PDA

View Full Version : Camping advice please

Jbfish
06-11-2013, 06:09 PM
planning on camping with a few friends somewhere up in the sierras. last year we camped at lower PVR and it was a blast but this year i wanna camp somewhere off the map.. i still wanna fish.. will probably fish mostly barbless C&R, but may keep a few for dinner.. any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks everyone! PLEASE PM me if you know of any good hikes, and places to camp! thanks in advance *JBfish*

retired96
06-12-2013, 07:23 AM
My favorite place to camp is in Rock Creek, numerous campgrounds from 7500 feet to 10,000. Many are right on the creek... Your close to the Upper Owens River, Convict Lake and the lakes in Mammoth...

IncredibleHuck
06-12-2013, 08:13 AM
How far North do you want to go, and also how far off the road do you want to be?

Jbfish
06-12-2013, 10:12 AM
How far North do you want to go, and also how far off the road do you want to be?

something like maybe a mile or 2 off the road! and im okay with going pretty close to yosemite

sierraslam
06-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Saddlebag Lake would be a great place if you want to be close to Yosemite. You can car camp, or take the water taxi across and take a short backpack trip into 20 Lakes Basin. Great place to car camp and day hike too! You're only a 10-15 minute drive to the park gate from Saddlebag Lake. Check it out.

lydnbob
06-12-2013, 08:30 PM
check a place out just before bridgeport called green creek...perfect area to stay away and a short hike to nat forest if you choose..you can drive and camp close to creek...

FishinUSA
06-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Four Jeffery campground just below South Lake is a great spot to camp! We camp there every year. It is about 15 miles outside of Bishop up 168. I think it is $20 per night. Search Four Jeffery campground online for pictures and further info.

Fish Cop
06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm kinda partial to Brown's on the Owens. It's definitely not the postcard ideal of the Sierras what with being on the Upper O, but you can access a lot of water right from your camp spot.

I'll usually head out to various locales during the day and get back for the evening bite. It's awfully peaceful watching the sun drop behind the Minarets with the river slowly drifting by. And the Milky Way at night feels like you could reach up and touch it.

Throw in good showers and its a winner. Just don't piss off Rhonda, the host. It would be bad....

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
06-17-2013, 10:09 AM
hey jb go to June lake loop. my wife and i just got back from there like a month ago. best trip of my life man . awesome awesome awesome

20bucks to camp. 40 bucks to rent a boat. cant go wrong there. all the lakes are nice out there try them all out