level is up, it opens up much more of the shoreline and those points you can walk way out onto and fish both sides of the drop off.

But there are no fish in the Wood.

Got it! Thanks for the tip. There are no fish in the Wood!

michaelk
06-25-2013, 01:39 AM
One of my favorite spots. Caught my two biggest stripers there. And it just so happens one of those was this morning. Hooked up a 8 pounder off the point. People next to me were going through bait as well and catching a ton of dinks a. nd some nice cats. I feel your pain hiking back up that damn hill.

Awesome catch. I am still only getting dinks. I need to change up and learn how to fish artificial s. best of luck to you. hope to see you at the lake.